SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #44,581 of 45,723
15997661869477506049402709884406.jpg

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #44,582 of 45,723
Over the past couple of nights I compared the following configurations of my WM1A:

WM1A Region J Switched to 1Z using CHAMELEON 3.02 (1.3) AKA WM1AZ
WM1A Region J Switched to 1Z using WM1AZ+ 3.02 (1.4) AKA WM1AZ+
WM1A Region J using WM1AZ+ 3.02 (1.4) AKA WM1A+

The gold standard that they were compared to was my WM1Z Region J AKA WM1Z. For all of these comparisons I used my Solaris 2020, DHC Clone Silver balanced (resolution beast) and ADV custom tips.
  • WM1AZ is very close to the WM1Z. But the WM1Z had deeper bass and a larger soundstage.
  • WM1AZ+ had a larger soundstage but the low end was very weak, anemic compare to WM1AZ or WM1Z
  • WM1A+ switching back to 1A and reloading the firmware brought the bass back that was missing in the WM1AZ+. The soundstage is much bigger and 3D than the WM1A and the WM1Z. However it's missing some of the upper bass. I would say that the details are there but it's missing some heft or depth that I know should be there. This was evident on grand piano recordings, some acoustic guitar recordings and some male singers like Jon Anderson of Yes.
So what is my preferred sound? That's hard. I love the soundstage and 3D nature of the WM1A+ but miss the warmth or upper bass depth that the WM1AZ has. I would say the WM1AZ is the more accurate or realistic sounding configuration.

I'm going to have to spend more time with the WM1A+ configuration and maybe cable roll to see if my DHC Clone Fusion can bring back the missing warmth. If that doesn't fix it I'll probably end back on WM1AZ.

Have you tried loading the WM1A with WM1AZ+ then switching to WM1Z, however do not reload the firmware? This results in the internal firmware tuning being 1Z and the external XML tuning being 1A.

Or loading the WM1A with WM1AZ+ then switching to WM1Z, reload the firmware then switch back to WM1A, however do not reload the firmware? This results in the internal firmware tuning being 1A and the external XML tuning being 1Z.

As if things weren't confusing enough, let alone adding in Chameleon & WM1AZ++ to the mix with their varying internal FW & external XML tuning LOL

For me full 1Z tuning the bass attack is slower, less aggressive than 1A, although warmer, overall feels a touch quieter, which adds up to less punch in the sound signature. I'm kind of the mind that the 1A with WM1AZ+ switched to 1Z without reloading the FW hits the mark as the bass remains to be fast & tight, yet fuller.

Q-6

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #44,583 of 45,723
Have you tried loading the WM1A with WM1AZ+ then switching to WM1Z, however do not reload the firmware? This results in the internal firmware tuning being 1Z and the external XML tuning being 1A.

Or loading the WM1A with WM1AZ+ then switching to WM1Z, reload the firmware then switch back to WM1A, however do not reload the firmware? This results in the internal firmware tuning being 1A and the external XML tuning being 1Z.

As if things weren't confusing enough, let alone adding in Chameleon & WM1AZ++ to the mix with their varying internal FW & external XML tuning LOL

For me full 1Z tuning the bass attack is slower, less aggressive than 1A, although warmer, overall feels a touch quieter, which adds up to less punch in the sound signature. I'm kind of the mind that the 1A with WM1AZ+ switched to 1Z without reloading the FW hits the mark as the bass remains to be fast & tight, yet fuller.

Q-6
When I started listening to WM1AZ+ after a hour I couldn't take it and switched it to WM1A+ without reloading. It was better but still not my cup of tea and did the firmware reinstall the next morning which helped.

Right now it's configured as WM1A+, I'll try switching it to 1Z tonight and see if that does anything.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #44,585 of 45,723
Need some help of folks who bought tourist or international version of 1a or 1z, I need to know what was the region that the 1a or 1z was set to please.

From the rockbox list we can see its the region E but is it really a tourist version ?
Both my Japan Tourist Editions are U.

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #44,586 of 45,723
Can you share your EQ ???
Of course I use very odd tuning since im not running balanced i boost sub bass a LOT and tame highs for my unexpensive balanced armatures run decent and avoid frecuencies that damage my hearing since I use high volume but low gain... I like engaging sound with very low midbass since it allows the amplifier to hit that bass harder maybe 1Z wont need this but 1A needs a heavy sub bass boost for my taste then the reversed peak at 8k keeps my hearing safe while 3.00 takes care of the awesome staging! and Mx3 unleashes full potencial of my SE but again its aquestion of IEM and output I have heard balanced and it sounds very diferent than SE so there you may want to go 3.02 J have a nice day! PD if yu have expensive iems it may sound bad... will
3522a5b1-6a4a-4a0a-8d06-6c0cdfd627b1.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #44,587 of 45,723
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #44,588 of 45,723
Welcome, mate! 👍You are lucky having arrived in the right place and right on time! :wink:
Mystic Travelker keeps amazing me when ke speaks im affraid to turn around and discover hes behind my back dressed as a future chrono-traveler saying here take this future walkman your iems are invisible and they wher implanted by me at your birth back in 83 so enjoy.. if you see some holografic *** also implanted and no you dont need to charge it so relax...

