SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #8,536 of 45,723
What iem or hp are you planning to use it with? I only bought it because I need a more portable solution on the go. I can tell you that QP1R still sounds better, better drive fullsize hp but battery and UI can't compare to 1A. I was only using QP1R only because I have an impedance adapter, my ciem is extremely sensitive that it picks out noise from everything. Some people here didn't make use of such adapter that's why they bash QP1R in that regard using with iems. 

Im using cfa vega and meze 99 classic. I sold my qp1r cus of UI and the wheel.
Will the 4.4mm adapter cable give the same sq with the 4.4mm custom cable ?

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #8,537 of 45,723

The Vega pairs very well with these Sonys. They're my go to reference IEMs at this point. Cheers

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #8,538 of 45,723
I got to spend some time with a few other DAPs that are attracting a lot of attention and questions from people, thought I'd share a few more thoughts. Again, all listening done with my Aethers.

Having returned my friend's DX200 to him, I popped by Music Sanctuary to give their DX200 a listen for comparisons. Their unit has about 120 hours of burn in, and my WM1Z has about 120 hours of time on the balanced circuit. All listening done on the balanced circuits of both players.

While most of my impressions from my earlier post hold in terms of the general signatures of both players, DX200 seriously opens up in the first 100 hours of burn in; much of the haze I described in my initial impressions has disappeared, showing a jump in resolution and closing the initial gap between the two players.

WM1Z has a softer, more euphonic/acoustic sound than the DX200 (and it is as such, too, against other flagship DAPs like the various AK380 variants), with richer tonality and trailing decay being hallmarks of the sound. DX200 is more towards the signature of the AK380; leaner, brighter and faster. Comparing the two, I hear details being rendered more obviously by the WM1Z, aided by the decay characteristic which adds naturalism, realism and contributes to the extreme sense of 3D positioning afforded by the Sony (in my opinion the absolute best in the current market). The DX200, in comparison, renders the sound in a less 3D soundstage with less depth than the WM1Z (DX200's soundstage is wider than it is deep) and comes pretty close in detailing but loses out on the finest microdetails that WM1Z and AK380Cu can render. That said, the DX200 is airier sounding than the WM1Z, aided by the less tonally dense presentation; instruments do not fill the soundstage as thickly and densely as the WM1Z, affording for more air between the rendered instruments. It also sounds brighter and faster, which may be easier to pair up with IEMs and headphones (some dark sounding transducers can get overly dark sounding with the WM1Z)

This is no slight against the DX200; in fact, it is utterly impressive for a DAP at its price point to come as close as it is to the WM1Z and the AK380. It is my new automatic recommendation for DAPs to friends given its extremely keen price point, the sound quality which bears more similarities than differences with AK380 and the versatility of Android.

Following that, I popped by the local Sony store to compare the WM1Z with the WM1A. Both players compared balanced; the store WM1A play counter has almost 300 hours, although it's my guess that most of those hours were put on the single ended circuit.

While both players lean towards the general Walkman house sound, I find that the signature differences between the A and the Z have sonic implications that affect more than just how thick or musical they sound. WM1A is a slightly brighter, faster and less dense sounding which ends up still being more euphonic than most DAPs on the market, yet WM1A does not have the same trailing decay characteristic as the WM1Z. This makes the WM1A sound less natural and realistic in comparison, and makes the imaging and positioning capability of the WM1A a clear step behind that of the Z. Differences in microdetailing are also present, with the WM1A pushing the mids out a bit more prominently and in a forward fashion in tandem with the leaner and faster signature; and yet, even the denser signature of the WM1Z is able to show more of the finest details in music (usually denser sounding products sacrifice resolution for tonality). Does the performance difference justify the massive price gulf between the two? Rationally, no. But if you're looking at the WM1Z, you aren't really 100% rational in making the decision; such a purchase also involves strong emotion and personal attraction, just like someone ascribing positive feelings towards the copper machining or the heft of the device.

The burning question I unfortunately cannot answer directly is WM1A vs DX200 as I was not able to directly compare both devices. Relative comparisons from memory and using the WM1Z as a yardstick for both players seem to suggest that the performance of both players is very very close, so close that there is no clearly superior option in the lack of a direct comparison. Generally speaking, the DX200 sounds more airy and energetic than the WM1A, and the WM1A sports a touch more musicality than the DX200. I will refrain from making any more comments before I get a chance to try both side by side, if possible.

All these DAPs only highlight one thing; there has never been a better time to be into portable audio gear, with brands bringing ever increasing sound quality at lower price points to the market. I would dare say, even, that on sound quality alone, any of the 3 DAPs discussed herein will easily impress all listeners with their overall performance and unique sonic characteristics, especially when placed against their older DAP counterparts. Happy listening all.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #8,539 of 45,723
Will the 4.4mm adapter cable give the same sq with the 4.4mm custom cable ?

I recently got to try the Vega with my 1Z balanced and it sounds bloody good on high gain...if you can live with the monstrous bass output from those IEMs. I like more bass than the average listener and even I found the combination a touch too bassy for me.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #8,542 of 45,723
Looks like you're making sure that all of your equipment get's used :)

Seriously tho, which cable did you use to for the digital out to the Mojo? I was under the impression that the WM1A doesn't do digital out..

That picture show the zx-2, but
1a and 1z both do digital out via hugo and mojo but you need that cable which has the chip in it.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #8,544 of 45,723
Great, good to know! Which ones have the chip? Does the the WMC-NWH10 have it or are there better quality cables[COLOR=333333]?[/COLOR]

That the only cable that has the chip, ppl buying that cable and cut the USB end and reconnected with micro USB, it very easy to do as it is color coded you can't make mistake reconnect it

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #8,545 of 45,723
Will wait for @mscott58 Review on Both the A and the Z, he knows he is burning both to be at least some how equal in bur-in time, @rushofblood grabbed a store one and to know which side was burned in is a tricky so i will take this one with a grain of salt.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #8,547 of 45,723
  Will wait for @mscott58 Review on Both the A and the Z, he knows he is burning both to be at least some how equal in bur-in time, @rushofblood grabbed a store one and to know which side was burned in is a tricky so i will take this one with a grain of salt.

I have heard someone who has compared both owned units with over 200 hr, 1z's resolution is much much higher than 1a and so imaging is better.. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #8,548 of 45,723

That the only cable that has the chip, ppl buying that cable and cut the USB end and reconnected with micro USB, it very easy to do as it is color coded you can't make mistake reconnect it

Awesome, thanks! Will order a WMC-NWH10 right away

I have read there are other cables that consume less battery, if i am right

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #8,549 of 45,723
  Looks like you're making sure that all of your equipment get's used :)

Seriously tho, which cable did you use to for the digital out to the Mojo? I was under the impression that the WM1A doesn't do digital out..

Sorry doofalb, that's not my kit.  I found the picture on Twitter and found it amusing, so I shared with the thread.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #8,550 of 45,723
Also note that @Rushofblood's comparison was stated when he first posted that he would continuously update the result as his unit has not reached 200 hrs mark yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back