SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #24,871 of 45,723
Thanks - I'll keep that in mind - I only recently started thinking about going down the Sony route and, as always happens with these things, it grows arms and legs and ends and ends up not being as straightforward as first thought....

Another benefit of getting a digital out Dock is to ensure compatibility with older DACs and newer DACs that need to see the 5V power rail from a USB input. For instance, none of my Sony Walkman with USB digital out will work with the Yggy and Matrix DACs unless a coonection is made via the USB digital out from the dock.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #24,872 of 45,723
That's a lot to take in - I don't even think the Sony dock is available in the UK - I've certainly never seen or heard of it until now.

So, sound-quality wise, would it matter whether I used the 1Z or the 1A with the dock?

I thought they had different capacitors in the 1Z, but I could be wrong?Though it’s true the wiring and case work are different between the two. None of these differences affect the digital transport quality; so I’d guess they are the same. The dock is a Japan only product, but they do sell them on Amazon.com. I purchased mine from the Sony store in Tokyo.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #24,873 of 45,723
Thanks - I'll keep that in mind - I only recently started thinking about going down the Sony route and, as always happens with these things, it grows arms and legs and ends and ends up not being as straightforward as first thought....

You may think this beginning learning curve is aggressive, but after you own the products it’s stuff a 10 year old could use correctly. The TA amp is absolutely simplistic. Turning on and listening is how easy it is. Now vinyl turntables? That’s another story.

If your planing to use the Z1R look into the into the MUC-B20SB1 cable by Kimber or even the Axios. I haven’t tried the Axios, but the MUC-B20SB1 is such a dramatic improvement it almost has to be mentioned. So it’s like this Sony gear is fine out of the box; but surprisingly scales up with added stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #24,875 of 45,723
Turning on and listening is how easy it is. Now vinyl turntables? That’s another story.

Funny, I thought turntables we're pretty simple too. Get a brand new record, make sure its clean, play it with a decent needle and record. Because it wont sound as good after the first play ever again. Care to comment?

I have a copy of Thom Yorke - The Eraser on vinyl and its so scratched to crap, it sounds absolutely great.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #24,876 of 45,723
Had my first crash while trying to create a playlist. Let the "creating database" commence!
Mine randomly crashed whilst listening to a track on the player (ie not on the card), volume down, volume up, volume down... eurgh, look at the screen and it has that wiggly intro line of impending time wasted waiting for a rebuild.

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #24,877 of 45,723
Funny, I thought turntables we're pretty simple too. Get a brand new record, make sure its clean, play it with a decent needle and record. Because it wont sound as good after the first play ever again. Care to comment?

I have a copy of Thom Yorke - The Eraser on vinyl and its so scratched to ****, it sounds absolutely great.

There are more pages on a single aspect of vinyl sound reproduction; like cartridges, which fills internet pages 100 times more than this 1/A 1/Z thread. I don’t want to wonder too far off topic, considering I started this off topic. Lol

But I agree in theory the vinyl starts to wear out starting with the first play. Though with a careful set up a normal person should not notice the wear with regular use of the album. A microscope will show it after 10 years, but the record will sound fine. I’m so beyond the whole digital vs vinyl debate........I was sick of it in 2010. I don’t care. People should just find what makes them happy. I used to collect records like a crack addict, though now I only have a few. I’ll just say this and leave the subject.

Vinyl is a hassle but it can be wonderful with good effort. Digital is easer. At times vinyl sounds better. But if you were into 1960s-1980s music; much of the original masters of the albums were mixed and mastered for vinyl. Those masters are different. There is a digital master and a vinyl master. Much of that 60s-80s music never received a correct master for CD. Still it’s hit or miss, I think my digital copies of RUSH are far superior to the vinyl I collected using my vinyl reference system. I’m pretty much all digital now, but also because vinyl is difficult to find where I live. Also I’m too lazy to put the effort into vinyl, I’ve been there; done that.

The sound too is very subjective. People who are used to clean digital can be appalled by the noisy pops and cracks from their new $100 vinyl 180 gram repressing. They think because it’s cool and they spent 5K on a turntable, cartridge and phono preamp that all’s well. Sadly it’s not that easy. It takes the brain about one to two weeks to learn to filter those pops out. Every turntable on earth has ground hum. And that’s just the start of the iceberg. Proper set-up and enjoyment is better left to those tweekers who want to fiddle around for 30 minutes before they hear a song.

Also for those curious, they really should wait to hear a good system before making any judgment. A really good turntable tracks different and will set the needle way farther down in the groove reducing most surface noise and pops by about 50%. The only way you would even learn concepts like this would be spending years with a set of records and a garage sale medium level turntable then jumping to a 2K set-up. There is still ground hum, hum and 50% less pops and surface noise so it’s a little more easy to get used to. Also if you were to only listen to your digital for two months, you would need to train your brain to filter out the noise all over again.

Deep down though I feel the bass is different. The cool part about today’s technology is we can have warm DAPs like the 1Z and warm headphones like the ZR1 and they can actually warm up some aspects of digital. We didn’t have gear like we have today even 10 years ago. Part of the industry has changed what it thought reference tone was, so equipment is actually getting warmer and contains a better way to exhibit digital bass. The digital bass is different but charming in it’s own way.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #24,878 of 45,723
There is more pages on a single aspect of vinyl sound reproduction; like cartridges, which fills internet pages 100 times more than this 1/A 1/Z thread. I don’t want to wonder too far off topic, considering I started this off topic. Lol

But I agree in theory the vinyl starts to wear out starting with the first play. Though with a careful set up a normal person should not notice the wear with regular use of the album. A microscope will show it after 10 years, but the record will sound fine. I’m so beyond the whole digital vs vinyl debate........I was sick of it in 2010. I don’t care. People should just find what makes them happy. I used to collect records like a crack addict, though now I only have a few. I’ll just say this and leave the subject.

