SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #13,111 of 45,723
Is it true, there´s now a menu option, with which you can switch off the european volume restriction?

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #13,112 of 45,723
I was wondering if you could tell me where you got that case from? I have been looking everywhere and I bought/returned that terrible excuse Miter case on Amazon. (doesnt seal tight on the sides it actually doesnt touch the side so its mushy trying to hit the buttons)

the "dignis" case most likely
They ship to US but EMS cost is very expensive so beware while checkout

http://mobile--shop2.dignis.cafe24....y-nw-wm1-case/133/?cate_no=85&display_group=1

Is it true, there´s now a menu option, with which you can switch off the european volume restriction?
Not exactly
You need to hack the machine and change the region to international or asia
Which removed the volume restrictions

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #13,113 of 45,723
I have come to a point that I cant seem to enjoy my others dap as my ears are so used to the sound of wm1a. I'm finding wm1a is on a warmer more rounded sound with enough of everything that once you get used to it hearing other daps wouldnt be easy.
I had a chance to try the SP1000 again in the Sydney HifiShow for another 2 hours, they were kind enough to let me use it in a quiet. Don't get me wrong Sp1000 is a great DAP but beside the UI sonically it is a DAP that I would have gone crazy for when I first started my journey in this hobby.
SP1000 has a lot of micro-detail, or better to say micro-detail stick out more to me than wm1a. I find to distracting now days.
Anyways Sony give me a miniaturised version of your wm1a and I am good. I have made a heavy move towards getting 4.4mm cables, so for me from this point onward is matter of just paying attention to whatever product that has that features, else it is not for me.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #13,114 of 45,723
I have come to a point that I cant seem to enjoy my others dap as my ears are so used to the sound of wm1a. I'm finding wm1a is on a warmer more rounded sound with enough of everything that once you get used to it hearing other daps wouldnt be easy.
I had a chance to try the SP1000 again in the Sydney HifiShow for another 2 hours, they were kind enough to let me use it in a quiet. Don't get me wrong Sp1000 is a great DAP but beside the UI sonically it is a DAP that I would have gone crazy for when I first started my journey in this hobby.
SP1000 has a lot of micro-detail, or better to say micro-detail stick out more to me than wm1a. I find to distracting now days.
Anyways Sony give me a miniaturised version of your wm1a and I am good. I have made a heavy move towards getting 4.4mm cables, so for me from this point onward is matter of just paying attention to whatever product that has that features, else it is not for me.

Check out Wm1z :) . That is something you may like better. Miniature 1A ? Probably Zx300 upcoming DAP

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #13,115 of 45,723
Check out Wm1z :) . That is something you may like better. Miniature 1A ? Probably Zx300 upcoming DAP
I certainly like the sound of 1Z with my neutral IEM. This way i can truly enjoy the sound that 1Z offers and after listening to UERR for 8 hours I almost sold a number of things to go ahead with this purchase but after listening again against 1A and factoring in form and how I even struggle to take 1A out from time to time I think I like something more compact and lighter.

What would be nice is to see a copper version of ZX300. It should be slightly lighter due to the supposed smaller form.

I am also counting on AR-M200, that would be a direct competitor of ZX300 IMO.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #13,116 of 45,723
I certainly like the sound of 1Z with my neutral IEM. This way i can truly enjoy the sound that 1Z offers and after listening to UERR for 8 hours I almost sold a number of things to go ahead with this purchase but after listening again against 1A and factoring in form and how I even struggle to take 1A out from time to time I think I like something more compact and lighter.

What would be nice is to see a copper version of ZX300. It should be slightly lighter due to the supposed smaller form.

I am also counting on AR-M200, that would be a direct competitor of ZX300 IMO.

I don't even think Sony will adopt "copper version" for Zx300.

1/ ZX series is supposedly a cheaper version of WM series
2/ Sony always like affordable products better than luxurious
3/ Wm1Z chassis alone is almost $900 by itself...yeah...that is the price of 1A there....why ? Because Pentaconn OFC copper is $100 for a plug

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #13,117 of 45,723
I don't even think Sony will adopt "copper version" for Zx300.

