SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #44,566 of 45,723
Congrats for your WM1A!

There is a main post for the WM1 player mods, here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-2738#post-15747959

CHAMELEON is just the normal stock/official sound, with the ability to switch the models between 1A and 1Z. WM1A/Z+ and ++ both have a different sound. Feel free to read the main post for more details.

Right now I am using WM1A/Z++ on my WM1A. I did not switch the model, so the model is 1A.

Thanks, Got a really good deal on eBay for a new one!

I’ll probably do the same. It’s a bit overwhelming to just read them and probably better to try them out first then decide. To make it easier I’m gonna install the ++ with the 1A model.

When I purchased the 1A I had NO IDEA how entertaining this thread is. (The nw-45a thread is tamed & ‘normal’ compared this one.) In this thread, There’s jokes, useful info, conspiracy theories, debates. I feel right at home! I’m afraid of even missing a day because there’s pages of ‘action’ you miss. Haha

Just to put my 2 cents on one debate. I read people that have Walkman series with WiFi/Android don’t really like them because somehow it gets in the way of the performance??? I can’t speak about this first hand experience though.

I think that XMOS desktop dac with PC/Macs do a better job when it comes to streaming music outputs. It's just my opinion though.

I do like having a player that ONLY plays music files though. A lot of apps and stuff you can tell they are processing the sound with exception to some really well made ones like Hiby or jetaudio but again that’s subjective. But to me, NOTHING beats HQPlayer Pro 4 on desktop! I have heard that with Roon and HQPlayer Pro 4, It’s amazing but haven’t tried it myself.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #44,567 of 45,723
Over the past couple of nights I compared the following configurations of my WM1A:

WM1A Region J Switched to 1Z using CHAMELEON 3.02 (1.3) AKA WM1AZ
WM1A Region J Switched to 1Z using WM1AZ+ 3.02 (1.4) AKA WM1AZ+
WM1A Region J using WM1AZ+ 3.02 (1.4) AKA WM1A+

The gold standard that they were compared to was my WM1Z Region J AKA WM1Z. For all of these comparisons I used my Solaris 2020, DHC Clone Silver balanced (resolution beast) and ADV custom tips.
  • WM1AZ is very close to the WM1Z. But the WM1Z had deeper bass and a larger soundstage.
  • WM1AZ+ had a larger soundstage but the low end was very weak, anemic compare to WM1AZ or WM1Z
  • WM1A+ switching back to 1A and reloading the firmware brought the bass back that was missing in the WM1AZ+. The soundstage is much bigger and 3D than the WM1A and the WM1Z. However it's missing some of the upper bass. I would say that the details are there but it's missing some heft or depth that I know should be there. This was evident on grand piano recordings, some acoustic guitar recordings and some male singers like Jon Anderson of Yes.
So what is my preferred sound? That's hard. I love the soundstage and 3D nature of the WM1A+ but miss the warmth or upper bass depth that the WM1AZ has. I would say the WM1AZ is the more accurate or realistic sounding configuration.

I'm going to have to spend more time with the WM1A+ configuration and maybe cable roll to see if my DHC Clone Fusion can bring back the missing warmth. If that doesn't fix it I'll probably end back on WM1AZ.

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #44,569 of 45,723
Sep 10, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #44,570 of 45,723
Need some help of folks who bought tourist or international version of 1a or 1z, I need to know what was the region that the 1a or 1z was set to please.

From the rockbox list we can see its the region E but is it really a tourist version ?

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #44,571 of 45,723
Thanks, Got a really good deal on eBay for a new one!

I’ll probably do the same. It’s a bit overwhelming to just read them and probably better to try them out first then decide. To make it easier I’m gonna install the ++ with the 1A model.

When I purchased the 1A I had NO IDEA how entertaining this thread is. (The nw-45a thread is tamed & ‘normal’ compared this one.) In this thread, There’s jokes, useful info, conspiracy theories, debates. I feel right at home! I’m afraid of even missing a day because there’s pages of ‘action’ you miss. Haha

Just to put my 2 cents on one debate. I read people that have Walkman series with WiFi/Android don’t really like them because somehow it gets in the way of the performance??? I can’t speak about this first hand experience though.

