SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #15,241 of 45,723
I liked the QP1R but not for that click wheel I never got my head around back then which I do believe had issues until a revised edition.

I very much like the QP2R which is an outstanding player also and found the click wheel pretty good this time and still wouldn't say no to this along side my Sony in the stable for sure. It has some good grunt as well with headphones I noticed.

Saying that there are some very good daps out there at the moment which again is testomy to just how well the new Sony's are doing also...

I have the Questyle QP1R with the improved click wheel. It isn't bad.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #15,242 of 45,723
I don't think zx300 is superior to WM1 series
Who said it was superior? Please read again. I said it is better in several ways, and it is. It is smaller and lighter. It doesn't have any annoying mechanical relay clicking. It has no audible clicking noise when adjusting volume. Can be used as a USB DAC. Has direct access to shuffle and repeat. These are all improvements over the 1A/Z. By the way, do you own a ZX300 or have you auditioned one? If not, your basing all of your opinions solely on MSRP.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #15,243 of 45,723
Sorry is that just with the 1Z as I don't find that with my 1A?

Your 1A has mechanical relays and makes audible clicking noises when changing clock speeds, just like everyone else's 1A and 1Z.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #15,244 of 45,723
Who said it was superior? Please read again. I said it is better in several ways, and it is. It is smaller and lighter. It doesn't have any annoying mechanical relay clicking. It has no audible clicking noise when adjusting volume. Can be used as a USB DAC. Has direct access to shuffle and repeat. These are all improvements over the 1A/Z.
When I was young the clicking of relays was the sound of the future, I loved the sound. I talk about real relays, big ones everywhere and they were loud. The WM1A relays are so silent, don't understand what's annoying there to anyone.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #15,245 of 45,723
When I was young the clicking of relays was the sound of the future, I loved the sound. I talk about real relays, big ones everywhere and they were loud. The WM1A relays are so silent, don't understand what's annoying there to anyone.

Search this forum for clicking and you will see it annoys many. I like to listen to music when I go to bed. I had to convert all my music to FLACs with the same clock rate so the clicking wouldn't keep my wife up.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #15,246 of 45,723
Who said it was superior? Please read again. I said it is better in several ways, and it is. It is smaller and lighter. It doesn't have any annoying mechanical relay clicking. It has no audible clicking noise when adjusting volume. Can be used as a USB DAC. Has direct access to shuffle and repeat. These are all improvements over the 1A/Z. By the way, do you own a ZX300 or have you auditioned one? If not, your basing all of your opinions solely on MSRP.

Must be a fault with your unit, I have no clicking when adjusting the volume. The relay click is only audible when not having headphones on but what I don’t understand about them is that they are also clicking at random times when the player is not playing music but just laying idle (I never turn it off). The usb dac, repeat and shuffle I have no use for so for me those things do not make ZX300 better. Size and price yes. Have not heard the ZX300 so have no opinion on sq

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #15,247 of 45,723
Must be a fault with your unit, I have no clicking when adjusting the volume. The relay click is only audible when not having headphones on but what I don’t understand about them is that they are also clicking at random times when the player is not playing music but just laying idle (I never turn it off). The usb dac, repeat and shuffle I have no use for so for me those things do not make ZX300 better. Size and price yes. Have not heard the ZX300 so have no opinion on sq

The volume adjustment click is present on both my 1A and 1Z. Several others have also commented about it in this forum too. I can clearly hear the relay clicking when wearing my HD800's and I can still barely hear it when wearing well isolated IEM's.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #15,248 of 45,723
The volume adjustment click is present on both my 1A and 1Z. Several others have also commented about it in this forum too. I can clearly hear the relay clicking when wearing my HD800's and I can still barely hear it when wearing well isolated IEM's.

Is it mechanical relay clicking or in the actual sound stream that you experience when changing volume ?

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #15,249 of 45,723
Search this forum for clicking and you will see it annoys many. I like to listen to music when I go to bed. I had to convert all my music to FLACs with the same clock rate so the clicking wouldn't keep my wife up.
Never noticed the clicking on my 1Z. Very quiet at the most. If your wife can hear it I would get the WM checked out. Maybe they used some of the old relays from the 1950's. lol I would have it checked if it is that loud.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #15,250 of 45,723
I have the Questyle QP1R with the improved click wheel. It isn't bad.

I know after trying the QP2R I can live with the UI now I know it all works okay although I will always prefer the Sony layout although it is touchscreen based.
Just a question if I was to get one of which one between the two as they sound different as I know there are some that prefer one but not the other but I'm one of those that think both still sound good and would just be a question of which would prefer over long term to listen too.

Your 1A has mechanical relays and makes audible clicking noises when changing clock speeds, just like everyone else's 1A and 1Z.

Tell a lie, yes I just been listening to 1A with headphones and yes do hear them above that 50 point but only with music off pretty much so goes to show probably has never bothered me then as I would of noticed it earlier if it was bugging me.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #15,251 of 45,723
On last Friday, I received the new Sennheiser HD660S. It comes with a new 150 Ohm driver in the well known HD600/650/6XX housing, has a 3m 4.4mm balanced cable and sounds absolutely fantastic out of the WM1A.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #15,252 of 45,723
On last Friday, I received the new Sennheiser HD660S. It comes with a new 150 Ohm driver in the well known HD600/650/6XX housing, has a 3m 4.4mm balanced cable and sounds absolutely fantastic out of the WM1A.

Sennheiser is shipping cables with 4.4mm plugs now? If so, I'm happy to hear that others are embracing a better balanced standard. 2.5mm is too fragile.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #15,253 of 45,723
Is it mechanical relay clicking or in the actual sound stream that you experience when changing volume ?

In the sound stream. Only audible with sensitive IEM's like my SE846's. Can't hear it through the HD800's. Phone impedance might play a role here.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #15,254 of 45,723
Sennheiser is shipping cables with 4.4mm plugs now? If so, I'm happy to hear that others are embracing a better balanced standard. 2.5mm is too fragile.

Yes their new top iem also comes with 4.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back