1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875
877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886
Next

Last
  1. proedros
    should have my wm1a in 20 days , my question is this

i have 2-3 cables with trrs termination which were bought for my zx2 player - is there an zx2 trrs > 4.4 wm1a adaptor ?

so i can listen to my wm1a in balanced mode using my terminated-for-zx2 cables

thanx for any feedback

2. Whitigir
    Yes, plus sound or moon audio can make those. Though, your Wm1A can use Zx2 style TRRS on the Single Ended headphone out

proedros likes this.
  3. purk Contributor
    Faster to make your own though, but they are available.

proedros likes this.
  4. bvng3540
    IMG_1365.JPG
    I have one from plussound but never used it if you want to buy it let me know

proedros likes this.
  5. asquare3376
    Got some new cables for the 1Z and Z1R
    _MG_1037.jpg
    Wireworld's Platinum Nano Eclipse with 4.4 Pentaconn
    _MG_1030.jpg
    Norne Audio's Zoetic with Eidolic 4.4

6. Overkill Red
    IMG_5322.JPG
    Wonder where these could've come from..

7. buzzlulu
    Well - what is your take on the cables so far?
    I tried the Wireworld on my Utopias. Nice cable however not a fan on what they did - for the Utopias. I settled on Axios all copper (after also not liking Axios copper/silver).

My experience with the Z1R had been interesting so far - Axios all copper, Axios copper/silver, and stock. More to say later.

8. Whitigir
    Very nice! How do you like it now :D

9. Overkill Red
    It's only just hit 10hours of burn in, but it sounds phenomenal..!

10. Whitigir
    Did you ever had a chance to compare modified 1z with SP1000 yet ? Oh, and what wires did you use inside

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  11. Overkill Red
    Not yet, if you'd like I can give it a go within the next 2-3 days and get back to you here(?)

12. Whitigir
    That would be awesome :p for all of us. Thank you much

13. ledzep
    Been running my player via 3.5mm into my tube amp to power the alpha's, although they sound great as it's working as a good enough line out stage I would rather take a digital out / Dsd signal and feed it into a external dac then onto my ember amp. Question is is there going to be a difference worth the extra money to have player / digital to dac then onto amp as opposed to just taking it direct from the 3.5mm into the amp ? Comments and external dac recommendations welcome.

14. Whitigir
    1/ Digital music signals are a processed signals that will be passing in orders properly to your DAC so it can convert the signals to sin waves (analog) stage.

2/ DSP are used in the playback software to process the music signals and pass it on to your DAC Via....whatever...PCB board or USB ....or...etc....USB 2.0 are common nowadays as it is fully capable of transmitting data and universal applications standard. Hence why different playback apps can affect the sound performances and even sometimes the firmware itself can do so as well. Especially Androids as it is such an open sources and can relate to many different things.

3/. The #1 and #2 makes it that such Devices, or sources that you use to process these "music signals", matters. The better your devices are (hardware+software), the better it process the signals and less losses details or digital errors to happen.

**Yet whether or not** you can observe the digital errors are entirely based on your experiences and your gears.

4/ the #3 makes that so each of everything do matter in its own way, hence why the USB cables will affect your sound quality as well.

Then to answer your questions. Does it matter if you use Headphones out to feed your amp or digital out ? I can tell you that Walkman have wonderful Digital output stage, but can you be so sure that your External DAC/AMP devices to be outperforming the Walkman in the Analog stages of converting and amplifying the digital music signals ? It is up to you to decide.

In my opinion, WM1Z has come a long way to prove that it is top of the line device, and if feeding the WM1Z into another Portable External DAC/Amp, the differences are negligible and even degrade it performances. Unless, I feed WM1Z digitally into Well-built Desktop DAC with a good USB cables, then it is a different story.

Walkman OS is a blessing from Sony, it was originated for Music, and Music only. Luckily that Sony did bring it back and no android on their top tier WM series

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    robin1990 likes this.
  15. ledzep
    Yeah true i'm happy with the sound out of the player i just need to drive the primes a bit more, so looks like i will continue to just amp the player direct as to my ears the quality is the same. The ember just gives the primes a bit more of a push and a nice touch of warmth on my vinyl rips.

First

Back
866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875
877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886
Next

Last