SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Steen Pihl
    Hi Fr_eak.
    I bought this album on your recommendation and you’re absolutely right! I’ve read about all the controversial discussions and “held back”, but it sounds so much better! If you’re going to try MQA, this is a great album to try out! Thanks for your advice!

2. flyer1
    After extensive auditioning of several firmwares I decided I like the sound of 1.02 the best on my 1Z+XBAZ5 setup.

With every update the sound signature became brighter and less pleasantly analogue to my ears, less of what Sony does usually so well with their specific Sony house sound. I do get what they are trying to achieve with 2.0, like in extracting more detail and a more powerfull sound or even better soundstage etc.

That may not be what I like but I do understand it is hard to please alI of us. I guess the Sony Marketing department knows best what the majority wants..Hope that in future updates there will be more choice to keep a specific sound signature with presets as already mentioned by several on here.

As it is now Sony is disappointing quite a few of its longterm clientèle.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. nc8000 Contributor
    Seems the mqa version can only by bought from onkyomusic and only when the credit card is based in US, UK or Germany. The normal hires flac can be bought other places.

4. Hawaiibadboy Contributor
    Mathieulh likes this.
  5. haiku
    Yes, I bought Linda Ronstadt´s "Simple Dreams" album. Sounds horrible, so that´s it for me with mqa. :thumbsdown:

6. Redcarmoose
    Thank-you so much for the input. Funny too as the Z5s are a set of IEMs that actually sound perfect to my ears with Direct and 2.0 FW. Lol. But the two of us may also be using different cables which some believe has an effect. The XBA-Z5s continue to amaze me, especially how they deal with reverb tone and delays, ever so natural!

Back to the Firmware:
    But again it’s simply how subjective all this DAP tone preference IS. And..... not to add convolution to an already confusing subject; everyone is getting a sound which fits with what they are used to and music genre choice.

I updated to FW 2.0 only days after getting the unit, where I can presume many spent hours and hours with 1.02 before trying out FW 2.0.

It’s actually a concept which must be beyond simple EQ. But the players offer other variations of amplifier emulations, which frankly don’t seem to do much for my ears. Same as the MP3 to HD upgrade processing, which sounds like a cool idea, though I fail to hear the improvement there?

As mentioned in the past in this thread, it would be nice if Sony could offer different FW update sound signature settings in an EQ style format, which we could change on the fly.

But I’m getting the idea that the FW updates must be doing something more than EQ and amplifier choices, like we have? And don’t get me wrong I’m 101% satisfied but simply trying to dial the sound in closer to not having to use EQ.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    roses77 and flyer1 like this.
  7. gerelmx1986
    Record label playing trick or simply they ruined it as DG did it with thr mozart edition 225

8. Drumonron
    What format, may I ask do you use?

9. gerelmx1986
    what do you mean by format?

File format? I use FLAC & DSD (.dsf because these can be tagged as opposed to dff)

Sd card format? exFAt fro cards >64GB fat32 fro anything <64GB = Sony walkman is smart to chose the right FAT system as i noted formatting my smartphone 32GB card and my 400G card

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. Hawaiibadboy Contributor
    50% 44.1 / 16 FLAC
    20% 192, 96 / 24, 16 FLAC
    30% D.S.D

11. nc8000 Contributor
    Well as I understand it mqa is only lossy if you play it on devices that don’t support mqa and then it is lossy hires so still better than red book. On the other hand, again as I understand it, mqa don’t (like traditional lossless formats) recreate the original waveform but rather an “improved” version that one may or may not like.

12. Hawaiibadboy Contributor
    It is a lossy compression form. The methods, quality are all subjective but it is in fact a lossy format regardless of what it plays from.

dougi555 likes this.
  13. Fr_eak
    Have you got any reference to support this statement?

14. Hawaiibadboy Contributor
    superuser1 likes this.
  15. captblaze