SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #44,536 of 45,723
Question, on your current FM, it’s also meant to be used on the 1Z?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #44,537 of 45,723
Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #44,538 of 45,723
Thanks, I ordered the case on Amazon but the hard case is hard to find. I’m well aware of Taobao but I hate to use the agents to ship overseas! I will try AliExpress if they have it there. Thanks.

Better solution as it's not worth the cost and hasstle to deal with an agent for such a small item. Think the hard case is medium as FatBear produce differing sizes. I can always measure mine if needs be.

Q-6

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #44,539 of 45,723
Good to know. Thanks, Mr. Walkman. At this rate, I may recommend these DAPs to friends. They are far ahead of their time. If they have the budget that is.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #44,540 of 45,723
Good to know. Thanks, Mr. Walkman. At this rate, I may recommend these DAPs to friends. They are far ahead of their time. If they have the budget that is.

Yep, not the easiest purchase money-wise, but it's worth it (WM1A).

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #44,541 of 45,723
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #44,542 of 45,723
It Improves both.
Dang. So lots more to play with really. When I finish completing my teaching certification training, I’ll really have to dive deep into these mods :thinking:

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #44,543 of 45,723
Amigos, is it possible to connect the NW-WM1x to a Chord Hugo 2 with a digital cable to use the walkman as a transport the the Hugo 2 as a dac / amp?
Absolutely. I use my 1Z as transport for my Hugo 2 with the Sony WMC-NWH10 digital cable and with stellar results. This way you can get the very clean digital output stream your WM1A/Z is capable of. You can use the BCR-NWH10 charging/digital output device too but at a higher cost.
In fact the 1Z is one of the very best digital transport I’ve ever tried.
Remember to engage the DoP output option in the 1A/1Z to enjoy DSD with the Hugo 2. Otherwise the stream will be downconverted to PCM prior to output.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #44,544 of 45,723
Absolutely. I use my 1Z as transport for my Hugo 2 with the Sony WMC-NWH10 digital cable and with stellar results. This way you can get the very clean digital output stream your WM1A/Z is capable of. You can use the BCR-NWH10 charging/digital output device too but at a higher cost.
Remember to engage the DoP output option in the 1A/1Z to enjoy DSD with the Hugo 2. Otherwise the stream will be downconverted to PCM prior to output.
So 1Z on the cradle to the Hugo? Is that the setup?

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #44,545 of 45,723
Right now seems unlikely for a new release of the flagship series DAP's in the near future, especially with the recent focus on the ZX500 and rebranding to Signature Series. For those looking for a pure high quality music player that is feature rich WM1A/Z remains to be an excellent choice and the added flexibility of CFW only serves to add more to that appeal for many.

With my WM1A I can play music how I want it, not just a preconceived notion by someone else. TBH far more should vote with their wallets as companies are ever more pressing for control and to capitalise on their user base. Should Sony completely shut the door it would be a great shame and only result in less interest, with far fewer likely to recommend yet another locked down closed system...

Q-6

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #44,546 of 45,723

Is that right? That's great news and thank you for confirming it. And in that setup, are you able to turn "direct mode" off in the walkman, engage DSEE HX (or any other feature) and perceive the effects through the Hugo?

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #44,547 of 45,723
This way you can get the very clean digital output stream your WM1A/Z is capable of. You can use the BCR-NWH10 charging/digital output device too but at a higher cost.

At least, with the Wm1A ... nothing is coming out of my BCR-NWH10 ... maybe with 1Z only.?
I tried many cables(OTG or not) to many external DACs (M500, R6Pro, M11, Xduuo XD05+, ..) I have nothing coming out from this digital out plug... but it working fine as input mode and WM1A acting as a DAC with Iphone, Notebook, R6Pro, etc.).
It would be nice if I could even just get a simple "line sound" as output from this dock to connect my WM1A to an external TA-N55ES amp without having to connect a cable in and out in the 3.5mm plug every time I want to use the WM1A on this dock
WM1A.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #44,548 of 45,723
This is actual media photo from Koss, looks like they are very serious about the cutting hair part.
As seen in The Empire Strikes Back

I was in an airport in Japan waiting for a plane. So I thought I would try these new Koss Porta Pro® Classic On Ears. As I'm listening these two young Japanese woman near kept looking over and smiling? I'm thinking "Wow" these must be stylish or have some attraction to them or something? I really wasn't sure, but the Japanese girls kept looking over and smiling, actually both at the same time?! :):)

Finally my Wife walks over and sits down next to me. She tugs on my shirt to take off the headphones. She says..........."Honey those headphones are so loud that everyone around you can hear exactly what you're listening to."

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #44,549 of 45,723
Is that right? That's great news and thank you for confirming it. And in that setup, are you able to turn "direct mode" off in the walkman, engage DSEE HX (or any other feature) and perceive the effects through the Hugo?

When using the cradle or that USB adapter for USB audio out, effects are not working.

I think the player acts only as a sound data source, not too different than an USB stick for example.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #44,550 of 45,723
When using the cradle or that USB adapter for USB audio out, effects are not working.

I think the player acts only as a sound data source, not too different than an USB stick for example.
Is the 1Z/1A connected to the TA via the Walkman cable a better connection than the Cradle with the 1A/1Z in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back