SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. NickL33
    Has anyone try premium sound sd card?

2. kms108
    Yes

3. NickL33

Worth it?? Any realy differance?

4. dougi555
    AIFF 24/192.....

5. tienbasse
    Jesus, not again...
    Scientific BS incoming! :wink:

Steen Pihl likes this.
  6. ledzep
    Crock of S#*t .... Now premium alcohol, that's a different matter altogether !

Steen Pihl likes this.
  7. NickL33
    :sweat_smile:Wo... chill guys

Just being curious....

8. gerelmx1986
    64GB for a "premium" price :D i'd better get a 256 or the 400GB :p

dougi555 likes this.
  9. tienbasse
    I put a smiley so no worries. :wink:
    Digital music is stored as digital files, so they're decoded perfectly or they're not at all, it's black or white.
    You can always argue about interferences / electronic noise, which Sony tried without being very convincing in their marketing materials, so there is absolutely nothing serious that was properly demonstrated.

For me, the only reason to pay more would be to get a card with faster transfer rates, which they already sell so for hi-res video/picture capturing. At least, this is measurable. :wink:
    And assuming that the DAP USB bus would not be the limiting factor, which is usually the case with most DAPs.
    So far my only DAP being remotely fast at transfering files is AK380, due to the USB 3.0 bus. Everything else was a miserable sub-10Mo/s. Cheap DAPs are often sub-5Mo/s, which makes you want to invest in a proper card reader for transfers.

10. sne4me
    couldn't wait, getting a 400gb sandisk.
    also, my IEM, MMCX type Sony Just Ear are schedule to deliver tomorrow.
    I got 350 hours on my unbalanced, can't wait to start the balanced burn-in.

also, be careful with this market, it is officially in correction (bearish)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    kubig123 likes this.
  11. Mathieulh
    I transfer files at about 30MB/s on my NW-ZX300 which does use a USB 2.0 bus, that's not too bad, more than enough for what I need, and I filled a whole 400GB SD card that way.

12. equalspeace
    Have to take back what I said about the HD650 and the 1A on balanced being the best I've heard. After some testing against lower impedance cans, I have to admit the 1A doesn't really drive the HD650 to their potential. They sound good, but my HD558 sounds better from the 1A on balanced, particularly in the mids. Sounds so much fuller in that region. I think with the 1A lower impedance cans is def the way to go

Quadfather likes this.
  13. Quadfather
    Shure SRH1540 and Audioquest Nighthawks both sound beautiful out of the 1A from the balanced output. The Nighthawks a little more so. The HD650 headphones are wonderful out of the Bottlehead Crack with the 1.1 Speedball upgrade. I am using a Questyle QP1R for the input and audioquest Big Sur interconnect cables.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  14. ledzep
    I find the 1A superb in playing 128k mp3's into my apple buds the imaging and depth are unreal !

Quadfather and kubig123 like this.
  15. Quadfather
    Redbook CD quality, 24 bit, and DSD sound amazing on this player. I am sure that even the lower bit depth step sounds decent

gerelmx1986 likes this.