SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #21,721 of 45,723
It very well may have changed... I did have to do a lot more work on iTunes after the initial downloads to get everything ready for the Sony... Most of what I did was totally trial and error...

If you're not done yet, you might want to look into Metadatics, or at a little more $$, Bliss. I've only experience with the former, but am going to experiment with the later shortly. Takes the guess work out - clearly indicates if the artwork is embedded in the music file.

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #21,722 of 45,723
An update:

So there is certainly something fishy with the US Support of the WM1A...

I have an NW-WM1A thats about 18 months old. As some of you know, it locked up while creating the database and I had to power it off and on again. Its almost certainly just a software problem.

Its stuck in a continual reboot look - it powers on, I see the logo and then the "wavy lines" for around 45 seconds, and it reboots again.

I called Sony multiple times this last few days and they informed me of a few things:

1... Under warrantee your unit is simply swapped out for a new unit... however they have no actual units available for this. Sony says you need to provide your copy of your receipt and they then look at a buy back.
2... If you are not under warrantee there is a company authorized in the US to do repairs: United Radio Service Inc. at 1-800-634-8606.
3... United Radio tells me that they have called Sony on this particular model and Sony was not willing/able to give them the main board programming software. As a result a WM1A is an "Unservicable item"
4... So right now my case has "been referred to upper management" @ Sony so we'll see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone heard anything about the 1A being discontinued?

I'm currently living in Vietnam and am using a loaner from my local dealer as there is no inventory in the country at present. He insists they will have new inventory in 30 days, however, another distributor said that Sony recently ceased production and discontinued the model.

This would maybe seem to hit on point #1 above....

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #21,723 of 45,723
I'm reterminating my Uber Too cable to 4.4 TRRRS. Does anyone have a read on what is currently the best plug? I'm looking at the Furutech CF.-7445 over the Eidolic offering. I was also told by Music Sanctuary that they are expecting some pure copper plugs without plating from Topura. What do you think?

I'm looking for something smooth and sparkling with the largest soundstage available. Durability isn't an issue as it seems these days I'm regularly reterminating new standards and gear.

Just picked up the ......
Han Sound Audio Zen 4 wire OCC litz copper cable terminated Furutech 4.4mm.

The plug is the same model your interested in. Don’t have enough experience with 4.4mm plugs to answer your question. But the plug is nicely made. I would be worried about 100% copper as it will discolor.

My pure 100% copper IEMs have discolored.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #21,724 of 45,723
To avoid hassles of iToons and other music managemeny software not embedding into the music files. I use MP3TAG and voila

Jul 21, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #21,725 of 45,723

I'm currently living in Vietnam and am using a loaner from my local dealer as there is no inventory in the country at present. He insists they will have new inventory in 30 days, however, another distributor said that Sony recently ceased production and discontinued the model.
So maybe this confirms the rumored sony 40th anniversary edition YAY :D. In mexico is still in stock (WM1A) but with a 25% off (from $20,000MXN to $14999MXN)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #21,728 of 45,723

I've been wondering about that too. If you go to Sony Japan's site and pull up the Walkman main page, the "WM1" series link will only show the WM1Z.

https://www.sony.jp/walkman/?s_pid=jp_top_PRODUCTS_WALKMAN -> https://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-WM1Z/

The WM1A doesn't appear, unless you go to the bottom of the Walkman page and click on the blue button with some Japanese and the number (14) on it. (See the whole lineup)

https://www.sony.jp/walkman/lineup/ -> https://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-WM1A/

I don't know what the significance might be of getting moved to the 'whole lineup' page. It could be that they're just featuring items they want to sell the most. Or, it could be a sort of limbo, where products no longer in production but still with stock on shelves go to wait until they're completely sold out. Until about 2 months ago, for example, you could still see the zx100 on that page. Or, it could mean nothing.

I think you will still get a chance to buy the 1A. The big retailers in Japan such as Bic Camera have 'check stock' links and I was checking them rather furiously a few months ago. My wife got the 1A for me in Tokyo a few weeks ago. I checked Bic Camera just now, and the 'in stock' situation is better for the 1A today than I've seen it for months.

TBH I don't get the people here who are hungry for this rumored (but yet-nonexistent) 40th Anniversary model. If such a thing happens, I expect it to be a crowd-pleaser product and not a step up from the WM1 Walkmans. (Walkmen?)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #21,734 of 45,723
That bat headphones in your avatar will be

vmsXZTf.gif

Thanks for noticing. I went 11 years here without an avatar, so it was difficult settling on something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back