SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #14,882 of 45,723
The wm1a relay click is softer if I remember that loud click of the fiio x3. First gen relay, the fiio only had it for on/off the amp

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #14,883 of 45,723
Ocharaku as reviewed not for all types of music.

It's an open-can IEM.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #14,884 of 45,723
Part finale: dx200 vs 1Z, Godzilla vs Dragon

I had been comparing the dx200 against the 1Z for a while, and everybody must have read that dx200+Amp3 is standing Toes to Toes again 1Z. After switching back and forth, comparing A/B, and try to understand the “takes” behind these 2 wonderful players. I have drawn my conclusions.

Beside the different sound signatures from dx200 and 1Z, and putting aside personal preferences with pricing being no objective. The ultimate outcome of this battle winner is WM1Z. This is the ultimate conclusion. However, I would put dx200 on the same tier as 1Z with different sound signature and tremendous potentials to upgrade amp cards.

Now, the reason why I draw this conclusion:

Dx200 separations and layering seemed to be better than 1Z due to the speed of the decay which is shorter than 1Z, the tonal body thickness/timbres of the 1Z is thicker, more vivid and more realistic. The thicker body, and deadly accurate timbres also result in a more accurate decay and reverberate, which explains why 1Z has such emotional Vocals and string instruments are so lush, so Liquid and fluidly flowing, and from this allow the listener to simply float and be carried away by streams of music and instruments. Because of this effect, the 1Z seems to be behind the separations and layering from Dx200+Amp3.

Simply put, Dx200 is superbly layered and separated with quicker speed, which would be more “References” of sound performances. It is very exciting, energetic and interesting. In the while 1Z is more lush, mellow, musical, and full of emotions.

Then why did I call out 1Z as the winner in this ultimate conclusion ? Simply put, in tracks that has several of the same “type” of instruments being played, for example, guitarists. The presentations of 1Z is there in spatial and position just as much as Dx200. However, when many of the same types are playing together, the layering and separations of 1Z are there, yet not as separated but fluidly and continuously streaming to express the music, the dx200 is fast that it can be easily picked a part from one guitarist to another. Yet, I did say personal preferences aside, what is the “end goal” of Music reproduction ? That is to mimick the “realism” of reality. In reality, when there are different of the same type of instruments being played, or when there are different guitarists playing in an acoustic room, the music will be fluidly flowing, and with your eyes closed, you can tell them a part, but the streams of music will be fluidly and continuously, and this is exactly what 1Z is presenting, and together with the more realistic timbres, the 1Z is the ultimate winner.

In the end, what is your personal preferences ? References, separations, layering, energetic, mellow, liquid, organic ? You are the only one to know the answer, and if you are budget tight, the answer will be easier :)

And for this competition, achievements from Ibasso, I would say that again “congratulation to Ibasso” for such an competing product at affordable pricing. Why ? Because again, personal preferences and practicality together, there really is no winner. It is a huge tie in this regard, so pick your poison folks, whichever you choose, you will not regret it. It gets even better if you can collect both !!!

087A8688-5FF5-4D88-9BA3-96D87BF74D02.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #14,885 of 45,723
By any chance has anyone tried the Audeze i4 with both the wm1z balanced output vs the sound using a dap (I have the wm1a) to feed the chord Hugo 2?

I'm getting good sound from my wm1a, surely better if I get an aftermarket 4.4mm cable. I'm very much liking the portability of using just the Sony but can't help but think my i4 would sound so much better with the Hugo 2.

Might the wm1z balanced to the i4 come close to my wm1a to Hugo 2 to i4? If so, I would want to consider canceling my Hugo 2 order, sell my wm1a and purchase the wm1z.

Thanks for any thoughts you can pass my way.

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #14,888 of 45,723
TBH, I don't think it's gonna happen, may be the next WM released version.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #14,890 of 45,723
Sony is so annoying............they def had the resources to add the feature to the wm1a/z but they didn't include it just because they wanted to sell their signature series amp tazh1es.......and now in a lower model the zx300.....they offer the function....slap to the face to the wm1a and wm1z users.....800 dollar has more functionality than a 3.2k gold brick Lol

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #14,891 of 45,723
Sony is so annoying............they def had the resources to add the feature to the wm1a/z but they didn't include it just because they wanted to sell their signature series amp tazh1es.......and now in a lower model the zx300.....they offer the function....slap to the face to the wm1a and wm1z users.....800 dollar has more functionality than a 3.2k gold brick Lol
You don’t know whether or not the firmware upgrade may happen :). Too early to judge, and I wouldn’t blame Sony one bit if the firmware is released a few months after the global release of zx300.

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #14,892 of 45,723
It has always been clicking sounds, and sometime it does more than once as 1 relay is turned off to turn on another
Ok now I understand what you guys mean - I always had my IEM's on and didn't hear the relay click from the unit itself. I had mine off when I switched tracks with different clock rates and I heard the click/click from the relays. Unfortunately - I am hearing snap, crackle and pop in my IEM's now that I am using balanced and it's only coming from left channel.... oh oh... sounds like a defective unit

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #14,893 of 45,723
Ok now I understand what you guys mean - I always had my IEM's on and didn't hear the relay click from the unit itself. I had mine off when I switched tracks with different clock rates and I heard the click/click from the relays. Unfortunately - I am hearing snap, crackle and pop in my IEM's now that I am using balanced and it's only coming from left channel.... oh oh... sounds like a defective unit

And you are using properly balanced headphones and not single ended headphones via an adapter ?

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #14,894 of 45,723

Anybody who bought these players knew that they didn’t have dac feature just like everybody knew they didn’t have streaming ability so nobody is being slaped in the face. I personally bought mine amongst other reasons precisely because it didn’t have those features, I wanted a device that concentrated all effort on being the best possible play back device of on board music and nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back