SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #24,796 of 45,723
I always leave it on. And when I put in my backpack I turn hold on.

Fw3.0 does scanning of the library when switching between player and dac mode.

And sometimes the time of the song that's displayed is more than the actual length of the song.

That issue goes away after another database scanning. Quite weird bug actually.

Does Sony ever release the source code? If they do then we can take a look at it.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #24,797 of 45,723
529FACDB-57B0-4CB4-A546-030E13327F00.jpeg

Looks like the ZX300 rounded edges and Sony made gold plug areas. Even the finish looks like Sony.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” Thank-you FiiO

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #24,799 of 45,723
Quick first impressions of the 1Z

giphy.gif

This is something else!
I am gathering notes for detailed impressions... and it's late here in Paris so later... but oh my, I am happy :beyersmile:

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #24,801 of 45,723

giphy.gif

This is something else!
I am gathering notes for detailed impressions... and it's late here in Paris so later... but oh my, I am happy :beyersmile:

Same thought here when I tried 1z a few weeks ago, VE8+1z is almost a perfect match :)
wm1z-ve8.png

contrary to my beliefs, 1z's clarity is excellent despite being warm. And bass extension (with VE8) is very good! And i can listen to it for hours without getting fatigue or it getting too hot for me to handle :k701smile:

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #24,802 of 45,723
Same thought here when I tried 1z a few weeks ago, VE8+1z is almost a perfect match :)

contrary to my beliefs, 1z's clarity is excellent despite being warm. And bass extension (with VE8) is very good! And i can listen to it for hours without getting fatigue or it getting too hot for me to handle :k701smile:
I find it better than Hugo 2 as far as signature goes.

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #24,803 of 45,723

giphy.gif

This is something else!

No doubt, the 1Z has unbeatable timbres....previous firmwares had a narrower soundstage, but if newest firmware improved it, then that would be jaw dropping :)

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #24,805 of 45,723
What version? U enjoy it over dx200 variants.?
I do definitely. Even though Dx200 and Dx200Ti are excellent, WM1Z is definitely a few steps above them.

I would say Wm1/k-mod premium plus wm1a and Dx200/Dx200Ti to be in the same neighborhood as far as sound signature and sound quality goes.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #24,806 of 45,723
I do definitely. Even though Dx200 and Dx200Ti are excellent, WM1Z is definitely a few steps above them.

I would say Wm1/k-mod premium plus wm1a and Dx200/Dx200Ti to be in the same neighborhood as far as sound signature and sound quality goes.

I am not so sure about putting modified wm1Z to be ahead of Dx200Ti. I sold my modified Wm1Z, but I am happily staying with dx200Ti and Modified Amp8 module out of Hd800S. A friend of mine briefly compared Modified 1Z to stock Dx200Ti and Stock Amp8, which he totally agreed that stock for stock, Dx200Ti and Amp8 would be on par, but his modified wm1Z is still more favorable to his preferences as it was modified under that specific goal. Anyways, if he was to listen to Dx200Ti and Modified Amp8, I am sure he would love it just as much

IMO, both wm1Z and Dx200Ti is about the same level, with only different in practicality such as DSD512 capability on Dx200Ti and WM1Z is not capable of that. Before this 3.0 firmware, Wm1Z was less useful because it couldn’t offer Bluetooth/DAC function or usb/DAC function. Battery life Wm1Z wins obviously, but power output the Dx200Ti will be pulling ahead. Both are very enjoyable in different ways. Separations, soundstage-width, airiness, articulations, and details retrieval goes to Dx200, where as Timbres, inner resolutions, fluidity, musicality, soundstage-Vertical rendering goes to Wm1Z.

But that is just me. I sold WM1Z and I don’t regret owning Dx200Ti and Amp8 for my Hd800S enjoyment. Strangely enough, I sold Wm1Z to get out of DAP and sticking to Stax desktop only, but I am quiet happy with Dx200Ti ...LOL.

