SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #44,476 of 45,723
What amplifier will you use with them?
I will use my TA to drive it first to see how it is. If this combination is not working out, then I will try to find and buy a new amp for it. :sweat_smile: Any advice?

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #44,477 of 45,723
I see. Well if it does work I stand corrected then. Never knew it did. But what’s the point in that anyway?

I also discovered it’s directional so the NWH-10 cable must be plugged into what’s the source. The regular Walkman cable needs to be connected to the 1A or whatever Walkman is acting as the DAC. For awhile I didn’t realize that it’s the direction of the cable that allows it to work. The NWH-10 must always be at the source, as with two Walkman plugs they can get plugged in in both directions.

I made a video let me know if you want to see it, PM me your Email and I will send it over. I may still post it as a YouTube video in the future. When the DAC function first came out there was a photo of someone doing it but everyone thought it was a joke. I tried at that time but luck had it that I didn’t have the direction of the cable worked out.

The results.

As we are discovering every style of card has a different sound. Some MicroSD cards sound better than others. Also we discovered that files played inside the Walkmans have a slightly different sound. It’s small but it’s there. This is why different members are finding brands of cards that may sound better. This typically sounds like audiophile nonsense, yet Sony also has released expensive audiophile microSD cards. The brand of card makes a difference. Some say different brands have different noise? Using the 1A or a 1Z as a source allows the other player to be retrieving the digital file played-back from a different digital transport. So maybe in another way it’s like using a different brand of card. The other advantage is you can use both the entire internal memory of the other player, the internal memory of the Walkman your using as well as 2 microSD cards. This configuration gives me access to around 10,000 songs. It also sounds slightly different. There is just a smidge less bass, but the soundstage is noticeably more airy and open. It’s thinner. Why? I can’t tell you but obviously the file is having to travel a ways past a number of connections. Also the player your listening to is free from transport duties.

I have full hi-res capability. So it opens many more questions. Everyone has always wanted to stream to the Walkman. Obviously if your using your computer to stream you can. But there may be other avenues where Sony Android Walkmans can stream to the 1A or 1Z? I’m thinking though that this may only work due to the old-school Walkman cable connectivity. The new Android Walkmans are mini-USB. But what about older Android Walkmans? I’m not really interested in streaming or that would be of value. It’s still fascinating how many Walkmans can connect to a Walkman and be a source?
E3EA4980-DA46-4F25-9D35-1445F0A4180F.png

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #44,478 of 45,723
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #44,479 of 45,723
Well there's nothing in my walkman that is worth tracking unless the hacker is interesting in my crappy lossy AAC music collection, he is free to take.
It's not the music files they are hacking, It's location/patterns of movement they are tracking.
Algorithms that look at your meta data, can build profiles on you that know more about you than you know about yourself.
The US government carries out Drone attacks in foreign countries based on nothing but meta data. Let that sink in for a bit....
Psychological profiles are built to the point that they can reliably predict every response you will make to any given situation.
1984 has nothing on the what governments have cooking around the world today.
And the Covid tracking programs have taken this surveillance to a whole different level....The worst is yet to come.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #44,480 of 45,723
https://www.google.co.id/amp/s/www....UX2_Yd4w2Nvq2xSwaj7-rwtO4BXyNMho3eJLPjsIMn8II

Facebook keeps a list of everything you do all the time if on Facebook or not. Lol
It's not the music files they are hacking, It's location/patterns of movement they are tracking.
Algorithms that look at your meta data, can build profiles on you that know more about you than you know about yourself.
The US government carries out Drone attacks in foreign countries based on nothing but meta data. Let that sink in for a bit....
Psychological profiles are built to the point that they can reliably predict every response you will make to any given situation.
1984 has nothing on the what governments have cooking around the world today.
And the Covid tracking programs have taken this surveillance to a whole different level....The worst is yet to come.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #44,481 of 45,723
Sony S-Master HX must then be a very balanced design/compromise (pun intended).

I remember hearing a S-master based walkman for the very first time, the NWZ-X1050 back in 2010, I was very impressed by the Walkman tonal balance. No treble harshness, good bass and it has a lot of speed in its transient delivery. However it has a lot of hiss with iems.

Fast forward to 2020 today. Almost 10years later, with the ZX507 next to me. This Walkman is still based off the same kind of Class D amplification but the technology has been improved leaps and bounds. Now I get 3D holographic Sound with even better transient delivery without any hiss. It really is amazing how much Sony manages to improve the Walkman in a span of 10years.

Yeah, I had the Z1060 and was also very impressed with it, even if it tried to be a kind of late response to iPod Touch, trying to offer gaming and other uses as selling points. My wife had an iPod Touch and the time and most people were either trying to convince me to get one of those too or to use a smart phone as an all-purpose device, including music. I wasn't into this hobby at that time. I was just a curious music lover. Did my homemade, rough-and-ready comparisons with the iPod and with some early phones. And I was definitely impressed by SQ of the Z1060 in that companion... I was coming for an A816 (which to my untrained ears at the time, sounded pretty good and was VERY convenient). These Walkman have definitely come a long way, but they have always been great devices.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #44,483 of 45,723
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #44,484 of 45,723
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #44,485 of 45,723
Now if only they had not used migraine inducing PWM on the screens (worse on Z than A) like the iPhone X - which had so many returns that crapple dumped the cheapskate dimming tech for the iP11...but thats another story.
You DON'T have to use screen at lowest setting.
The lowest brightness setting is not even practical to use in normal ambient light.
In fact my lower model A45 does not allow such a low brightness setting. It's screen is much brighter. No way higher normal brightness would be low freq enough to induce any headache.

