SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #13,096 of 45,723
It's like saying so many more expensive DAP cant even give you battery life of a SONY.

Got me with the battery life. I've read Sony's spec and surprise myself too.
However by design with no 3rd party Shelf DAC or in this case, SONY's proprietary FPGA like Chord's design, uses a lot less energy/voltage to make 96/192/DSD files more efficient and a little tax on batteries life unlike other 3rd party DAC.
Even AK, Fiio, Basso, QP1R can't match.
I gave SONY that strong point, but hearing DSD format requires a balance connection is a little bit absurd to me.
This IMO only so not to get mad.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #13,100 of 45,723
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #13,102 of 45,723
Pha2a is high end, but not at Sony's best level; it uses off the shelf DAC chips.
Actually the older Pha3 as well is using off the shelf DAC chips I think, but desktop versions, not mobile versions.

And yes, I meant portable. At home I do have a desktoo DAC (exasound, if anyone cares, which uses ....off the shelves DAC chips)

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #13,103 of 45,723
Pha2a is high end, but not at Sony's best level; it uses off the shelf DAC chips.
Actually the older Pha3 as well is using off the shelf DAC chips I think, but desktop versions, not mobile versions.

And yes, I meant portable. At home I do have a desktoo DAC (exasound, if anyone cares, which uses ....off the shelves DAC chips)

Pha-3 did have Es9018S (desktop DAC version). Pha-3 is a damn good buy for the price that it is now. I do think when Zx300 get a release, we will see USB DAC on WM series.

Both Zx300 and WM Walkman uses Walkman OS

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #13,104 of 45,723
Pha-3 did have Es9018S (desktop DAC version). Pha-3 is a damn good buy for the price that it is now. I do think when Zx300 get a release, we will see USB DAC on WM series.

Both Zx300 and WM Walkman uses Walkman OS
I agree. Can probably be added via a firmware update. Sony added USB digital out to the hapz1es months after it was released.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #13,105 of 45,723
A little off topic, so I apologize..But with so much knowledge in this very active thread, I had to as I'm hoping to get some quick feedback...

I have a chance to obtain a Sony PHA-2A as a thrown in through a trade and was wondering if this portable amp w/ 4.4mm balanced will better the sound on my DP-X1 w/ 2.5mm balanced..? If it will improve it any, would like to have it...

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #13,106 of 45,723
A little off topic, so I apologize..But with so much knowledge in this very active thread, I had to as I'm hoping to get some quick feedback...

I have a chance to obtain a Sony PHA-2A as a thrown in through a trade and was wondering if this portable amp w/ 4.4mm balanced will better the sound on my DP-X1 w/ 2.5mm balanced..? If it will improve it any, would like to have it...

I have heard the DP-X1, and not a real fan of it though. Not sure if the Pha2-A would do the job, but if I was looking into anything 4.4mm, I would do WM1A as an all in one package. Eventually, Sony will release newer devices with these 4.4mm as it is Jeita standards.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #13,109 of 45,723
OMG! Sony NW-WM1A with a balanced 4.4mm ALO Reference 8 for my Shure SE846s is heavenly! Yes, I need to shave. LOL

I was wondering if you could tell me where you got that case from? I have been looking everywhere and I bought/returned that terrible excuse Miter case on Amazon. (doesnt seal tight on the sides it actually doesnt touch the side so its mushy trying to hit the buttons)

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #13,110 of 45,723
I wish it was acceptable for me. Every dap I own is in a Pelican case and a leather carrying case as well

Thats the difference with this generation though, people get nice equipment and after a year it looks like hell, people dont take care of their belongings now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back