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #44,590 of 45,723
With the talk of better quality SD cards and of course internal storage being the best, would it ever be possible for an internal storage mod? Or is that level of OS access/formatting etc not possible @MrWalkman?
Could the microSD slot be perhaps replaced with a hard wired add on storage?

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #44,591 of 45,723
Of course I use very odd tuning since im not running balanced i boost sub bass a LOT and tame highs for my unexpensive balanced armatures run decent and avoid frecuencies that damage my hearing since I use high volume but low gain... I like engaging sound with very low midbass since it allows the amplifier to hit that bass harder maybe 1Z wont need this but 1A needs a heavy sub bass boost for my taste then the reversed peak at 8k keeps my hearing safe while 3.00 takes care of the awesome staging! and Mx3 unleashes full potencial of my SE but again its aquestion of IEM and output I have heard balanced and it sounds very diferent than SE so there you may want to go 3.02 J have a nice day! PD if yu have expensive iems it may sound bad... will

Omg....my eyes.

A00F60D6-25AA-48D7-8158-6C0951220CE3.png

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #44,592 of 45,723
When I started listening to WM1AZ+ after a hour I couldn't take it and switched it to WM1A+ without reloading. It was better but still not my cup of tea and did the firmware reinstall the next morning which helped.

Right now it's configured as WM1A+, I'll try switching it to 1Z tonight and see if that does anything.

It's more of a subtle differnce mixing and matching internal & external tuning. Gone back to stock Sony 3.02 and will have another go soon enough. WM1A+ I didn't feel any loss in the bass, just different staging. Want be a little more methodical this time and select a few more tracks. DAP was on WM1AZ+ for a good while with no complaints :)

Q-6

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #44,593 of 45,723
With the talk of better quality SD cards and of course internal storage being the best, would it ever be possible for an internal storage mod? Or is that level of OS access/formatting etc not possible @MrWalkman?

This would imply changing the EMMC, which also stores the firmware itself. Theoretically it could be possible, but you would require reballing, and it doesn't look like something easy to do at all.

Leaving this aside, I'm not sure how/if the OS would/could handle the new EMMC, etc.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #44,594 of 45,723

In my own microsd testing, internal storage is not the best sounding, Sandisk high endurance and Sandisk extreme pro both sounded better than my ZX507 internal storage.

Although internal storage still serves as a good baseline reference. Meaning If you find your current microsd card to sound worse than walkman’s internal storage by a lot, that means it is really time to consider changing to better microsd cards.

internal storage not being the best sounding is pointed out by @Whitigir as well.

@Sonywalkmanuser In my opinion, the Internal memory of Walkman and other players doesn’t have that superior audio quality that theoretically can be explained. At least, I try and listen to it, and I only follow my ears and what I can hear. Needless to say that it isn’t perfect.....but every time I tried. If using a good memory SD card, I can perceive better soundstage and imagines, bass performances. Yes, I know that it is directly soldered on ....etc... but still, I don’t know why it doesn’t exhibit any superiority over a good microSD

The two cards that I love a lot is the Sony Audiophile 64Gb card and the next one is the Sandisk Extreme Pro. I paid a lot for the Pro 1Tb as I think it is worth it with all the storage.
Next project is to try the 256gb you linked above and see if I like it as much as the Sony one. I don’t really think the 64Gb is worth the price though (too little to be worthy)

Regarding the internal memory and RAM or even internal NAND , itself also have noises, and errors. So errors corrections also have to be calculated in it own algorithms.
https://www.eetimes.com/address-jitter-and-noise-more-effectively-with-ddr4-part-1/
http://students.cs.tamu.edu/qingli/flashError.pdf
But since we are talking about internal and mircoSD card, it is safe to say that @ttt123 is right about how complex these things can be, and how they are being accessed by and from within the system ...etc...

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #44,595 of 45,723
This would imply changing the EMMC, which also stores the firmware itself. Theoretically it could be possible, but you would require reballing, and it doesn't look like something easy to do at all.

Leaving this aside, I'm not sure how/if the OS would/could handle the new EMMC, etc.

All these reballing is not necessary. Just try to source for a 1TB Sandisk extreme pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back