SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #15,256 of 45,723
In the sound stream. Only audible with sensitive IEM's like my SE846's. Can't hear it through the HD800's. Phone impedance might play a role here.

You’re right I can also hear but not until I go over 110 in volume and normally I never go over 60 so that is why I have never noticed it

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #15,257 of 45,723
You’re right I can also hear but not until I go over 110 in volume and normally I never go over 60 so that is why I have never noticed it

It also happens at a low range too. Can't remember exactly, but seems like 25-50 has audible clicking. 50-90 is silent. 90 and above has audible clicking again. Both of my players are the same.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #15,258 of 45,723
The volume adjustment click is present on both my 1A and 1Z. Several others have also commented about it in this forum too. I can clearly hear the relay clicking when wearing my HD800's and I can still barely hear it when wearing well isolated IEM's.

I get volume control clicking, If I pause the music, then select the on screen volume control and crank it up and down, I can here a corresponding slight noise in the earphones. Curiously, a similar noise is also present when using the hardware buttons, but only in the volume range of 60-80. I'm using z5s, with high gain selected. I'm pretty sure I've heard this on the Ety's as well. However, the sound is not present from the unit itself and unless the music is particularly quiet, I don't hear it in everyday use. I get the odd relay click even when the unit is doing nothing, but I live in a very quiet house in the middle of nowhere.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #15,259 of 45,723
On last Friday, I received the new Sennheiser HD660S. It comes with a new 150 Ohm driver in the well known HD600/650/6XX housing, has a 3m 4.4mm balanced cable and sounds absolutely fantastic out of the WM1A.

I am really starting to notice the difference now my 4.4 bal is catching up with burn in on my SE connection and is quite a clear difference for sure. Just wish my iem 4,4 cable didn't break recently so just left with been able to listen to my Meze in 4.4bal. Want to get my Pioneer Master1's done in 4.4 so can't wait to here how they sound just going by the Meze.

Sennheiser is shipping cables with 4.4mm plugs now? If so, I'm happy to hear that others are embracing a better balanced standard. 2.5mm is too fragile.

Was only a matter of time good old Sennhieser would back up their amps that now carrying 4.4 as I think they are the first to of done this after Sony released 4.4 bal so good to see another big player recognising the benefits Sony's new bal design brings which will only be good for us all as others will adopt in time.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #15,260 of 45,723
I get the odd relay click even when the unit is doing nothing, but I live in a very quiet house in the middle of nowhere.

Ghosts

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #15,261 of 45,723
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #15,262 of 45,723
...house is too new - and I personally carried out precautionary exorcisms as I built it!

Doesn't matter how new that house is, what is the history of the ground it is built upon, ghosts still roam on the land no matter what is built on there.
My wife had an office above a Tescos Extra built in the 1980's and she would see a fragile old lady wearing victorian clothes with a bonnet just glide past on the landing and disappear into the loo! All that land used to be marsh land back in the day.

Hope no ones head turned 360 when you carried out the exercism! Just plug into balanced, turn to 120 on volume and that should get rid of any ghosts or unwanted clicking! job done.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #15,263 of 45,723
...house is too new - and I personally carried out precautionary exorcisms as I built it!:yum:
Built it on a graveyard.?

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #15,264 of 45,723
I get volume control clicking, If I pause the music, then select the on screen volume control and crank it up and down, I can here a corresponding slight noise in the earphones. Curiously, a similar noise is also present when using the hardware buttons, but only in the volume range of 60-80. I'm using z5s, with high gain selected. I'm pretty sure I've heard this on the Ety's as well. However, the sound is not present from the unit itself and unless the music is particularly quiet, I don't hear it in everyday use. I get the odd relay click even when the unit is doing nothing, but I live in a very quiet house in the middle of nowhere.

maybe it's those ghosts , jealous of you for not sharing your sony dap with them

on topic , i hear only great music coming out of wm1a , and i constantly ask myself why i waited so long to do the upgrade jump from ZX2

great DAP

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #15,265 of 45,723
In the sound stream. Only audible with sensitive IEM's like my SE846's. Can't hear it through the HD800's. Phone impedance might play a role here.

Really looking forward to my ZX300 arriving especially after you.r observations. I will only really be using it with my Shure SE846's so hoping it has no background noise and will be using with Sony Kimber balanced cable. I nearly bit the bullet on the WM1 until they announced the ZX300 and the use as a DAC is also important to me for use with Tidal from smartphone.

Hoping its better than my Z5 compact/ Dragonfly Red combination which I think sounds great anyway. If not, I will try a WM1A (Z too expensive for me).

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #15,266 of 45,723
On another note other than volume clicks and ghosts what is the maximum SD card capacity the 1A as from memory I think it might of been 256? cannot remember for sure or find this info anywhere at the moment as made me wonder with the 400gb cards becoming available if they will work on the 1A?

Be interested to see what people have at maximum currently in their 1A's, I only have a 128gb at the moment but was looking at upgrading that but obviosuly if it can take the new 400gb I would extend to that whilst I was going about getting a new card.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #15,267 of 45,723
On another note other than volume clicks and ghosts what is the maximum SD card capacity the 1A as from memory I think it might of been 256? cannot remember for sure or find this info anywhere at the moment as made me wonder with the 400gb cards becoming available if they will work on the 1A?

Be interested to see what people have at maximum currently in their 1A's, I only have a 128gb at the moment but was looking at upgrading that but obviosuly if it can take the new 400gb I would extend to that whilst I was going about getting a new card.

Several have reported that 400GB works abd I have ordered one, using 256GB atm.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #15,268 of 45,723
Really looking forward to my ZX300 arriving especially after you.r observations. I will only really be using it with my Shure SE846's so hoping it has no background noise and will be using with Sony Kimber balanced cable. I nearly bit the bullet on the WM1 until they announced the ZX300 and the use as a DAC is also important to me for use with Tidal from smartphone.

Hoping its better than my Z5 compact/ Dragonfly Red combination which I think sounds great anyway. If not, I will try a WM1A (Z too expensive for me).

Is wm1a better than the zx300 by default?

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #15,269 of 45,723
Several have reported that 400GB works abd I have ordered one, using 256GB atm.

Thanks NC8000, thats good to hear, I was looking at a 256gb but if that is the case 400Gb is okay then I might just go with one. How much did you get your 400GB one for if you don't mind me asking?

Is wm1a better than the zx300 by default?

By default in which means, sound, features or overall?...as the ZX300 has some newer features and different UI options present which probably some of that will come in the update for the 1A soon anyway.
If sound then that's in the eye of the beholder and probably best to listen to both if you can. At the end of the day the new model has come out at £400 cheaper than the 1A and to me that is probably on sound alone in the right area but they are two different signatures to me hence why they need a first hand listen so you can decide as only your lug holes will tell you which you prefer and then battle with the ergonmic differences and price differences into the mix and see where your heart takes you ; )

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #15,270 of 45,723
Thanks NC8000, thats good to hear, I was looking at a 256gb but if that is the case 400Gb is okay then I might just go with one. How much did you get your 400GB one for if you don't mind me asking?

£224 from Amazon UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back