SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #827 of 45,723
  Vinyl is far from perfect in any state and offers it's own compromises in sound quality. I grew up with vinyl and my brother to this day maintains a pretty solid vinyl rig (with still a huge chunk of our original collection from the 80s and 90s), but I don't get what all the fuss is about. Sure it can sound wonderful, so can digital, and I have heard some great vinyl rips and yes indeed the quality can be very, very good. Still, for me, given the genuine and significant amount of space and work one must go through to maintain a vinyl rig, the small benefits (if you hear them as benefits at all) for me are not worth it.

So I'm like you, I don't bother with vinyl, but if a good vinyl rip is made available I have no issue including it in my collection either. I'm not sure vinyl ever sounds better in any state, but it certainly sounds great so not ripping on it either. You see what I did there, ripping on it ....

It isn't necessarily that the vinyl format is better, although it has had over a hundred years of fine tuning, it is that the master used to press it is VERY often better.  The music industry has been compressing our favourite music for years: new music and remasters.  Even some SACD, HDtracks and similar are often forced to sell a compressed hi-res master by the misinformed music industry ejits.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=radiohead&album=in+rainbows

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year/desc?artist=fleetwood+mac&album=rumours

Shocking state of affairs, but quite often a vinyl rip is the most musically satisfying version available to us mortals who don't have access to the master tapes.  I am hoping MQA will help fix this.

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #831 of 45,723
Sep 4, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #832 of 45,723
Sep 4, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #834 of 45,723
  For now maybe users could state at the top of each post the model they are referring to until  the forum gets split for each unit separately

How is it confusing? They both have same OS, same output power, both function in the same exact way. Just different storage, colour and a few internal bits and materials differ that probably won't make any difference.

I think what was meant (and said, actually) was that it's confusing to have two threads on one topic (this and the "Official" one), which is indeed a bit tiresome.

Yazin amk yazin oteki konu ezilsin serefsiz herif.

Okay, I don't know what it is you're doing there, but since it's fairly safe to assume that most people here don't understand what you're saying, my best guess is that you're trying to communicate with a specific person, in which case you might want to take it to PM. Thanks!

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #835 of 45,723
It is bigger according to the specs earlier in this thread

Nope, same physical size, different weight...

Size
Approx. 72.9 x 124.2 x 19.9mm

Weight
Approx. 455g
Approx. 267g

Those are 2 different pics. The 1Z is simply closer to the camera than the 1A in the pic above.

Edit: here's a side by side comparison...

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #837 of 45,723
Different OS:

[COLOR=83838F]NW-WM1Z: [/COLOR][COLOR=83838F]Android platform[/COLOR]
[COLOR=83838F]NW-WM1A: [/COLOR][COLOR=83838F]Sony original OS[/COLOR]

Well that's strange, does the 1Z have WiFi then?

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #839 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back