SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #26,882 of 45,723
They all sound great so it's a matter of personal taste and what you will use as your primary headphone/IEM. However based on functionality and facts (in addition to my previous post):
  • SR15 is a smaller size than WM1a. Very important if you need to pocket or stack your DAP.
  • AK tends to update their models every year which causes quite a bit of angst to their customers.
  • No mention from Sony on an upgraded model in the same price range as WM1a.
  • WM1a cannot import or create playlists across sd card and internal memory. AK has no issues with that and very easy to do.
  • If you are a Mac user, AK data transfer is a nightmare unless you buy 3rd party apps. Android Transfer Tool is universally considered be a POS.
  • There is an active AK representative on Headfi. Nothing from Sony.
  • AK uses wheels for volume and Sony uses buttons. This is a bit of a holy war of user experience. Personally, I like buttons, except for the bizarre balls that Chord uses.
  • AK uses standard USB jacks whereas Sony is still living in the 80s with proprietary connectors. Sony does offer an adapter for micro USB but it adds considerable length that just invites breaking.
As for customer support, neither is in the top end of support experience (at least in the US). Both tend to be pretty fluffy on marketing. Lots a big scientific sounding words used.
Does the sony volume buttons go up in 1 increments or like android jump by 5 or 10 lol.

Yeah sony kinda pulled out of my city and i can only buy sony products through amazon or bestbuy and other major electronic stores.

I am afraid of the sr15s short battery life and overheating issues ive read. But it doesnt seem to be a main problem for many. The connector is a huge determinant for me, i dont like sonys proprietary connector. But i heard its good quality and transfer speeds are better than micro b. I use windows as a pc. The problem is price for me.

Sr15 is 1050$ after tax and free shipping.
The sony wm1a is 1879.00 after tax from amazon.(free shipping)

Theres almost 800$ difference, would you guys think the sound sony provides is worth double the price more? Im asking with honest intent as i have to make up my mind soon lol. Mobile phone audio is terrible.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #26,883 of 45,723
Does the sony volume buttons go up in 1 increments or like android jump by 5 or 10 lol.

Yeah sony kinda pulled out of my city and i can only buy sony products through amazon or bestbuy and other major electronic stores.

I am afraid of the sr15s short battery life and overheating issues ive read. But it doesnt seem to be a main problem for many. The connector is a huge determinant for me, i dont like sonys proprietary connector. But i heard its good quality and transfer speeds are better than micro b. I use windows as a pc. The problem is price for me.

Sr15 is 1050$ after tax and free shipping.
The sony wm1a is 1879.00 after tax from amazon.(free shipping)

Theres almost 800$ difference, would you guys think the sound sony provides is worth double the price more? Im asking with honest intent as i have to make up my mind soon lol. Mobile phone audio is terrible.

Sony volume increments are in 1’s going from 0 to 120

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #26,884 of 45,723
Has anyone compared Sony NW-WM1Z to Cayin N8? I know with regard to battery life there is no comparison.

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #26,885 of 45,723
Has anyone compared Sony NW-WM1Z to Cayin N8? I know with regard to battery life there is no comparison.

all the banter I have read regarding your question points to one logical conclusion... figure out a way to audition them both if you are seriously thinking about buying either. make sure your audition is with the gear you will be pairing it with. finally let your brain tell you what is the better $3,200 device.

my advice isn't an attempt to mock anyone, or make outrageous claims. it is to point out the your wallet will be taking the hit, so make sure you get it correct before you regret your decision

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #26,886 of 45,723
all the banter I have read regarding your question points to one logical conclusion... figure out a way to audition them both if you are seriously thinking about buying either. make sure your audition is with the gear you will be pairing it with. finally let your brain tell you what is the better $3,200 device.

my advice isn't an attempt to mock anyone, or make outrageous claims. it is to point out the your wallet will be taking the hit, so make sure you get it correct before you regret your decision

Finding anywhere in the USA to audition DAPs is pretty hard. I totally agree with that idea though. It is a pretty big hit.

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #26,887 of 45,723
Finding anywhere in the USA to audition DAPs is pretty hard. I totally agree with that idea though. It is a pretty big hit.
Same issue here in canada, only 2 stores in my entire city sell daps. And one only has super old stock with their "newest" being a fiio x7 lol

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #26,888 of 45,723

Music Direct has a 60 day return policy which they don't hassle you about if you return the item in near new condition. Music Teck (if I am correct, which does occasionally misfire) is pretty decent about trying things out also.

now you do need to purchase the item from Music Direct (not too certain with MT)

I have taken too many blind leaps based on "honest reviews" recently to ever follow that again. I don't begrudge a guy for putting together a good thing, but common sense (and a budget that does have a limit) tells me to take most reviews with a grain of salt.

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #26,889 of 45,723
Music Direct has a 60 day return policy which they don't hassle you about if you return the item in near new condition. Music Teck (if I am correct, which does occasionally misfire) is pretty decent about trying things out also.

now you do need to purchase the item from Music Direct (not too certain with MT)

I have taken too many blind leaps based on "honest reviews" recently to ever follow that again. I don't begrudge a guy for putting together a good thing, but common sense (and a budget that does have a limit) tells me to take most reviews with a grain of salt.

I already contacted them and I'm waiting for a response. Thank you

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #26,890 of 45,723

Either your wallet take a hit, or only reviewers with provided samples can tell you.

I will honestly say this, when it comes to $3,000 market pricing for portable player that is the size of a couple phones. Does it make more sense to look toward

1/ the brand
2/ the features being offered

Then the sound quality ? That is said...excellent customer service should come with it too

Honestly, from 1 and 2, Sony ticked both of those boxes. But they were too slow in opening up DAC usages. While all of the new technologies sound very promising, remember, sound performances are everything, and that is why we are here as the main reason that driving up the pricing of these DAP

Then once again, Everything that is made up WM1Z yelled “Each of the components is focused toward sound performances”, and I literally meant it, the resistors, the Filmed capacitors, the Copper chassis that went through many prototypes, and there is Sony history behind it.

Now, when you look at WM1A and it build, could you imagine if it was built by Hifi-man or Cayin ? Yeah, easily 2-3k. Why not ? A custom OS, and custom DAC :D, some marketing and hypes, and there we are.

However, I am tired of facing the way many companies are heading toward “because it sound good, it is expensive”....Sony and their release of DMP-Z1 isn’t any better either

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #26,891 of 45,723

Yeah, I agree. Reviews come from human being, and so personal preferences will come with it. Therefore, I would advise to look at review as a rough sketches and figure out if that is some sketches toward your preferences or not. But ultimately, listen to it by yourself is the best way to judge if the DAP or product is worth it (your money and time)

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #26,894 of 45,723
Is anyone else using Shure SRH1540s with Sony NW-WM1A out of balanced output?

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #26,895 of 45,723

If you really want tube output, keep in mind 2 things:

1) N8 tube output is only SE, not balanced.
2) For $370 you can get the Oriolus BA300S fully balanced amp to use with WM1z - https://penonaudio.com/oriolus-ba300s.html

Here is also a good comparison from one of the most prolific reviewers on Headfi:

https://twister6.com/2018/11/09/cayin-n8-dap/4/

It will be difficult to audition both side by side. Most retailers who sell the WM1z offer a 30 day risk free return. For the US, Musicteck sells the N8 but will charge a stocking fee if you return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back