SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #8,507 of 45,723
As strange as this is going to sound. I did not upgrade to the 1Z to get a sonic improvement. If I do get one, I'll consider it a bonus. My reasons to upgrade were: 1) I will not lose anything returning the 1A. 2) I'm getting double the storage. 3) I got the 1Z for 32% off retail, paid full retail for the 1A. 4) I'm getting a nice leather case. 5) This is the biggest reason: The pure copper chassis. I am a Machinist by trade. Few people realize that pure copper is one of the most difficult metals to machine. It is a absolute nightmare to work with. It's very gummy and sticky. It loves to snap carbide boring bars in two. Nowadays, most things that are made of copper are actually made of tellurium copper. Tellurium is added to copper to make it more machinable. The fact that Sony chose to use pure copper really impressed me. As much as I love the electronics inside, my true appreciation is for that chunk of copper. It's a work of art.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #8,508 of 45,723
Anazing how the price goes down from one buyer to the next. $3200 and the following week $2000 ?

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #8,509 of 45,723
Anazing how the price goes down from one buyer to the next. $3200 and the following week $2000 ?

I don't understand it either... I'm not complaining though.
cool.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #8,510 of 45,723
right now its just confusing to me about what i read in comparisons between wm1a and dx200

nothing makes sense to me now from all the conflicting reviews, so i decided to wait before making a buying decison

i know both are good player, but i am more after warm analogue sounding dap with good bass and full bodied mids

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #8,512 of 45,723
  Guys, i have a set of MDREX1000, what balanced cable gives the best synergy with the WM1a please?

many thanks

Forza Audioworks can also do balanced cables for the EX1000 with the 4.4mm plug, although you'll have to ask them for it as it's not on their website. Their prices are very reasonable.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #8,513 of 45,723
right now its just confusing to me about what i read in comparisons between wm1a and dx200

nothing makes sense to me now from all the conflicting reviews, so i decided to wait before making a buying decison

i know both are good player, but i am more after warm analogue sounding dap with good bass and full bodied mids

It's probably cause of burn in and SE, balanced.

But either 1 you still get a good DAP.
Just that i felt Sony DAP need more work to get the good sound.

Best of WM1A is at 4.4mm balanced.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #8,516 of 45,723
I put some of my DSD files on my SD card and the Walkman has changed them to PCM is there a way to make sure the Walkman reads them as DSD files?

It will only play them as DSD when using the balanced output.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #8,518 of 45,723
I also agree with you, I find my 1A as getting closer to 300hr is so analogue sounding, is so real, the sound you expect at a recital or an orchestra, concert ir whatver you want. For the Price is the best i have Heard. The 1A is what I was expecting to get from the ZX100

This dap has killed all my desires to look into any other daps/DAC. I am just reading into finding the perfect CIEM/IEM. Just waiting for more people to start sharing their experiences.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #8,519 of 45,723
I think the Keyword here for describing the WM1A sound is not juts analogue as sound is dóh analogue... I'll say REAL, nothings before for me sounded as close to reality as the WM1A. Sure perhaps the Z offers a bit of imporvement but i bet not that significant as night and day, bet both sound realistic.

No walkman in the past, not even zx100 gave me the gosse bumps + chills of emotional response, not even the dead-sounding iPod classic, not even the" äudiophile-grade" Fiio x3 1st gen

I feel WM1A is the DAP that truly  extracts the Juice of 16 bit 44.1KHz simple rate to the point it sounds damn realistic that wows me, both zx100 and this 1A have the dual clock system (44.1 & 48) and i feel the 1A has by far the most accuracy of realism of the two, that I have not turned on the DSEE HX upsampler

For me WM1A is the first dap that YELLS at me HEY STOP! Don't Upgrade until my battery dies in 5 or 7 years. I consider this DAP as my end-game, Is the wise purchase for 24.5K mexican pesos i thing yes expensive But is worth every centavo no regrets, no remorse 

128GB +256GB microSD for me is fine, sure i long for the 512GB or 1TB microSD
biggrin.gif
, sure Copper 1Z maybe a craftsmanship bit if with my A i feel unsecure on the pockets or even in the jean or pants pockets LOL cannot imagine 1Z owners. I amnot saying i dislike the heft of the 1A, I really like the weight feeling, solid as a rock unlike the shallow feeling of the ZX100

PS i am not sure yet if i shall write my final review for it  or wait 100h more, I've hit 300h(and later uodate the review with the balanced) or wait until i have the balanced cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back