I think that XMOS desktop dac with PC/Macs do a better job when it comes to streaming music outputs. It's just my opinion though.

I do like having a player that ONLY plays music files though. A lot of apps and stuff you can tell they are processing the sound with exception to some really well made ones like Hiby or jetaudio but again that’s subjective. But to me, NOTHING beats HQPlayer Pro 4 on desktop! I have heard that with Roon and HQPlayer Pro 4, It’s amazing but haven’t tried it myself.
you are in for a threat i will wellcome you!

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #44,572 of 45,723
Over the past couple of nights I compared the following configurations of my WM1A:

WM1A Region J Switched to 1Z using CHAMELEON 3.02 (1.3) AKA WM1AZ
WM1A Region J Switched to 1Z using WM1AZ+ 3.02 (1.4) AKA WM1AZ+
WM1A Region J using WM1AZ+ 3.02 (1.4) AKA WM1A+

The gold standard that they were compared to was my WM1Z Region J AKA WM1Z. For all of these comparisons I used my Solaris 2020, DHC Clone Silver balanced (resolution beast) and ADV custom tips.
  • WM1AZ is very close to the WM1Z. But the WM1Z had deeper bass and a larger soundstage.
  • WM1AZ+ had a larger soundstage but the low end was very weak, anemic compare to WM1AZ or WM1Z
  • WM1A+ switching back to 1A and reloading the firmware brought the bass back that was missing in the WM1AZ+. The soundstage is much bigger and 3D than the WM1A and the WM1Z. However it's missing some of the upper bass. I would say that the details are there but it's missing some heft or depth that I know should be there. This was evident on grand piano recordings, some acoustic guitar recordings and some male singers like Jon Anderson of Yes.
So what is my preferred sound? That's hard. I love the soundstage and 3D nature of the WM1A+ but miss the warmth or upper bass depth that the WM1AZ has. I would say the WM1AZ is the more accurate or realistic sounding configuration.

I'm going to have to spend more time with the WM1A+ configuration and maybe cable roll to see if my DHC Clone Fusion can bring back the missing warmth. If that doesn't fix it I'll probably end back on WM1AZ.
have you tried MX3 and also have you tried MX3 + 3.00 1.4 with DSEE AI and heavy EQ for me its the best

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #44,575 of 45,723
have you tried MX3 and also have you tried MX3 + 3.00 1.4 with DSEE AI and heavy EQ for me its the best
I need BT remote so J or E only for me. Also this was all with Hi-Res content so no DSEE AI and EQ is a four letter word to me.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #44,576 of 45,723
Can you share your EQ ???

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #44,577 of 45,723
Need some help of folks who bought tourist or international version of 1a or 1z, I need to know what was the region that the 1a or 1z was set to please.

From the rockbox list we can see its the region E but is it really a tourist version ?
I can confirm that the HK version, which should be the Asia area, comes set to Destination Code E

Destination code / Area /Volume/ Language/ FM range /NW-WM1 /NW-A20 /NW-A35
E / Asia / Australia / NZ / Tourist /uncapped multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz "High Gain Output" and "Remote Control" (RMT-NWS20 necessary) settings

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #44,578 of 45,723
you are in for a threat i will wellcome you!

@Mindstorms Thanks for your kind welcoming!!!

I wanted to take the time and Thank the entire thread for all the kind Welcoming messages and Feedback on and off the thread (my PMs are flooded with Welcome messages and other useful stuff to maximize my WM1A listening experience.) I am EXTREMELY grateful to ALL of you!!!

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #44,580 of 45,723
@Mindstorms Thanks for your kind welcoming!!!

I wanted to take the time and Thank the entire thread for all the kind Welcoming messages and Feedback on and off the thread (my PMs are flooded with Welcome messages and other useful stuff to maximize my WM1A listening experience.) I am EXTREMELY grateful to ALL of you!!!
Welcome to the community dude. As long as you have 1A/1Z you are welcome here.

Others daps can bugger off, Hahahaha 😸 Just joking, don’t kill me 😂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back