SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #15,962 of 45,723
I got mine in the Philippines, I'll download the update and try :) thank you.
Same as mine, it is safe to update since the questionnaire prior to update is in English. Besides, it will tell you if it is not compatible. You just need to download and double click it, it will ask to connect the DAP and that's it.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #15,964 of 45,723
You can update any device. Just did it. Testing. First impression about sound - no changes so far in wired mode. PXC550 sounding better - aptx.

That's great to hear :) my old Bluetooth speakers can be used again.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #15,966 of 45,723
Ape support great :)

And mqa, just to silence critics saying it's not hi-res enough for not supporting a format that older players like the pioneer and onkyo support.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #15,967 of 45,723
So even non Japan units can update? That didn't happen with my previous zx2. Did the sound change by any chance?

Always been this case with the WM1 series.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #15,968 of 45,723
Always been this case with the WM1 series.

Sorry, I didn't know, I just got mine tail end of October (and my experiences with the zx2 update system, didnt help)

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #15,969 of 45,723
Did this update give support to cue?

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #15,970 of 45,723
Is it possible to change the display language of the Japanese model to English?

I am going to update later. I hope the update tracks audio playtime through the walkman port to external dac/amp. I use my WM1A with the TA-ZH1ES often but the player doesnt count the playtime this way.

By the way, the TA-ZH1ES is a mindblowing dac.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #15,971 of 45,723

I am going to update later. I hope the update tracks audio playtime through the walkman port to external dac/amp. I use my WM1A with the TA-ZH1ES often but the player doesnt count the playtime this way.

Not sure about the language, though old old old experience with japan released electronics shows me you're stuck on Japanese.

And that dac/amp also blows away most wallets with just a dirty stare :D

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #15,972 of 45,723

English - I think, possible, because my version after uncapping - Japan/International
TA-ZH1ES - please share more impressions. Thinking about birthday gift for myself :)

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #15,973 of 45,723
I had actually considered the WM1Z when a quick calculation had me realizing that I can have a WM1A with a TA-ZH1ES for practically the same cost.

I read about the TA-ZH1ES on the sony website, and i went to hear it in person at the sony retail store, although they have it at yodobashi camera too. The sony store did not have it on display and so i asked to see it and they brought it out. I went to the store with Beyer Dynamic DT-770 Pro 80, and DT-1350.

Through the TA-ZH1ES I tried both my beyer, the MDR-Z7, and MDR-Z1R. First my Beyer DT-770, I listened through unbalanced 1/4 Plug. I had never heard my 770s sound so good, not ever before not even close. It opened them up, louder, clearer, smoother, deeper and more defined bass. truely musical. I was practically speechless at the difference it makes compared to the walkman itself (unbalanced). The results from the DT-1350 were slightly less obvious, the dt-1350 often sounds decent regardless of power. The Z1R and the Z7 sound very similar except i noticed a more musical, less harsh high frequency response through the Z1R. subtle but distinct difference.

I ended up buying just the ta-zh1es that day. I ran hd audio out of my laptop to the PC usb In. After a long listening test, i discovered that my DT-770 left driver is damaged/blown at certain levels and frequencies; i never knew before ta-zh1es. I retired them that day. the following day i returned to the sony store and picked up the Z1R and WM1A. i use my dt-1350 when walking around and the Z1R at home.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #15,974 of 45,723
I had actually considered the WM1Z when a quick calculation had me realizing that I can have a WM1A with a TA-ZH1ES for practically the same cost.

I read about the TA-ZH1ES on the sony website, and i went to hear it in person at the sony retail store, although they have it at yodobashi camera too. The sony store did not have it on display and so i asked to see it and they brought it out. I went to the store with Beyer Dynamic DT-770 Pro 80, and DT-1350.

Through the TA-ZH1ES I tried both my beyer, the MDR-Z7, and MDR-Z1R. First my Beyer DT-770, I listened through unbalanced 1/4 Plug. I had never heard my 770s sound so good, not ever before not even close. It opened them up, louder, clearer, smoother, deeper and more defined bass. truely musical. I was practically speechless at the difference it makes compared to the walkman itself (unbalanced). The results from the DT-1350 were slightly less obvious, the dt-1350 often sounds decent regardless of power. The Z1R and the Z7 sound very similar except i noticed a more musical, less harsh high frequency response through the Z1R. subtle but distinct difference.

I ended up buying just the ta-zh1es that day. I ran hd audio out of my laptop to the PC usb In. After a long listening test, i discovered that my DT-770 left driver is damaged/blown at certain levels and frequencies; i never knew before ta-zh1es. I retired them that day. the following day i returned to the sony store and picked up the Z1R and WM1A. i use my dt-1350 when walking around and the Z1R at home.

Cool story, though I'm pretty set back from all these purchases so that will have to wait :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #15,975 of 45,723

Thank you very much! You confirmed my thoughts. My wallet cries.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back