If you are so much lucky to have both, enjoy them all. Perhap, if you are extremes Sony fan, look toward DMP-Z1, I guess Ibasso had steered me

In the end of the day, DAP will compromise some to gain some, there is no perfect DAP...hell, there is no perfect Desktop systems either. It is your absolute satisfaction that will make them perfect. Can you reach that ? If you can’t, you are not alone :D

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #24,808 of 45,723
The WM1Z had such a profound effect on me that I only slept 2 hours :p
Note that it's my first secondhand DAP and it clocked 190 hours when I got it (closer to 200 now). So it's already to minimal burn in :)

What version? U enjoy it over dx200 variants.?

Not modded, "vanilla" WM1Z with firmware 3.0 (uncapped).

Yes I do enjoy it a lot, it has a power and authority that it very reminiscent of great desktop amp, maybe even something tubey to the sound. Analogue sounding.
The bass is simply out of this world, quantity comes to mind but more importantly quality with great textures and dynamics... wow.
Treble is not mentioned often but it's much airier than I would have thought from reading reviews!

And mids are very clean, highly articulate and musical (at least firmware 3.0). Vocals have so much textures and convey minute nuances... yum!

DX200(and Ti) are a very different flavor, much more reference tuned, smooth detailed and to me a lot more balanced but well, listening to the WM1Z I like the immensely rich sound that comes out of it with a sense of grandeur (that soundstage ! In particular depth...). I loved it with ZX2, liked it with WM1A (firmware 1.x) and I am thrilled by WM1Z. There is something to the Sony house sound that appeals to me...

Contrary to my beliefs, 1z's clarity is excellent despite being warm. And bass extension (with VE8) is very good! And i can listen to it for hours without getting fatigue or it getting too hot for me to handle :k701smile:

Exactly! The VE8 pairing is exquisite and quite frankly it's up to par with the best... @popof94 Flamenco with SP1000Cu and 1960 4 wires comes to mind.
This pairing kept me up until 5 in the morning!

I had spent a lot of time with the Phantom on the DX200, I think the VE8 is going to get more listening time now. Not that the Phantom doesn't pair well, but the best synergy is with VE8.

IMO, both wm1Z and Dx200Ti is about the same level, with only different in practicality such as DSD512 capability on Dx200Ti and WM1Z is not capable of that. Before this 3.0 firmware, Wm1Z was less useful because it couldn’t offer Bluetooth/DAC function or usb/DAC function. Battery life Wm1Z wins obviously, but power output the Dx200Ti will be pulling ahead. Both are very enjoyable in different ways. Separations, soundstage-width, airiness, articulations, and details retrieval goes to Dx200, where as Timbres, inner resolutions, fluidity, musicality, soundstage-Vertical rendering goes to Wm1Z. But that is just me. I sold WM1Z and I don’t regret owning Dx200Ti and Amp8 for my Hd800S enjoyment. Strangely enough, I sold Wm1Z to get out of DAP and sticking to Stax desktop only, but I am quiet happy with Dx200Ti ...LOL.
If you are so much lucky to have both, enjoy them all. Perhap, if you are extremes Sony fan, look toward DMP-Z1, I guess Ibasso had steered me. In the end of the day, DAP will compromise some to gain some, there is no perfect DAP...hell, there is no perfect Desktop systems either. It is your absolute satisfaction that will make them perfect. Can you reach that ? If you can’t, you are not alone :D

Yeah I wished I could have kept both (DX200 Ti sale financed the 1Z), I mostly agree with what you're saying. It's more about signature preference than pure performance.
One thing I didn't expect is the driving power of the 1Z, I know specs favor clearly the DX200(Ti) but the authority with which the WM1Z drives is pretty impressive. Probably also a matter of signature, WM1Z is denser.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #24,809 of 45,723
Has anyone successfully connected to Car Audio system via BT receiver ? What brand and model of car ?

Finally able to connect my 1A bluetooth connection to my car audio system via SBC ... not by BT receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back