SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #4,996 of 45,723
I was comparing my WM1A with calyx M and while in large I like the 1A I couldn't happen to notice when paired with the SW01 the 1A was noticeably less dynamic than calyx M. I am cure things will change once I go balance but that was quiet a surprise to me. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #4,998 of 45,723
  So I just sold my AK380 (which I bought second hand) today with near no lost on what I paid for it, owned it for about 3 months but I'm certain I don't need it anymore because I've realised I prefer the WM1Z as an overall package much more.  In terms of sound the SE is almost comparable with the AK being more neutral and a bit more resolving but in balance the WM1Z pulls out ahead in note attacks, power delivery and overall fun, I suppose if I buy the AK amp for the AK380 then it could be a different story but I'm just not interested in stacking, even with how tidy the amp combo for the AK is.  Deep down I think I liked the AK380 but never really loved it, the overall product didn't really do anything that really wowed me unlike the Sony (as I'm also biased towards the engineering story behind the WM1 Walkmans). It's not always about the sound because nobody is entirely rational, and in the end the 1Z as a product just happens to be the one that appeals to my heart more.

You're not admitting here live that your an audiophile are you, more into machine than sound?

Now I have to say this Dignis case alone makes getting the NW-WM1A/Z worthy. Photo taken from Dignis' twitter

This looks very cool, Dignis do make some quality cases I have to admit.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #5,001 of 45,723
  You're not admitting here live that your an audiophile are you, more into machine than sound?

No I'm being a realists.  
The fact is when you get to this level of equipment the supposed technical and sound differences is usually so tiny (or non-existent) that it's actually the opposite - those who make up BS reasoning how one device sounds "night and day difference" over the other to justify the purchase are the ones whom are fooling themselves.  On the other hand I know exactly what I'm looking for - I'm looking for a complete package where sound/build quality/usability are all weight out and contributes to the final decision of my purchase, rather than chasing for the mystical "sound difference".  As such when I'm buying equipment, it's almost always the "other factors" which swings the purchase, rather than sound, because the difference is usually either very tiny or completely subjective that there's no objective reasoning to justify the purchase. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #5,003 of 45,723
Now I have to say this Dignis case alone makes getting the NW-WM1A/Z worthy. Photo taken from Dignis' twitter

Brings back memories of the good old days... 
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #5,004 of 45,723
BTW, just read on Twitter that Fujiya has some stock of the Pentaconn plugs.

It's times like these that I wish I had more time & $$$ to travel...

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #5,005 of 45,723
No I'm being a realists.  
The fact is when you get to this level of equipment the supposed technical and sound differences is usually so tiny (or non-existent) that it's actually the opposite - those who make up BS reasoning how one device sounds "night and day difference" over the other to justify the purchase are the ones whom are fooling themselves.  On the other hand I know exactly what I'm looking for - I'm looking for a complete package where sound/build quality/usability are all weight out and contributes to the final decision of my purchase, rather than chasing for the mystical "sound difference".  As such when I'm buying equipment, it's almost always the "other factors" which swings the purchase, rather than sound, because the difference is usually either very tiny or completely subjective that there's no objective reasoning to justify the purchase. 

Quite simply the most sensible post i've read on this thread so far. :D

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #5,009 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back