SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #44,551 of 45,723
When Sony released their premium sound 64GB microsd card back in 2015 for USD$160, many on the internet ridiculed Sony even electrical engineers who dismissed the whole thing claiming if you designed your product correctly then it shouldn't be influenced by the electrical noise.

Lucky for us in 2020, the sandisk extreme pro 64GB can be purchased for the ultra low price of just USD$22. It will allow for anyone to easily test out if microsd card can influence the sound of their walkman or any dap in 2020.

I think we should always keep an open mind on things and not ready to dismiss something as impossible without actually experiencing it for yourself or doing more research into the topic. Especially when we live in the post edward snowden world where subversive things are going on behind our backs.

Call me crazy, but I just bought a 512gb extreme pro for use in my upcoming R8, I copied all my songs from my 1Z’s micro sd to this new card, then I put the extreme pro in my 1Z and play some songs. Omg, it sounds waayyy better than my original card (a 400gb sandisk ultra). I switched back and forth between the two cards, and with the ultra it sounds like there’s a veil and muffled, notes are not nearly as defined as the extreme pro. Separation and imaging is also a lot better with extreme pro. The difference is just too obvious I can’t ignore it. I’m ordering a second one now.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #44,552 of 45,723
Is the 1Z/1A connected to the TA via the Walkman cable a better connection than the Cradle with the 1A/1Z in your opinion?

I think both connections work the same.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #44,553 of 45,723
Sep 10, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #44,554 of 45,723
Wild getting used to the 1Z, with MrWalkmans 1A/1Z+ “J” region on model 1Z. While less fast than the 1A, and clunky.......:)......it’s amazingly real. Really hard to say which player is better in the end.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #44,555 of 45,723
Wild getting used to the 1Z, with MrWalkmans 1A/1Z+ “J” region on model 1Z. While less fast than the 1A, and clunky.......:)......it’s amazingly real. Really hard to say which player is better in the end.
Was today your first time switching over to the 1Z with the FM?

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #44,556 of 45,723
Call me crazy, but I just bought a 512gb extreme pro for use in my upcoming R8, I copied all my songs from my 1Z’s micro sd to this new card, then I put the extreme pro in my 1Z and play some songs. Omg, it sounds waayyy better than my original card (a 400gb sandisk ultra). I switched back and forth between the two cards, and with the ultra it sounds like there’s a veil and muffled, notes are not nearly as defined as the extreme pro. Separation and imaging is also a lot better with extreme pro. The difference is just too obvious I can’t ignore it. I’m ordering a second one now.

Congratulations on eliminating a significant sound quality bottleneck in your walkman.

In my opinion, the changes are so significant that it feels like having a new model of digital audio player all together, especially if you compare to a really bad sounding card like the lexar 633x.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #44,557 of 45,723
Was today your first time switching over to the 1Z with the FM?

What can happen in audio is you get curious by a new sound. The 1A was a great example, maybe the classic example of a new sound. But the 1Z was not that interesting and I put MrWalkmans in both players early on. It’s probably the same but I took out the 1Z firmware 1A/1Z+, put in ++ then switched back to 1A/1Z+ again, and it sounds slightly better now? Probably just me? But so it would be nice to enjoy the 1Z for a change. Plus aside from one being better, each has it’s own charms which are a value in their own right. Especially with MrWalkmans firmware in both it’s pretty fantastic! Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #44,558 of 45,723
Is that right? That's great news and thank you for confirming it. And in that setup, are you able to turn "direct mode" off in the walkman, engage DSEE HX (or any other feature) and perceive the effects through the Hugo?
No. The WM1x act just like a “bit perfect” digital transport. I mean no further processing is added to the original digital stream (disabling effects, disabling volume control, etc etc)

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #44,559 of 45,723
Sep 10, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #44,560 of 45,723
I had the same experience when I switched to the Extreme Pro

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/modifying-wm1z-a.856213/post-15690492

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #44,561 of 45,723
And imagine that a (famous) tuning mod creator (deck24, the person who shared some details about tuning modding, information which was then used to bring the first tuning mods here) was saying that the "DSEE HX AI" setting is actually just a name change of the "Standard" option.

I am sometimes wondering what are tuning mod creators hearing? This is by no means an attack or something, but I just can't help wondering.
its is clear that its different from standart overall it better boost subbass... I really like it! dough i didnt know if someone was hearing the same will be awesome to have both standard and AI... it does not sound like a name change only thats for sure

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #44,562 of 45,723
Got a pair of koss porta pros from amazon for only 40€
I have them can you make a mini review of them on your 1A and if you like them? i heared them in disney some years ago and i was amazed at how they sounded i think i bought them for 27 uss if you make that mini review i may help you!!!

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #44,563 of 45,723
I have them can you make a mini review of them on your 1A and if you like them? i heared them in disney some years ago and i was amazed at how they sounded i think i bought them for 27 uss if you make that mini review i may help you!!!
When they come, yeah, first turn-in treatment

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #44,564 of 45,723
Better solution as it's not worth the cost and hasstle to deal with an agent for such a small item. Think the hard case is medium as FatBear produce differing sizes. I can always measure mine if needs be.

Q-6

That would be great but no rush! I’m actually working at home so it’s not like I need a hard case for travel but it certainly nice for dust and dirt and extra protection around the house for accident dros if you can measure it when you get a chance that would be great!

@MrWalkman I’m actually getting my NW-WM1A today. I would like to install one of your modded FW the one I’d like to try is the one that switches it to 1z but I’m still a little confused which is which between the Chameleon and the ++ version even after reading through them. I read somewhere you like the 1z one the best So which one should I install or which one do you prefer??? (Side note: Read through some of your replies from annoying FW questions. I’m Looking forward to your scolding reply :wink: haha)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #44,565 of 45,723
@MrWalkman I’m actually getting my NW-WM1A today. I would like to install one of your modded FW the one I’d like to try is the one that switches it to 1z but I’m still a little confused which is which between the Chameleon and the ++ version even after reading through them. I read somewhere you like the 1z one the best So which one should I install or which one do you prefer??? (Side note: Read through some of your replies from annoying FW questions. I’m Looking forward to your scolding reply :wink: haha)

Congrats for your WM1A!

There is a main post for the WM1 player mods, here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-2738#post-15747959

CHAMELEON is just the normal stock/official sound, with the ability to switch the models between 1A and 1Z. WM1A/Z+ and ++ both have a different sound. Feel free to read the main post for more details.

Right now I am using WM1A/Z++ on my WM1A. I did not switch the model, so the model is 1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back