SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #24,811 of 45,723
Quick first impressions of the 1Z

giphy.gif

This is something else!
I am gathering notes for detailed impressions... and it's late here in Paris so later... but oh my, I am happy :beyersmile:

First impressions are great, but I feel it takes a couple days to get the full idea of the 1Z. So....... you may be getting even less sleep....in the future. Lol

Congratulations

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #24,812 of 45,723
First impressions are great, but I feel it takes a couple days to get the full idea of the 1Z. So....... you may be getting even less sleep....in the future. Lol

Thanks, I sure think I still have a lot to discover about the amazing capabilities of the 1Z... I'll sure clock much more time than the previous owner 190h in 4 months, my monthly average being more like 150/180 hours :blush:

I fear I might become antisocial and lost in the beauty of music, I have to schedule breaks :p

It's cliché but I am rediscovering albums right now, hearing layers I never heard before (more than details it's more about how the soundstage is rendered, the incredible depth, the beautiful transients and nuances with a very emotional portraying of both instruments and vocals...). I am also rediscovering CL2, Phantom and VE8...

Bass has such texture, electric guitar such bite... yum !

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #24,813 of 45,723
Is there a way to set WM1A with 3.0 to sound warmer like 1.2?
I really like new features in 3.0 but the sound is so bright and flat for me that reversed to 1.2 now. Really tried to like it but just cant...
Listen and listen, 3.0 has bigger soundstage, more clear but hights are so engaging that anointed me. There is no way just to relax while listening, always look for something missing in the sound. Yesterday try my old ZX2, was not used half a year, and boom, everething missing from WM1A with 3.0 was there, relaxing, full bodied, i can "touch" the music...after that just installed 1.2...:frowning2:

Tried and with my wife...:)...Put as identical, known for here song on both players, WM1A with 3.0 and ZX2, first was 1A, she likes it, listen a bit, the suddenly says - Something is missing here...Was not surprised at all. Put the same song with same earphones on ZX2, she said - Excellent, I can touch the music. What is wrong with the new model? /she means 1A/.

So for now I'm in the group for 1.x lovers...:) So good features in 3.0...such a waste for me.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #24,814 of 45,723
Might be out of thread, is there any difference pentaconn and non 4.4mm plug? Thinking of getting a diy cable

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #24,817 of 45,723
@nc8000: Just wanted to say thanks. I used your DropBox link to the FW installers. Reverted back to 2.0 for my 1Z from 3.0 with no issues. I'm strictly a library listener so the other features don't matter so much.

You’re welcome. I’m in exactly the same position so 2.0 is fine since 3.0 keeps crashing

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #24,818 of 45,723
in an effort to answer a question in my head regarding the 3.0 firmware reboots.. would all affected list the region that the unit was originally made for and whether or not it was rockboxed and which region it is now?

trying to determine if it the condition is widespread or focused on a specific region player

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #24,819 of 45,723
in an effort to answer a question in my head regarding the 3.0 firmware reboots.. would all affected list the region that the unit was originally made for and whether or not it was rockboxed and which region it is now?

trying to determine if it the condition is widespread or focused on a specific region player

Bought in EU (CEW or CEW2) and changed to region E

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #24,820 of 45,723
Is there a way to set WM1A with 3.0 to sound warmer like 1.2?
I really like new features in 3.0 but the sound is so bright and flat for me that reversed to 1.2 now. Really tried to like it but just cant...
Listen and listen, 3.0 has bigger soundstage, more clear but hights are so engaging that anointed me. There is no way just to relax while listening, always look for something missing in the sound. Yesterday try my old ZX2, was not used half a year, and boom, everething missing from WM1A with 3.0 was there, relaxing, full bodied, i can "touch" the music...after that just installed 1.2...:frowning2:

Tried and with my wife...:)...Put as identical, known for here song on both players, WM1A with 3.0 and ZX2, first was 1A, she likes it, listen a bit, the suddenly says - Something is missing here...Was not surprised at all. Put the same song with same earphones on ZX2, she said - Excellent, I can touch the music. What is wrong with the new model? /she means 1A/.

So for now I'm in the group for 1.x lovers...:) So good features in 3.0...such a waste for me.
You could try vinyl processor mode and select "surface noise". It adds the warmth and the much needed body to the sound.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #24,821 of 45,723
You could try vinyl processor mode and select "surface noise". It adds the warmth and the much needed body to the sound.

Tried all, there is a change in sound, but not like SQ of 1.2. Re flashed several times already, just to compare. I think that is also related with used earphones. Som with nice sineggy with 1.2 just cannot sound good with 3.0 and via versa.
For example my AT CKR100 plays very nice with 1.2, but with 3.0 is unbearable. My other primary ones are JVC HA-FX1100 they can handle 3.0 good, just because they have a lot of bass. I'm curious, what earphones, some more bassy and warm, L shaped may be, could be recommended for WM1A with 3.0? Target is to keep 3.0 features and wider sound-stage but add some warm and bass?

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #24,823 of 45,723
Tried all, there is a change in sound, but not like SQ of 1.2. Re flashed several times already, just to compare. I think that is also related with used earphones. Som with nice sineggy with 1.2 just cannot sound good with 3.0 and via versa.
For example my AT CKR100 plays very nice with 1.2, but with 3.0 is unbearable. My other primary ones are JVC HA-FX1100 they can handle 3.0 good, just because they have a lot of bass. I'm curious, what earphones, some more bassy and warm, L shaped may be, could be recommended for WM1A with 3.0? Target is to keep 3.0 features and wider sound-stage but add some warm and bass?

I am using Acoustune HS1650CU, which is nicer on 3.0 than 2.0.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #24,824 of 45,723
screenshot_20160422_090035781.png

This is maybe what happens when you build two players with different sound. It seems Sony concentrated on the 1Z with 3.0 as FW 3.0 is a complement to it’s intrinsic strengths and weaknesses. Sadly there is no headphones in my collection that are that great with 3.0/1A combo? Even the L shaped signatures are messed up with it. Best to roll the 1A back to FW 2.0. It’s sad because so many aspects are great with 3.0 as far as soundstage, imaging and much of the personality overall. It’s just that the 1A would benefit from a slight change in lower frequencies from maybe a new software called FW3.1 if Sony ever addressed the issue.

I typically don’t use EQ, but have you explored the tone knobs? I do use EQ with one IEM.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #24,825 of 45,723
This is maybe what happens when you build two players with different sound. It seems Sony concentrated on the 1Z with 3.0 as FW 3.0 is a complement to it’s intrinsic strengths and weaknesses. Sadly there is no headphones in my collection that are that great with 3.0/1A combo? Even the L shaped signatures are messed up with it. Best to roll the 1A back to FW 2.0. It’s sad because so many aspects are great with 3.0 as far as soundstage, imaging and much of the personality overall. It’s just that the 1A would benefit from a slight change in lower frequencies from maybe a new software called FW3.1 if Sony ever addressed the issue.

I typically don’t use EQ, but have you explored the tone knobs? I do use EQ with one IEM.
I feel with FW 3.0 the MDR-Z1R and XBA-Z5 spund very very nice and detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back