SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #15,271 of 45,723
Thanks NC8000, thats good to hear, I was looking at a 256gb but if that is the case 400Gb is okay then I might just go with one. How much did you get your 400GB one for if you don't mind me asking?

By default in which means, sound, features or overall?...as the ZX300 has some newer features and different UI options present which probably some of that will come in the update for the 1A soon anyway.
If sound then that's in the eye of the beholder and probably best to listen to both if you can. At the end of the day the new model has come out at £400 cheaper than the 1A and to me that is probably on sound alone in the right area but they are two different signatures to me hence why they need a first hand listen so you can decide as only your lug holes will tell you which you prefer and then battle with the ergonmic differences and price differences into the mix and see where your heart takes you ; )

How would you describe wm1z (cheaper version) in sound signature? Forward? Mid centric? Resolution?

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #15,272 of 45,723
Thanks NC8000, thats good to hear, I was looking at a 256gb but if that is the case 400Gb is okay then I might just go with one. How much did you get your 400GB one for if you don't mind me asking?

By default in which means, sound, features or overall?...as the ZX300 has some newer features and different UI options present which probably some of that will come in the update for the 1A soon anyway.
If sound then that's in the eye of the beholder and probably best to listen to both if you can. At the end of the day the new model has come out at £400 cheaper than the 1A and to me that is probably on sound alone in the right area but they are two different signatures to me hence why they need a first hand listen so you can decide as only your lug holes will tell you which you prefer and then battle with the ergonmic differences and price differences into the mix and see where your heart takes you ; )

Give it a week or two and they'll be £300-350 at Amazon warehouse then it's time to pounce!

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #15,277 of 45,723
When I was young the clicking of relays was the sound of the future, I loved the sound. I talk about real relays, big ones everywhere and they were loud. The WM1A relays are so silent, don't understand what's annoying there to anyone.

You can call me strange, but... I like that relay sound. It gives "solid" analogue feeling.
And you call me deaf - I can't hear anything wrong from my headphones when changing volume. Going to double check.

Edit. Checked. Yes, here is soft clicking going downwards from 112 till 100 on loudness control. But I never listen on so high volume.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #15,279 of 45,723
£224 from Amazon UK

Cheers:beerchug: thought i'd ask just in case you managed to get it a bit cheaper from some magical place but be a while until that happens. Might wait for those Amazon Christmas deals as they might do a deal on this for a brief period like a lightening deal or discounted for so many hours as think I can wait another month or so to upgrade another 370gb worth memory:fingers_crossed::grin::wink:

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #15,281 of 45,723
On another note other than volume clicks and ghosts what is the maximum SD card capacity the 1A as from memory I think it might of been 256? cannot remember for sure or find this info anywhere at the moment as made me wonder with the 400gb cards becoming available if they will work on the 1A?

Be interested to see what people have at maximum currently in their 1A's, I only have a 128gb at the moment but was looking at upgrading that but obviosuly if it can take the new 400gb I would extend to that whilst I was going about getting a new card.

Mine works fine with the 400gb micro-sd card - unless its the ghosts meddling with the FAT.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #15,282 of 45,723
Does Sony make any dap with Tidal?

ZX2 is an old version of Android so don’t know if the Tidal app is still supported but it used to work

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #15,283 of 45,723
I wish they did because that’s how a listen to my music the majority of the time. I’m currently listening to Tidal’s Masters version of Herbie Hancock’s River. Lovely music!

Err... ZX1 & ZX2. I could have a got a 2nd hand one as new ZX2 for £480 but got a new ZX300 for £470 instead.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #15,285 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back