SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #24,843 of 45,723
Has anyone successfully paired WM1A/Z with Car Audio system via Bluetooth Receiver ?

My Honda HRV unable to detect Bluetooth audio devices
Car audio with sony daps in general is a hit or miss. Of all the 3 sony daps ive tested and out of the 4 cars ive tried them on, 2 out of 4 are stable but i need to delete the bluetooth device and pair them again everytime i disconnect them. The other 2 were just plain hell to connect to. It would connect for a few seconds but it would disconnect after a while but on some occassions when there wasnt a device connected prior to turning the cars on, it would connect but the car controls (pause for/backward) would not work.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #24,844 of 45,723
Car audio with sony daps in general is a hit or miss. Of all the 3 sony daps ive tested and out of the 4 cars ive tried them on, 2 out of 4 are stable but i need to delete the bluetooth device and pair them again everytime i disconnect them. The other 2 were just plain hell to connect to. It would connect for a few seconds but it would disconnect after a while but on some occassions when there wasnt a device connected prior to turning the cars on, it would connect but the car controls (pause for/backward) would not work.

Thanks for your feedback and noted on the instability bluetooth connection.

Couple of days ago, I managed to get the WM1A connected to my car audio system via bluetooth, with security code sent from car audio system . WM1A has been added into bluetooth audio device, but i have not connected for 2nd time. Will try out this weekend.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #24,845 of 45,723
Rebuild music database manually. Option is under reset submenu

Wait a minute - I am a bit confused.
Is it possible to deactivate - rebuild music database automatically - so that on each power up the 1Z will not by default do the rebuild??

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #24,846 of 45,723
Thinking about getting the Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp to use with either the 1Z or 1A.

I've been advised that the 1A will perform just as well as the 1Z in this capacity as it will effectively be just a digital transport.

Can any 1Z / 1A experts on this forum confirm?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #24,847 of 45,723
Is it possible to deactivate - rebuild music database automatically - so that on each power up the 1Z will not by default do the rebuild??

No

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #24,848 of 45,723

Nope, but it would be easy for Sony to save the "amount of free space on the card" when they power down and check again at power up. If it hasn't changed.... don't bother to rebuild =)

Unfortunately, I doth see any Sony people on here asking for feedback...

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #24,849 of 45,723
Thinking about getting the Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp to use with either the 1Z or 1A.

I've been advised that the 1A will perform just as well as the 1Z in this capacity as it will effectively be just a digital transport.

Can any 1Z / 1A experts on this forum confirm?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

They both seem the same to me, but I haven’t given it much thought, as I believe they would be the same? But you need the dock really and a AudioQuest Cinnamon or Carbon USB cable. The second best is to use the dongle. I get my Carbon USB in about two weeks. But I can confirm the dock Is the best, the dongle is second best and the side miniUSB connection is the third best. Of course the side (third best) is a Sony USB included with a miniUSB and stabilizer plug with the Sony Walkman plug on the other end. They also include a regular USB cable with the amp.The dock has added circuits which is the understanding method which changes the sound.

So the promotional photographs all show the Walkman and TA in the third best configuration.

The Audioquest upgrade USB has been reported to really work wonders in this thread.

No one has reported the Diamond to be better than the Carbon though?
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-Cable-Type-75m/dp/B004LR7HP4

The Walkman input is miles better than SPDIF Toslink RCA into the TA from CD transport. Couldn’t tell you why? But I’ve checked it side by side.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #24,850 of 45,723
I find WM1A's 3.5mm sounds way too bright after upgrading to 3.0, the sound from 2.0 was perfect for my ie800, now its almost not bearable in a lot of songs so I factory reset back to 2.0.

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #24,853 of 45,723
Fun fact : the playing time unit stat doesn't clock any time when streaming from BT receiver so those burn in hours won't count, I haven't checked USB DAC.

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #24,855 of 45,723
Hey guess, I know for the most part this is subjective. I'm relatively new to portable audio, I mainly listen at home with a good DAC and Amp, I use Focal Elear, Shure SE846's (IEMS) and Audeze iSine's 20's and have a few others...I'm in the market for a higher end DAP, I've been looking at the Sony WM1A, WM1Z, AK SP100M, and possibly others. Besides the Sony being strictly a music player (no wifi or apps) How do the sound signatures differ? Being the Elear and SE846's are pretty laid back on the top end my ears really enjoy this sound...warm and great punch low end, obviously not the most resolving or analytical signature, but I like that. I do stream using Tidal and have Google Play Premium for music and ad free videos, and use them occasionally on my iphone, do you think by having wifi and these streaming services affects the sound of these devices? Thanks for any input.

I also see the price difference between the WM1A and 1Z. Crazy! Is the sound signature that much better with copper and better internal wiring? I've heard it does make music a tad warmer and maybe a better soundstage. Is that subjective?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back