1/ ZX series is supposedly a cheaper version of WM series
2/ Sony always like affordable products better than luxurious
3/ Wm1Z chassis alone is almost $900 by itself...yeah...that is the price of 1A there....why ? Because Pentaconn OFC copper is $100 for a plug
I'm concerned more for performance than luxury. I wonder if it would be possible to find an alloy that has similar EMI shielding. I believe in cable shielding but regarding connecting a ground to an alloy will yield a different sound that I personally not quiet so sure of.

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #13,118 of 45,723
I'm concerned more for performance than luxury. I wonder if it would be possible to find an alloy that has similar EMI shielding. I believe in cable shielding but regarding connecting a ground to an alloy will yield a different sound that I personally not quiet so sure of.

Grounding is important, and not only shielding. If you are concerned about performances, go with WM1Z, it has many many different components, and not only grounding. Like I said, copper chassis is the luxurious materials, just how your Bugatti, BMW, Mercedes..Lexus....etc are built. They are luxury vehicles because they have more luxurious things. Why would you be interested in Zx300 Copper version when you don't believe in better grounding ? Then you worry about performances but want smaller than wm1A ? You are contradicting yourself.

My own opinion and experiences, I love Copper, hell even Pentaconn plugs. I can't appreciate enough what Sony just did with WM1Z. If you are serious about Performances, you should be reading into WM1Z and how it were made

Remember, there are trade-off. You just can not have everything.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #13,119 of 45,723
I believe the argument that many people make is copper is good as shield against EMI, there are science which supports it. I would be interested in ZX-300 copper if the copper is going to sonically improve it. I on the hand dont want a copper DAP simply because it is copper.
And I assume with improvement in technology it shouldnt be a surprise to expect better performance or similar performance in smaller packages. I mean there was a time that 5 MB storage required a team of 5 and machinery to move it around, now I can carry 2 TB worth of files in my pocket, I think Moores law hasn't quiet diminished when it comes to audio silicon chips, it is just that research in improving chips audio related isn't at a full steam ahead compared to what we see in CPU and GPU.

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #13,120 of 45,723
Scienctifically Proven is that Copper....is a superior conductor to Aluminum, period.

I on the hand dont want a copper DAP simply because it is copper.
Facts....wm1Z has different components than WM1A...not only copper.

I don't think you read my post, so I simplified it for you

*** what the hell is a Transistor by the way ?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #13,121 of 45,723
Yup, Whitigir speaks the truth. Sony may have overcharged on the chassis on the WM1Z but it is indeed a better material than aluminum especially for grounding and shielding.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #13,122 of 45,723
I think Whitigir is getting too worked up over nothing.
There are companies out there who use various materials not because of it does anything but more because it looks fancy, I don't want that. I never questioned the property of copper, in particular it's EMI shielding property.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #13,123 of 45,723
I think Whitigir is getting too worked up over nothing.
There are companies out there who use various materials not because of it does anything but more because it looks fancy, I don't want that. I never questioned the property of copper, in particular it's EMI shielding property.

Search Sony TA-ER1 and u may understand why. Copper does make a different sound wise just beside shielding. I have read about the audible benefit from grounding using copper chassis as well. The problem with the 1Z is that it uses the ultra expensive OFC block which isn't cheap. I wonder if AK utilizes OFC coppper as well.

The benefit maybe small but at this level everything does help. Whitigir knows his stuff though. He DIYed his KGSSHV Carbon with little instruction for less than a week. You can't build such amp being a novice. He also turned around and build KGSSHV GroundGrid couple of weeks later as well.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #13,124 of 45,723
Lets see what sony has to offer in 2018-2019, @Whitigir speaks of luxury but sony could have coated the copper with other thing to make less flashy or use alu outside and CU/Gold inside

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #13,125 of 45,723
Lets see what sony has to offer in 2018-2019, @Whitigir speaks of luxury but sony could have coated the copper with other thing to make less flashy or use alu outside and CU/Gold inside
All I ask from them is dual microSD slots. Driving power is already enough on the 1Z and 1A for portable application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back