Vinyl is a hassle but it can be wonderful with good effort. Digital is easer. At times vinyl sounds better. But if you were into 1960s-1980s music; much of the original masters of the albums were mixed and mastered for vinyl. Those masters are different. There is a digital master and a vinyl master. Much of that 60s-80s music never received a correct master for CD. Still it’s hit or miss, I think my digital copies of RUSH are far superior to the vinyl I collected using my vinyl reference system. I’m pretty much all digital now, but also because vinyl is difficult to find where I live. Also I’m too lazy to put the effort into vinyl, I’ve been there; done that.

The sound too is very subjective. People who are used to clean digital can be appalled by the noisy pops and cracks from their new $100 vinyl 180 gram repressing. They think because it’s cool and they spent 5K on a turntable, cartridge and phono preamp that all’s well. Sadly it’s not that easy. It takes the brain about one to two weeks to learn to filter those pops out. Every turntable on earth has ground hum. And that’s just the start of the iceberg. Proper set-up and enjoyment is better left to those tweekers who want to fiddle around for 30 minutes before they hear a song.

My excat feelings on turntables after owning them for last 20 years Way before they were cool.....

They Are Easy Solutions like Rega but put the gloves, wash the record etc is way too much hassle for me

You can not beat those new pressings of blue note with a good turntable but too much money for jazz, the rest is not very different

My ideal turntable would be Kronos Sparta perfect but my CD is not bad as well, i tried 1z with my Stereo and it is also very good but not as good as the CD player, detail and sound stage separation is not there, but I am using a very cheap 3.5mm/rca which I will change soon

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #24,879 of 45,723
Right those Blue Note repressings on a 100K home system with 6K in room treatments sound better than digital ever could. This is what I believe. And it’s amazing what can be achieved at a medium expenditure; so my hats off to those who go ahead and jump into vinyl. I also spent 30-40 years concentrating on records. My problem is I like authority in my music. So much of the time my last big run of buying records was troublesome with half the records not having the authority I wanted. So it gets expensive fast. And you only like half of what you invested in. Digital may not be quite everything but it’s easy to use and is more predictable. Plus vinyl is delicate, you can grab your favorite record to find it warped for no reason at all. You can bend your needle cantilever in 1 second and need to send it in for a re-tip. I have tried to make digital like vinyl and I enjoy the ease of use.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #24,880 of 45,723
I tried only one time the turntable tweak on 1z., if i miss my turtable:)

But i never sold my records, 1000+ in a depot boxed in my home country waiting for my retierment, my Dr Fieckert is up for sale, i did bring it to my new country

I am still trying to undertand the bluetooth connection with z1, using a phone with bluetooth for source to a "pure" walkman sounds funny

It worked very good witg my lg30 phone - still without oreo so no ldac-

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #24,881 of 45,723
Bluetooth sounds OK watching YouTube videos, though far from prefect. Though it seems better codecs get better quality. Streaming Bluetooth from the 1A to the 1Z sounds good, though there is no practical reason for it. As more devices get better codecs it could become useful.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #24,882 of 45,723
Received customized leather case from EASECASE , satisfy with their craftsmanship. Ordered from Chinese Taobao. Many colour choices , leather pattern type to choose from. It's selling cheaper in Chinese Taobao than AliExpress. 20181019_222326.jpg

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #24,883 of 45,723
To anyone that wonder how the DC phase linearizer feel like ? It is rather strange. There are 6 modes

Type A (low, standard, high)
Type B (Low, standard, high)

Low: shift the phase toward the sub-bass. It is not exactly the sub bass that got boosted, but it feel like the energy and dynamic density is shifted toward the emphasis of sub-bass

Standard: similar effect, but is spread out to all bass spectrum instead of focusing in low

High: my most non-favor effect, still the same effect, but the shift is focusing into upper bass or even more into lower mid spectrum bass rather than the bass alone.

Type A: it feel like the bass is widely spread out in a spherical field of rendering. Easier to listen to and more general with all kind of genres.

Type B: it feel like the bass is spread from further away but pinpointed focuses toward the audiences. It results in a much more pin-point focuses onto vocal. Say, if you observe and look ahead, the bass is spread out around and behind the singer and each drum set is arranged into you from that far away with the singer stand closer to you. This is excellent for Jazz and some Ballads

My favorite effects now is

D.C. Phase linerizatoin: Type A, Low
DSEE HX: String. This focuses more into mid spectrum especially upper mid and into lower trebles...I love it for my main genres

:D. I hope it is useful....otherwise, just Direct Source for the heck of it. The WM Walkman is Excellent in DSP and EQ. It would be a waste to not use it
Yup, this combination works rather well for me too on the 1A, glad I found this post!

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #24,885 of 45,723
My excat feelings on turntables after owning them for last 20 years Way before they were cool.....

They Are Easy Solutions like Rega but put the gloves, wash the record etc is way too much hassle for me

You can not beat those new pressings of blue note with a good turntable but too much money for jazz, the rest is not very different

My ideal turntable would be Kronos Sparta perfect but my CD is not bad as well, i tried 1z with my Stereo and it is also very good but not as good as the CD player, detail and sound stage separation is not there, but I am using a very cheap 3.5mm/rca which I will change soon

The 1Z is not going to sound that great hooked up to a stereo with something like a 3.5mm to 2X RCA. It’s because your double amping. It would probably be OK going directly to a poweramp using only the Z1 and a cable, but I haven’t tried it. Typically though the 1Z is going to be better going to a DAC then to a stereo. One way is to go from the 1Z to the TA DAC/amp then select volume adjusted out to a poweramp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back