SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #676 of 45,723
Yes will be great to know more about the battery inside,in case one is concerned.As for me i do not want to update every year and worry about battery life.The more often you charge the player the less battery life span.
Bigger battery= longer playback time= longer life for the battery.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #677 of 45,723
Hmm, sealed as in completely impossible to open up for repairs? Sony should be able top open them, if necessary by destroying that leather patch and putting on a new one afterwards. I don't see why one would have to have a warranty to get a battery replaced, as long as you are willing to pay for the work and the parts. Apple offers such battery replacements for devices that are many years old. Watch companies will fix watches that are decades out of warranty, as long as you pay. The question is whether Sony offers this, and for how long - if this is yet another proprietary battery size, they may no longer be making them in five or ten years, and NOS batteries will have degraded just by aging.

Wel, usually some cottage industry arises that allows you to keep your old gear working, but that should not be necessary if the manufacturer did their job.

Sure you can get out of service repairs including battery replacement but it will cost alot more than an extended warranty will.  Shipping alone will cost more than the extended warranty. Also typically with an extended warranty you will get a newer replacement unit as it is cheaper to ship a replacement than to pay someone to replace the battery.  Turn around time is much faster, mine was only 9 days.  My unit was 20 months old and kind of beat up and I got what looks like a new unit back in perfect condition. 

With out of service warranty they will typically ship your unit oversees as it is to expensive to maintain service departments in every country. You of course will pay for everything and you will have to wait alot longer to get your unit back. Out of service repair for something like a battery replacement could cost you more than a 4 year extended warranty.  I think for my A17 it would have been like $85.00 including AHD coverage which covers accidental drop damage.  I was lucky and I got the 1 year extended warranty free.but I would have paid for it otherwise.

The worst part is you have no idea what you are actually being charged for outside of the initial shipping.  With an extended warranty you get the piece of mind of not having to worry about it.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #678 of 45,723
I would think twice about importing the WM1A or WM1Z from Japan as the menu language will be Japanese only.  This is the case for the old A847, A867, as well as the ZX100JP.  Of course, if you can get your hand on an international version then English language should be one of the language option.  I would looking to buy the unit from HK than Japan.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #679 of 45,723
@fish1050, I tend to agree with you where extended warranty is concerned. If it is a device you see yourself keeping for at least the full term covered by the extended warranty, and the plan isn't absolutely stupidly over-priced it makes sense. The cost of service can be very high so protection is important.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #680 of 45,723
NO internet streaming = NO NO for me ! 

Come on Sony, Streaming is the future to discover new music (and then you still can download the one you really like to store for off-line playing )

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #681 of 45,723
  I would think twice about importing the WM1A or WM1Z from Japan as the menu language will be Japanese only.  This is the case for the old A847, A867, as well as the ZX100JP.  Of course, if you can get your hand on an international version then English language should be one of the language option.  I would looking to buy the unit from HK than Japan.

I wonder if that is a concern anymore? Don't you think the DAPs will have full language support and the user simply selects their language?

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #682 of 45,723
Yes will be great to know more about the battery inside,in case one is concerned.As for me i do not want to update every year and worry about battery life.The more often you charge the player the less battery life span.
Bigger battery= longer playback time= longer life for the battery.

Especially since Sony recommends replacing the battery at 50% battery life.  It took my A17 less than two years to get to about 50%.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #684 of 45,723
The part I don't get is which day have a volume cap other than Sony? They all sold in Europe! Anyone? So what the screw is wrong with Sony?

Yes Sony seems to be the only one with a volume cap. I have no idea why they do it

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #685 of 45,723

ZX2 has English menu.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #686 of 45,723

eh....my ZX2 was imported from Japan...and it's in English ... and it has no vol cap bs...and it's cheaper.....Warranty? wouldn't mind sending it back to the one who sold it to me for repair....done a couple of times with HDP R10.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #687 of 45,723
  I wonder if that is a concern anymore? Don't you think the DAPs will have full language support and the user simply selects their language?

My A17 only came with english so no that isn't the case at all.  I actually remember a sales rep telling me they don't like to do it because it helps prevent units for one market being shipped to another country by a third party for black market sales.  Prices are typically much lower in Asia than say Canada so you could buy a bunch of units in Japan where cost is low and then ship to Canada and make a profit after marking it up.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #688 of 45,723
Yes Sony seems to be the only one with a volume cap. I have no idea why they do it

If the previous post is right about volume cap only applying to units shipped with headphones it makes sense.  Some Sony DAP's come with earbuds and Sony doesn't want to have to differentiate between units with volume caps and those without during production so they can choose which units they want to include earbuds with.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #690 of 45,723
some one mentioned to me about amazon worldwide, it is not the .com one?

PS i want to see pictures of the revamped sony OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back