SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #18,406 of 45,723
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #18,407 of 45,723
Interesting to read 80% of this thread and still we only have ideas on how to approximate the tone the of 1Z prior to the last 2.0 firmware update.

I’m now using slight EQ changes taking three notches off the mid-band dial and one single notch back off the treble dial in the dial EQ settings. I did try to use the other setting changes which were first suggested by members here after the update to 2.0 occurred, but feel the suggestive settings did not replicate the warmth of the prior sound signature.

Am I missing something here, or would it not simply be standard for Sony themselves to suggest a way to get the old sound signature? I like the changes in volume power and extended sound-stage with 2.0 but would like to detour Direct Source (Direct) and get a slightly warmer tone without going back to the older FW?

I know this may have something to do with Sony basically saying “OK” it’s better now? Still it seems beyond my ability to test the frequency response and obtain a quality profile frequency graph to try and replicate the old warmer FW prior to the update. It seems as it would be simple EQ science or maybe beyond such stuff?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #18,409 of 45,723
Interesting to read 80% of this thread and still we only have ideas on how to approximate the tone the of 1Z prior to the last 2.0 firmware update.

I’m now using slight EQ changes taking three notches off the mid-band dial and one single notch back off the treble dial in the dial EQ settings. I did try to use the other setting changes which were first suggested by members here after the update to 2.0 occurred, but feel the suggestive settings did not replicate the warmth of the prior sound signature.

Am I missing something here, or would it not simply be standard for Sony themselves to suggest a way to get the old sound signature? I like the changes in volume power and extended sound-stage with 2.0 but would like to detour Direct Source (Direct) and get a slightly warmer tone without going back to the older FW?

I know this may have something to do with Sony basically saying “OK” it’s better now? Still it seems beyond my ability to test the frequency response and obtain a quality profile frequency graph to try and replicate the old warmer FW prior to the update. It seems as it would be simple EQ science or maybe beyond such stuff?

On page 1136 Kubig123 had a post that has a link to re-install 1.02.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #18,412 of 45,723
IMG_20180205_212826_809.jpg
With the latest firmware you can play mqa and ape file on your wm1a/z.
And the result is fabulous!

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #18,414 of 45,723
But as i have read the MQA is a kind of a lossy compression.. i'd stick with 24-bit FLAC and DSD
No definitely not... I know MQA is a bit controversial in many discussion forums but from my own experience comparing the Buena Vista Social Club album between 24/96 flac and MQA the difference is apparent that the MQA is better. The soundstage, the precise positioning of equipment and timing is superior.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #18,415 of 45,723
No definitely not... I know MQA is a bit controversial in many discussion forums but from my own experience comparing the Buena Vista Social Club album between 24/96 flac and MQA the difference is apparent that the MQA is better. The soundstage, the precise positioning of equipment and timing is superior.
Sounds kinda like i hear with DSD files (2.8224MHz). On the other hand good sony is opening their minds up and accepting Ape files, personally i don't use ape files but for those folks who have ape libraries good to have an alternative

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #18,416 of 45,723

I read that too.
The album could be also a new remastered version, the one I bought (the doors) was remaster but not I a good way.
But if you like it enjoy it, this is what matter!

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #18,418 of 45,723
I read that too.
The album could be also a new remastered version, the one I bought (the doors) was remaster but not I a good way.
But if you like it enjoy it, this is what matter!

All MQA stuff is re-mastered as part of the MQA process - at least, stuff that wasn't mastered with MQA as part of the original mastering process (if that makes sense!).

I like MQA and to date, the few (classical) albums I have bought in MQA have all sound very good indeed. Not a duff entry in the list. The one thing I would like to know is to what extent the Walkman can unfold an MQA file? Sony has been curiously quiet on this front, and I think they should come clean so that people understand better exactly what the unit is capable of.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #18,419 of 45,723
On page 1136 Kubig123 had a post that has a link to re-install 1.02.

Yes, like I said, I’ve read almost this whole thread. Perfectly aware of how to go back to FW 1.02.

Just asking if anyone else has been able to approximate the warmth of FW 1.02 other than the EQ. I know there has already been other posts on the subject. My question came as wondering why Sony has not released something like an EQ setting to get to the sound of 1.02?

I’m perfectly happy using EQ and think I’m getting both the warmth of 1.02 as well as the soundstage and power increase of 2.0 FW update.

It just seems something like this would be more documented and scientific, like a graph which shows frequency responses equally measured with 1.02 flat............and FW 2.0 with EQ.

I’m happy doing a simple EQ for one set of IEMs and maybe would not be one of the 1.02 Luddites.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #18,420 of 45,723
The stage on this 1A man... so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back