SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #44,146 of 45,723
Well, signatures are not visible on smartphone browsers :)
You can view the signature if you switch your phone to horizontal position. Doesn’t show in portrait mode.

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #44,147 of 45,723
The WM1 series Walkman uses a physical magnetic switch to cut off power to the headphones when the headphones are inserted or when the music format changes which requires a reset/re-routing of the amp circuitry (such as when a 44.1khz file is followed up by a 96khz file which requires switching the femo oscillator from the 44.1khz one to the 48khz one) as a protection mechanism, the loud clicking sound is when that switch engages/disengages. This is a unique design to the WM1 Walkman, as most DAPs just uses an electronic switch that are noiseless, simpler to implement, and smaller in size, but instead introduces EMI interference to the sound circuitry. The Sony engineers decided to use a magnetic switch which won't introduce EMI into the chain, but are physically bigger and takes up more space, and also making that sound.

If you hear the click, that means the magnetic switch is doing its job in protecting your headphone and ears. Only worry when you STOP hearing that click!

Without the relays there is nice soft fade in or out of sound. Also the relays are only on balanced out.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #44,148 of 45,723
The update is here.

Changes:

- the player will now load progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers
All album covers should now show up fine. No more conversions of progressive JPEGs to
baseline JPEGs, or of interlaced PNGs to non interlaced PNGs.
Thanks to @Vrilly for the tip!

- no more just waiting for the player to turn on with nothing on the screen, when the battery is empty
When trying to turn on the player while the battery is empty, we'll now see a battery empty
image instead of nothing. Also, when charging the player while the battery is empty, we'll now
see a charging battery image instead of nothing. Once there will be enough battery, the player
will start up automatically, like before.
This change is not reversible by installing the stock firmware!

Link to firmware in the main post: CLICK

I will also modify normal stock firmwares to have the ability to show all images like the mods, and they will be released later today or tomorrow.
What an achievement! Thanks for the great work again!

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #44,149 of 45,723
@ MrWalkman :

I would like to know if you are able to make new changes in a future firmware?

1) I'd like to know if you could display the time at the top of the screen.
2) Another thing, is it possible that the Sony supports the .cue file?
3) Finally, the random mode can be improved. We break the mode if we select a song for example. Cowon for example has a top random mode. Thank you for your answer

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #44,150 of 45,723
The update is here.

1599049312963.png

Changes:

- the player will now load progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers
All album covers should now show up fine. No more conversions of progressive JPEGs to
baseline JPEGs, or of interlaced PNGs to non interlaced PNGs.
Thanks to @Vrilly for the tip!

- no more just waiting for the player to turn on with nothing on the screen, when the battery is empty
When trying to turn on the player while the battery is empty, we'll now see a battery empty
image instead of nothing. Also, when charging the player while the battery is empty, we'll now
see a charging battery image instead of nothing. Once there will be enough battery, the player
will start up automatically, like before.
This change is not reversible by installing the stock firmware!

img-03.png img-04.png

Link to firmware in the main post: CLICK

I will also modify normal stock firmwares to have the ability to show all images like the mods, and they will be released later today or tomorrow.
Well done - this might be a bigger achievement than you think.
It is a convenience for 1A/1Z owners that have put off fixing their album art, but following the threads of the various Sony daps I've owned over the years I have read posts where the album art issue has been the deciding factor in them choosing another dap - Sony should buy you a beer.

Since you can work magic, something I find annoying is after a restart it doesn't allow you to back out of the last played track into the album, it goes back to the main screen. Would this be something that could be changed or is it to do with some memory limitation?

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #44,153 of 45,723
Since you can work magic, something I find annoying is after a restart it doesn't allow you to back out of the last played track into the album, it goes back to the main screen. Would this be something that could be changed or is it to do with some memory limitation?
Don't switch it off. It's useless on WM1...

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #44,154 of 45,723
@ MrWalkman :

I would like to know if you are able to make new changes in a future firmware?

1) I'd like to know if you could display the time at the top of the screen.
2) Another thing, is it possible that the Sony supports the .cue file?
3) Finally, the random mode can be improved. We break the mode if we select a song for example. Cowon for example has a top random mode. Thank you for your answer

I was reading that it supports cue files, hmm.

Anyways, I experimented a bit with trying to change UI stuff, and it seems that it didn't work. So no UI changes for now, unfortunately... I can change images though, and I will make the Walkman logo on power off orange as well.

Also, we can't really change functions of the app right now. I would have tried doing a lot more if we could.

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #44,155 of 45,723
Don't switch it off. It's useless on WM1...
I have it set to 24 hours auto off as sometimes I don't have time to listen to it for a couple of days - standby seems to still deplete the battery so I let it power off.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #44,156 of 45,723
I have it set to 24 hours auto off as sometimes I don't have time to listen to it for a couple of days - standby seems to still deplete the battery so I let it power off.
It depletes when it’s off as well. Doesn’t matter. Sony has stated this in their instructions

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #44,157 of 45,723

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #44,158 of 45,723
It's either you like it or dislike. There is no in between. :)

Wider soundstage lol

I play all my music collection (>15k tracks) DSD, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, WMA, MP3 from DNLA server via Auralic network music player to home audio.

I think bro. @nc8000 having Auralic too :)

https://us.auralic.com/
You still use WMA (windows media)? MP3 okay accept it, but WMA? seems to be going.extinct these days, havent come across a DAP that support WMA these days

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #44,159 of 45,723
I can't find again the link for European customers to mod the WM1A .. I am not sure I want to change anything other than the battery size if possible.

Actually, because of MrWalkman custom firmware :grin: I activate some parameters like DSEE-HX-AI & Type-B-Low phase which are now "on" 100% of the time => I can never use my WM1A more than 9 to 10 hours.
I don't think the sound does need some improvement with the headphone or earbuds I use, but battery life is a real issue now.. It would be nice to reach 12 to 15 hours continuous playing time again.
Has somebody suck link in memory? I think it was in England.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #44,160 of 45,723
I can't find again the link for European customers to mod the WM1A .. I am not sure I want to change anything other than the battery size if possible.

Actually, because of MrWalkman custom firmware :grin: I activate some parameters like DSEE-HX-AI & Type-B-Low phase which are now "on" 100% of the time => I can never use my WM1A more than 9 to 10 hours.
I don't think the sound does need some improvement with the headphone or earbuds I use, but battery life is a real issue now.. It would be nice to reach 12 to 15 hours continuous playing time again.
Has somebody suck link in memory? I think it was in England.
Thanks in advance
@Nayparm who’s based in the UK does the bigger battery change You can contact him directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back