SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #15,932 of 45,723
Anyone tried Ie800S with 1Z yet ?

Just get a CIEM man. It is better for your hearing anyway. Lower listening...less damage to our old(er) ears. :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #15,937 of 45,723
Late to the party and wanted to say, 1063 pages; thats sick!

Sony makes a custom sized IEM called 'Just Ear' and you can get them in person in Japan. They cost $2000-$2500 depending on configuration. It is available balanced using the 4.4mm.

Since they are custom shaped to your ear by a medical doctor and hand made in Japan by one of Sony's legendary engineers, they take 1-2 months to fulfill.

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #15,938 of 45,723
What do you guys think about connecting the WM1 models to external headphone amplifiers? Would that change their sound characteristics to the extent that they will become a DAP different to the one that was originally designed by the manufacturer?

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #15,939 of 45,723
What do you guys think about connecting the WM1 models to external headphone amplifiers? Would that change their sound characteristics to the extent that they will become a DAP different to the one that was originally designed by the manufacturer?

If it's run through an amp, it shouldn't change characteristics of the sound, only the volume. But if it's run through a dac, then the dacs sound characteristics take over.

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #15,940 of 45,723
It depends on how do you se it. I had an Oppo HA-2 which is a DAC+ Amplifier and there are also other manufacturers such as fiio that produce amp-only modules as well as dac + amps.

If you use it with a DAC/amp using the sony digital out cable, then your WM1 will only serve as a "Hard drive" and the external DAC amp implementation will decode the music - a completely different sound signature.

Using a pure amp or the amp section of the dac amp, like idid with my HA2, perhaps a slight change in sound sig, i noted my HA2 added a bit of warmth to the NWZ-A17 walkman stock sound, but perhaps there are neutral amps, i haven't used one other than hte HA2 and that was only for a short period of time

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #15,941 of 45,723
If it's run through an amp, it shouldn't change characteristics of the sound, only the volume. But if it's run through a dac, then the dacs sound characteristics take over.

It depends on how do you se it. I had an Oppo HA-2 which is a DAC+ Amplifier and there are also other manufacturers such as fiio that produce amp-only modules as well as dac + amps.

If you use it with a DAC/amp using the sony digital out cable, then your WM1 will only serve as a "Hard drive" and the external DAC amp implementation will decode the music - a completely different sound signature.

Using a pure amp or the amp section of the dac amp, like idid with my HA2, perhaps a slight change in sound sig, i noted my HA2 added a bit of warmth to the NWZ-A17 walkman stock sound, but perhaps there are neutral amps, i haven't used one other than hte HA2 and that was only for a short period of time

I think the challenge is to find a total transparent solid state amplifier that just do that, amplifying the analogue DAP output. While reading reviews of SS amps, I always find comments about the changes that amplifiers bring to the tonality, speed, dynamics of the system. I think that a completely transparent amplifier circuit doesn't exists though :triportsad:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #15,942 of 45,723
I complained to f this album of being a bit dry sounding, boy, I was wrong, balanced unleashed it's potential 15102015943831336444876.jpg

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #15,943 of 45,723
My first listen with a brand new WM1A via balanced wasn't as good as I thought. At the time the balanced cable (Kumitate Labs Licht) and IEM (AAW W900) were new too so I was listening to the entire chain for the first time. The treble was grainy and had a metallic tinge, it was horribly annoying. I couldn't pinpoint which was the weak link in the chain, so with no other choice I went to burning in. After 200 hours, the changes were noticeable. I played the same track (something by NIN) that produced the metallic treble and it was smoothed out and musical. After a cable upgrade, the WM1A > W900 has been my go-to combo for months.

This is purely anecdotal, I didn't do any measurements, but if even Sony suggests that I burn-in the 1A for 200 hours, there might be some truth to running in the player before passing judgment.

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #15,944 of 45,723
I complained to f this album of being a bit dry sounding, boy, I was wrong, balanced unleashed it's potential

That's what I've told people, on the wm1a/z balanced output brings out the best in the music played. Though I feel with the 1a, balanced is significantly better than single and on the 1z just slightly so. Probably a sign of the price difference.

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #15,945 of 45,723
I wear the 1000 hours playtime like a badge of honor, then see another guy with 2500 hours in his Walkman and I'm like "dang, mine's too short". :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back