SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #8,761 of 45,723
Feb 4, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #8,762 of 45,723
Would like to know the sound difference of Silver-gold Alloy vs Gold plated gold cables.

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #8,764 of 45,723
Feb 4, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #8,766 of 45,723
Recommended by whom? Gold is seen as many as just a gimmick, cable makers are clearly not in agreement on that.

He asked me, sir, it is recommended by me, sir! Agreement and disagreement make one another, so then just buy whatever cables you think is best for your need :)

The job of the people (cables maker) is to cater to your specific needs. The voicing, the synergy, of your system in making the cables of your choices. It depends on many factors, and his question was specifically too general, so my answer was general. Then if he had specific questions, I would point him into (cables makers) for it. Why ? Because what I found is for my own needs and my personal preferences, my own system.

I hope that answer your questions

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #8,767 of 45,723
Reading the manual was a great experience and definitely one can learn so much,also the battery can be replaced but is a bit of a pain to get to it,plus it has to be solder it on the main board.This Walkman seen to have the best build quality from the pictures and videos i have seen so far,and not getting warm at like,just like the Tera Player is amazing.
Definitely i am thinking about getting one,as soon as i will find more about it.

I don't mean to torture you further, but the price on Amazon UK is at an all time low today. $2147 USD, with 2 day shipping to the US.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #8,771 of 45,723

Quote:
Til now I'm still unable find any seller for the wm port dustcover and both inputs jack cover. So if anyone managed to get these, pls post the link.

Alternative solutions for the jack cover, and Sony case not having an opening for the charge cable.  The case mod could have been neater, but I just got tired of needing to leave the flap open while charging, and just grabbed it and cut it.  Works fine, though.  Much more convenient for charging in the case.  

The jack cover is just a foam bumper, that is used to stick onto the bottom of equipment.  Also works quite well, and I think looks nice, and matches the case.  And cheap!  I am at the moment only using the 4.4mm balanced output, so am just leaving the 3.5mm output covered.

The cable is a no name 99% silver with 1% gold alloy from a local DIY person.  I was really hesitant as it was an unknown quantity, but the stall terminated it to a 3.5mm TRRS, so I could compare with my Whiplash Twag V3 TRRS.  I liked the sound better than the Whiplash, even brand new, compared to the well burned in Whiplash.  More detailed, smooth, vocals and sound stage presented better.  Deeper bass.  So an interesting introduction to silver/gold alloy.  The cable is very flexible.   I really didn't know what to expect, and it is not easy to get the equivalent plug on the new cable to be able to compare properly.  Without a comparison, I would not have been able to bring myself to buy it.  And he also re-terminated the new cable to an Eidolic 4.4mm plug for me, so I could go direct to the 4.4mm output without needing to use a 4.4mm Plug to 3.5mm TRRS female adapter.  So I'm all set for now.   I also got the adapter made up for me from the same stall.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #8,773 of 45,723
Today i have free time to do comparison 3 high end DAPS in term of sound quality and power to drive my Accoustic Enigma Dharma headphone.

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on these players and for not making any unsubstantiated claims. One thing I wish you would have included though, is your opinion on the Sony's overall sound presentation with the DC Phase Linearizer engaged. I would think that quite a bit of R&D went into it and the purchase price reflects it's inclusion. In my opinion, it's effect is obvious and very favorable.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #8,774 of 45,723

Alternative solutions for the jack cover, and Sony case not having an opening for the charge cable.  The case mod could have been neater, but I just got tired of needing to leave the flap open while charging, and just grabbed it and cut it.  Works fine, though.  Much more convenient for charging in the case.  

The jack cover is just a foam bumper, that is used to stick onto the bottom of equipment.  Also works quite well, and I think looks nice, and matches the case.  And cheap!  I am at the moment only using the 4.4mm balanced output, so am just leaving the 3.5mm output covered.

The cable is a no name 99% silver with 1% gold alloy from a local DIY person.  I was really hesitant as it was an unknown quantity, but the stall terminated it to a 3.5mm TRRS, so I could compare with my Whiplash Twag V3 TRRS.  I liked the sound better than the Whiplash, even brand new, compared to the well burned in Whiplash.  More detailed, smooth, vocals and sound stage presented better.  Deeper bass.  So an interesting introduction to silver/gold alloy.  The cable is very flexible.   I really didn't know what to expect, and it is not easy to get the equivalent plug on the new cable to be able to compare properly.  Without a comparison, I would not have been able to bring myself to buy it.  And he also re-terminated the new cable to an Eidolic 4.4mm plug for me, so I could go direct to the 4.4mm output without needing to use a 4.4mm Plug to 3.5mm TRRS female adapter.  So I'm all set for now.   I also got the adapter made up for me from the same stall.

I know the WM1Z sold at the Japanese retail stores comes with white plastic headphone plugs.  Appears those in the UK and US does not.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #8,775 of 45,723

I know the WM1Z sold at the Japanese retail stores comes with white plastic headphone plugs.  Appears those in the UK and US does not.

The Japanese version don't come with the leather case.  Price tag wise the non-Japanese versions are the better deal as that leather case is not exactly cheap (though also not exactly that practical either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back