There has never been a post of someone getting headache from the screen (before). So if you go by the 44,371 posts of it being a non-issue then on a bell-curve it makes it pretty much a non-issue? Though that doesn’t mean it’s not an issue for a select few, just not enough of a big deal to really matter in the long run. On a bell-curve most are happy with the screen character with a few unhappy and a few in-love so to speak. :)

EE9FB47B-3C58-4291-B15A-376157331B3D.jpeg
Yes primarily because no one would stare into low brightness...
:)

You don't need to stare a the screen for hours. The effect is pretty much instantaneous.

you can see plain old daytime realtime flicker at 2.50 Great Description of Screen PWM flicker and solutions
Hahahaha this is trickery!
Your Basically looking at an effect of the interaction of what a camera reproduces when pointing into another screen... I can also take any pic, at any screen and get all kinds of effects..
This is not same as actually looking into the screen.
Goes to show you how smart that girl is, haha.

Just received IBasso DX220 MAX, I'll take some time to compare it to my Sony WM1A (1Z WM1A/Z++) NP Audio Mod.
I can see the future....
Ibasso.. won't last.

I’m using a 1Z, but no......way way different in soundstage.
Ugh, now I have to compare variables with that firmware as well..
There's like 4 variables with each firmware..

But I need to make sure Sony 1A/1Z can and will remain unconnected and unattached to the location co-ordinates at all times
Haha sounds like someone on the run..
One can discard a dozen phones a year while on the run
You gotta step back and look at your life, when you need to do so much, and basically stay off the grid...
Maybe what your doing is not worth the stress.

I am just bringing this here as a comment, and pure speculation, but some people think that there are things going on at micro-electronic levels when bits are written and later read into / from the internal circuitry of a memory chip an that they impact the performance of digital operations - i.e. digital players
This is where allot of people get mixed up, so this is how I see it:
The data which is stored, is not lossy. It is checked and recorded in whatever medium.
BUT...
What people don't realize, the that when playing, in real time, it is a different scenario.
The circuits everywhere will impose their signature.
Even the memory cards have circuits...

Looking at it this way, I will use an analogy...

Look at a music sheet with music written on it...
It is stored on paper and unchanging..

Then, a player (musician) start to read it and plays.

Different players with interpret this data with thier own timing and style, regardless how exact they try to play the musical score.

This is what is happening in all digital world.
Only in a "non-live or non-streaming" senario would we be assured in getting the accurate checked data (in general)...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #44,486 of 45,723
Same thing I felt about static audio measurements. It's a steady state capture of audio signal at that specific point. It does not capture the real time flow of waveform. It's like judging a ballerina dance performance based on a photoshoot instead of a full video.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #44,487 of 45,723
You DON'T have to use screen at lowest setting.
The lowest brightness setting is not even practical to use in normal ambient light.
In fact my lower model A45 does not allow such a low brightness setting. It's screen is much brighter. No way higher normal brightness would be low freq enough to induce any headache.

Yes primarily because no one would stare into low brightness...

Hahahaha this is trickery!
Your Basically looking at an effect of the interaction of what a camera reproduces when pointing into another screen... I can also take any pic, at any screen and get all kinds of effects..
This is not same as actually looking into the screen.
Goes to show you how smart that girl is, haha.

I can see the future....
Ibasso.. won't last.

Ugh, now I have to compare variables with that firmware as well..
There's like 4 variables with each firmware..

Haha sounds like someone on the run..

You gotta step back and look at your life, when you need to do so much, and basically stay off the grid...
Maybe what your doing is not worth the stress.

This is where allot of people get mixed up, so this is how I see it:
The data which is stored, is not lossy. It is checked and recorded in whatever medium.
BUT...
What people don't realize, the that when playing, in real time, it is a different scenario.
The circuits everywhere will impose their signature.
Even the memory cards have circuits...

Looking at it this way, I will use an analogy...

Look at a music sheet with music written on it...
It is stored on paper and unchanging..

Then, a player (musician) start to read it and plays.

Different players with interpret this data with thier own timing and style, regardless how exact they try to play the musical score.

This is what is happening in all digital world.
Only in a "non-live or non-streaming" senario would we be assured in getting the accurate checked data (in general)...

Yes, the variables would be 1A/1Z+ on 1A

1A/1Z+ on 1Z
1A/1Z++ on 1A
1A/1Z++ on 1Z

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #44,488 of 45,723
Yes, the variables would be 1A/1Z+ on 1A

1A/1Z+ on 1Z
1A/1Z++ on 1A
1A/1Z++ on 1Z
Don’t forget chameleon. That had a nice original tone to it too. The most mellow and uncoloured sounding of the bunch. Pleasant and smooth.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #44,489 of 45,723
Don’t forget chameleon. That had a nice original tone to it too. The most mellow and uncoloured sounding of the bunch. Pleasant and smooth.
That’s right, forgot about that. And the regional changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back