SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #5,806 of 45,723
What is the best screen cover for the 1z? I am looking for glass.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #5,807 of 45,723
Does a standard 3.5 cable can become a 4.4mm balanced with adaptor or it will only work with balanced cable at the beginning

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #5,808 of 45,723

Where is this place in tokyo.

As @echineko correctly assumed, it's in e-earphone in Akihabara. Mind you 11 hrs later, I don't know if they still will have any available but no harm in going up to ask.

I've been search through taobao, many 4.4mm plug are showing up starting from USD 20 each, there are also 4.4 to 2.5 and 4.4 to 3.5 cables available at USD 50, those living in hong kong, china, macau and other asian countries can get them directly, other countries can use a agent.

It seems like many more will show up in the coming weeks.

4.4 adapter cables

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.144.OFKfRr&id=543383574338&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail

4.4mm plugs

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.98.OFKfRr&id=540805652183&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.75.OFKfRr&id=543088023385&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail

Oyaide, Bispa are starting to make the 4.4mm plugs now for approx $14.50 -> $16.50 which is much more reasonable than the Pentaconn $45 ones. The only thing that does bug me is that the plugs are long. What would be nice if the makers would come up with the 90° that Sony uses.

I'm not in a rush for a case, just wanted the address beforehand during my visit to tokyo, but if it's only a temporary location, no need.

Agree on that if they have these plugs in a L shape, this cable looks ok http://www.kumitatelab.com/4.4mm5polecable/  and it does have a L shape plug, probably my next IEM is the Xelento, and the cable is very thin and soft, and to put over your ears, you don't notice it's there, unlike many customs one, im' considering the cable above from kumitatelab, but don't want it to be hard, may be I can pick up the AK cables that was made for the T8IE with the 2.5mm and it's a balanced cable and put a 4.4mm plug on it.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #5,809 of 45,723

As @echineko
 correctly assumed, it's in e-earphone in Akihabara. Mind you 11 hrs later, I don't know if they still will have any available but no harm in going up to ask.

Oyaide, Bispa are starting to make the 4.4mm plugs now for approx $14.50 -> $16.50 which is much more reasonable than the Pentaconn $45 ones. The only thing that does bug me is that the plugs are long. What would be nice if the makers would come up with the 90° that Sony uses.

Wait...Oyaide 3.5mm was even more pricing than that lol...we are probably talking about cheapest of their line ? How about Furutech
biggrin.gif
can't wait for them

Hold back, prices are dropping and more are coming out.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #5,810 of 45,723

Check Sony japan site, they have one made from sapphire crystal, not cheap.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #5,811 of 45,723
Wait...Oyaide 3.5mm was even more pricing than that lol...we are probably talking about cheapest of their line ? How about Furutech
biggrin.gif
can't wait for them

So their 4.4mm isn't in the Oyaide packaging. At first I thought it was Oyaide was reselling a Chinese brand but talking to them today at the e-earphone show, they said it was theirs.

Oyaide :-

Bispa :-

Pentaconn (there's actually 2 types but the store only had 1) :-

Comparison between the Pentacoon & Bispa :-

e-earphone didn't have glass ones but they did have one that was slightly thicker perspex and 2 other film ones. The original Sony one is film.

Does a standard 3.5 cable can become a 4.4mm balanced with adaptor or it will only work with balanced cable at the beginning

I think it's generally not recommend to go from balanced output (from the DAP or Amp) to single ended on the headphone side. But single ended output (from the DAP or Amp) to a balanced connector on the headphone side is ok. I've not understood it correctly but it could potentially damage some component (headphone side? amp side?).

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #5,812 of 45,723

biggrin.gif
can't wait for them

So their 4.4mm isn't in the Oyaide packaging. At first I thought it was Oyaide was reselling a Chinese brand but talking to them today at the e-earphone show, they said it was theirs.

Oyaide :-

Bispa :-

Pentaconn (there's actually 2 types but the store only had 1) :-

Comparison between the Pentacoon & Bispa :-

e-earphone didn't have glass ones but they did have one that was slightly thicker perspex and 2 other film ones. The original Sony one is film.

I think it's generally not recommend to go from balanced output (from the DAP or Amp) to single ended on the headphone side. But single ended output (from the DAP or Amp) to a balanced connector on the headphone side is ok. I've not understood it correctly but it could potentially damage some component (headphone side? amp side?).

It's hard to believe what Oyaide said, many of them all says it's theirs, and there are so many on the market, even in china, the same design is all over taobao, i'll just wait for more to show up and prices will get cheaper.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #5,813 of 45,723
  I'm not in a rush for a case, just wanted the address beforehand during my visit to tokyo, but if it's only a temporary location, no need.

It's the main E-earphones shop in Akihabara, I believe 4th floor of the building (the CIEM lab is downstairs). Once you enter the huge showroom with all sorts of gear, there are glass display cabinets on the left that showcase various Dignis cases (and some others brands). It most definitely is not a temporary area :p

I believe what Anakchan meant was he's not sure about the availability, and they're certainly selling fast. Indeed they already sold out of the red model I wanted when I enquired with them earlier today, I placed an order for the next shipment that's apparently arriving next week. Some of the colours are also not in stock yet, first shipments are expected to be around the same time.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #5,814 of 45,723

It's the main E-earphones shop in Akihabara, I believe 4th floor of the building (the CIEM lab is downstairs). Once you enter the huge showroom with all sorts of gear, there are glass display cabinets on the left that showcase various Dignis cases (and some others brands). It most definitely is not a temporary area :p

I believe what Anakchan meant was he's not sure about the availability, and they're certainly selling fast. Indeed they already sold out of the red model I wanted when I enquired with them earlier today, I placed an order for the next shipment that's apparently arriving next week. Some of the colours are also not in stock yet, first shipments are expected to be around the same time.

My visit to tokyo has been pushed back to october, so I will pick up the WM1A and a case in october, who know, there might even be a new model by then.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #5,816 of 45,723
Dec 18, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #5,817 of 45,723
Dec 18, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #5,819 of 45,723
use a agent to make the purchase.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,820 of 45,723
It's hard to believe what Oyaide said, many of them all says it's theirs, and there are so many on the market, even in china, the same design is all over taobao, i'll just wait for more to show up and prices will get cheaper.

That was why I said "...reselling a Chinese brand ..."
Instead of saying "Chinese make".

Cos it still could be an Oyaide brand but made in China. I chose my words carefully there, mate :wink:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back