SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 45,723
You don't get my point.  It is good for them to make all the profits but very bad for us for getting less less for our money.  Sony was releasing flagship MD players every year back in the late 90s for 10 years.  All flagships (year after years) were priced relatively the same from one year to another while each new flagship continued to improve in both aspects of sound and function as well as features.  Why can't we go back to that?  Should I thank AK for this massive greed?  Heck NO!

Sony is in a position to price their new flagship at $1500 and eliminating all "off-brand" all together.  Why not do that and take back all of their market share?  Pricing their new flagship DAP $3000 will do more harm than good.  I'm one of Sony biggest fan and I refuse to buy any DAP at that price.  A similar flagship headphones & amp/dac at that price are more reasonable.

No I get you point perfectly.

Except the electronic market -not just audio- has shown time and again that pricing strategy is nowhere as simple as "just undercut your most expensive comeptitor and offer similar or better performance". It simply doesn't work that way because consumers are not perfectly rational (especially audio where it is probably one of the least rational). No one is ever in any position to "off" the other cheap brands because some crazy business man is always willing to go below you, Samsung tried to do that and now makers such as Xaomi and One Plus ate Samsung's lunch from the bottom out of nowhere. In the audio world did Fiio ever offed anyone? No. FOTM and high performing Onkyo DPX1 dap didn't off the competition either, seriously just study the history.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #32 of 45,723
So much fire on for some speculations ^^
Well as someone posted it earlier, it seems that there are 2 references which are.... WM1A and WM1Z...
If you're Sony followers you should know what A and especially what Z stands for...
So you can drive some conclusions on the products and price
smily_headphones1.gif

A is a reference to the A-series, whereas Z points toward the ZX DAPs. One of the main differences between the two series is the operating system.
So we can choose between Android and Sony's own unique OS? That would be tremendous!

Edit: My theory doesn't work since the ZX100 is not based on Android. But the Z-series, on the other hand, is based on Android. Man, I really loved my Z Walkman back in the days...

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #33 of 45,723

A is a reference to the A-series, whereas Z points toward the ZX DAPs. One of the main differences between the two series is the operating system.
So we can choose between Android and Sony's own unique OS? That would be tremendous!

Edit: My theory doesn't work since the ZX100 is not based on Android. But the Z-series, on the other hand, is based on Android. Man, I really loved my Z Walkman back in the days...

ZX100 is non-andriod operating system.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #34 of 45,723

ZX100 is non-andriod operating system.

and still sounds pretty good but build was a total no-no

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #35 of 45,723
Leviticus very interresting theory! But as you said it, it doesn't work here hehe

Well within Sony, Z and X always stand for high end / flagship model
=>Bravia X (XBR) and this IFA will bring back the top Bravia Z
=>Xperia Z and now Xperia X series
=>Walkman X then Walkman Z and Walkman ZX

Can you guys find what other audio products Sony released recently that also have A & Z equivalent?
If you do, you'll understand the logic of WM1A and WM1Z

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #37 of 45,723
So, it looks like $3k is the price. If it's Android based and better than the zx2, I'm getting it. Based on price, it must be better than the zx2, it absolutely has to be.

I doubt that man.  I hope that's true.  How about a 1TB onboard for those precious hi-rez?

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #38 of 45,723
I don't think I could ever enjoy buying a $2000 dap without worrying whether it could take a fall. Moreover customer service nowadays is risky when problems occur within the warranty if buying directly from the company.
For now I will continue to enjoy my Z1070

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #39 of 45,723
New MDR-1000X

MDR-1000X.png

1000X_1.jpg

1000X_2.jpg

The 1000X appears to be part of the high end line of Sony headphones, High-Resolution Audio compatible along with active noise cancellation, the 1000X is packed with a lot of new technology. The headphones feature a personal NC Optimizer which tailors the noise-canceling performance perfectly for you. This is accomplished by the headphones optimizing the performance of noise cancelling by analyzing the shape of your head and wearing style. How exactly this happens is unknown to me, but I am sure Sony will explain it at IFA, or perhaps they will not. An ambient sound mode is included, there are 2 modes, I will let Sony explain the 2 modes.

Normal mode: you can hear the ambient sounds like you don’t wear the headphones.
Voice mode: you can notice voice and announcement around you with unnecessary noise cancellation.

Seems the voice mode cancels out the ambient noise like cars and random noise but permits sound to come through. The right unit features a touch sensor on its side; by covering and holding the entire surface of the touch sensor, the NC is turned off and the volume is turned down automatically. This permits one to hear any announcements and conversations quickly without the need to remove the headphones. Like most high end Sony headphones, the 1000X feature DSEE HX which upscales existing music to near high-resolution sound quality. In addition to SBC/AAC, aptX and LDAC codecs are supported for high quality bluetooth streaming, and with NFC, connections are quick and easy. The headphones swivel to fold into a compact shape for easy travel and storage. Playback time is 20 hours with NC on and 22 hours with NC off. Standby time with NC on is 34 hours and a 120 hours when the headset is turned off. The headset can also be used with a wired connection, NC on around 30 hours.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #40 of 45,723
I hope you are right because I would def buy this one! :wink:
My concern is for physical buttons. I really do hope it will have them. 
And Sony, please....please, add more voltage or power or whatever....spare power for nicer, richer performance! (Not if Sony players didn't sound warm, but still...)
I am very much excited about this one.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #41 of 45,723
  I hope you are right because I would def buy this one! :wink:
My concern is for physical buttons. I really do hope it will have them. 
And Sony, please....please, add more voltage or power or whatever....spare power for nicer, richer performance! (Not if Sony players didn't sound warm, but still...)
I am very much excited about this one.

I am also excited about this one, saying bye bye to my zx100

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #43 of 45,723

Defo man...I hope the size will be OK as well. There's gonna be the new A series as well, if this is going to be too big and touchscreen, and if the price tag is going to be too big, I think I'll go for the new A30 series players. I hope they will be different than the A10/A20 series. I love the look of the NWZ-A829 for example, I'd love to see a new A series which is more similar to that one, with 64 or 128 GB of storage...:wink:

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #44 of 45,723

Defo man...I hope the size will be OK as well. There's gonna be the new A series as well, if this is going to be too big and touchscreen, and if the price tag is going to be too big, I think I'll go for the new A30 series players. I hope they will be different than the A10/A20 series. I love the look of the NWZ-A829 for example, I'd love to see a new A series which is more similar to that one, with 64 or 128 GB of storage...:wink:

well once you go to ZX range, (at least for me) you can't go lower again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back