SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #6,631 of 45,723

Fixer mentioned in the same post that the GND pin is not implemented, not sure how reliable that piece of info is though. Though from all the parts break down Sony displays for the WM1 it does look like they only connected two dual-braided (so 4 wires total) Kimber for the 4.4mm jacks on the 1Z, so I'm guessing the GND is not wired too.

Confirmed with Sony that in the 1Z, the earth isn't used or wired to anything (incl chassis). The TA-ZH1ES desktop amp though does leverage/wire the ground connector.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #6,632 of 45,723
I was fiddling between the screens, standard display cover art, then comes spectrum analyzer I know this si to see the frequency content on each band, and finally comes the analogue level meter display. can some one explain what is (was) the purpose of an analogue (VU) level meter? And why some people call them VU meters?

VU stands for Volume Unit, so as the naming implies it measures the volume of the particular frequency that it is to display.

As for why the mimicking of analgoue meters - the UI designer simply wanted it that way:
Pasting from my translation of the member interview:

* It seems that “Analogue feel” is the keyword for the software this time

Harada Kazu [software design]
That is true. I had a strong desire to represent the worldview of audio equipment from the past. For example just now we were discussing the experience of the volume changing knob for one. When you touch the volume bar at the top of the Playback screen it will show the volume changing knob, if you touch it with your fingers you can change the volume. We also prepared a tone control knob interface as well.  

Harada Kazu [software design]
We added a spectrum analyser similar to old components with a graphic equalizer. When you turn on “DSEE HX” and change the “Playback screen”, on the right side of the spectrum analyser is a part labelled “High” where you can see the effects. Also we added an analogue level meter that is like the VU meters on amps, “visualizing the sound” is a theme this time, and being able to see music with eyes is something new which we persisted in the UI.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #6,633 of 45,723
Hello, I have received my unit WM1A this morning with the MUC-M12SB1 and I want to comment some things:

- I bought it in AJ and it's the international version, no volume cap, with the high gain option and it has several languages (including spanish).
- If I had bought it in Spain, it would have cost about the 60% of the price I have paid but I think it's essential not to have volume cap (for me). If I were bought the EU version I would have made a mistake (for my use).
- I'm going to use it with MUC-M12SB1 and XBA-Z5 (32 ohm),  without the high gain option and actually flac music the volume is high enough of course, it's easy to hear music around 70-80 volume (of 120).
- For me the problem is hearing some DSD files that are recorded so low (The Mission OST for example). I like to hear music realtively high to hear low details (without shatter my ears of course). I have put the high gain on and I can hear these DSD files without problem at 100-110 and for me is perfect.

The MUC-M12SB1 is fantastic well built but maybe it's too rigid for me. I was used to the MUC-M2Bt1 and the balanced cable for the PHA-3 and I think they are more confortable but I'm still getting used to the new cable.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #6,635 of 45,723
All this talk about Pentaconn and I can not find it anywhere
frown.gif
it is so sad

Don't worry, give it another few weeks, they are starting to roll out and getting cheaper, may be later on you can even buy them from your corner store
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #6,636 of 45,723
All this talk about Pentaconn and I can not find it anywhere
frown.gif
it is so sad

Looks like e-earphone in Japan has them in stock:
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000107464&search=4.4&sort=

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #6,638 of 45,723
Hmm ? Did some one just asked for this
biggrin.gif
. I already tried it, and it is excellent. Wm1z using 4.4 as line out has no hiss or hum. The adaptors take any of Sony Z7 and Z1R cables into XLR 3. Using female Rhodium plated over silver and XLR 3 with Rhodium plated over silver and over gold with inner wires being solid core UPOCC silver, can't get any better than that
biggrin.gif

Brilliant! Glad to hear it works well. Now I need to get me a Kimber Kable version. :)

Hey everyone, is there a slim fit leather case for gold WM?

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #6,639 of 45,723

Brilliant! Glad to hear it works well. Now I need to get me a Kimber Kable version. :)

Hey everyone, is there a slim fit leather case for gold WM?

Any good for you?

http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/product/midas-sony-nw-wm1-leather-case/133/?cate_no=1&display_group=2

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #6,640 of 45,723

Any good for you?

http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/product/midas-sony-nw-wm1-leather-case/133/?cate_no=1&display_group=2

Thank YOU!!!

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #6,641 of 45,723

Thank YOU!!!

No problem. I ordered the Blue one yesterday and it was dispatched within about an hour. Brilliant service.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #6,642 of 45,723
That is something I can not buy
frown.gif
. Google translate is messed up

Send the page to a proxy buying service such as Buyee they'll handle it for you.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6,644 of 45,723
Where are the screenshots saved? and how one knows it took a screenshot? tried the trick of vol +, vol -, power (long press( but the screen didnt turn on

shall the two volumen buttons be pressed simultaneously or in a sequence of + --> -  --> power?

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6,645 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back