SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #41,416 of 45,723
Just to clarify, for us WM1Z users, I just have to install the WM1AZ+ firmware, and good to go? I just ran the WM1AZ+[DSEEAI] tool and once it completes I just start listening?

No need to go into the Model Device Switcher and re-installing the WM1AZ+ right?

Thanks a lot!
Correct

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #41,417 of 45,723
Just to clarify, for us WM1Z users, I just have to install the WM1AZ+ firmware, and good to go? I just ran the WM1AZ+[DSEEAI] tool and once it completes I just start listening?

No need to go into the Model Device Switcher and re-installing the WM1AZ+ right?

Thanks a lot!

Yes that’s correct. Just install it and go.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #41,418 of 45,723
I still preferr the 1a+ sound on my 1z...

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #41,419 of 45,723
I still preferr the 1a+ sound on my 1z...
Hi, oh by this you mean, I should install WM1AZ+ firmware, then switch via Switch Device Model to the 1a, and then re-install the WM1AZ+? (for us 1Z users).

If I understood the steps correctly, I could give this a try too, doesnt hurt!

Also had another question! I only recently started dabbing with direct mode "off". I want to look for the hardest hitting and deepest bass settings WITHOUT using the equalizer. I am currently using DSEE HX AI, Type A LOW, Arm Resonance settings. EQ settings off and Dynamic Normalizer off. Is this what you guys would use if looking for the most impactful bass and deep bass reproduction?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #41,420 of 45,723
Hi, oh by this you mean, I should install WM1AZ+ firmware, then switch via Switch Device Model to the 1a, and then re-install the WM1AZ+? (for us 1Z users).

Yep, you got the steps correctly.

I never mentioned that you have to use DC Phase Linearizer or even DSEE HX AI in order to get impactful bass. It may help, but feel free to experiment yourself and find the right combination for you.

Until DSEE HX AI I just used Direct Source all the time.

With this post, I would like to advise everyone trying the mods to please follow the indications in the main post, top to bottom! There is a link to the main post in my signature (WM1 Mods).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15747959

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #41,422 of 45,723

Also had another question! I only recently started dabbing with direct mode "off". I want to look for the hardest hitting and deepest bass settings WITHOUT using the equalizer. I am currently using DSEE HX AI, Type A LOW, Arm Resonance settings. EQ settings off and Dynamic Normalizer off. Is this what you guys would use if looking for the most impactful bass and deep bass reproduction?

Thanks!!

The cleanest way to add bass would be via tones eq in 1z and not the eq bars...
Its actually pretty equivalent but with tone control much easier and better I find all other enhancements off

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #41,423 of 45,723
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #41,426 of 45,723
Is it possible to change region when using WM1AZ+? If so, would the region affect the sound as it happens with the official FW?

It should but I am on J and didn't have any desire to change it yet

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #41,427 of 45,723
Is it possible to change region when using WM1AZ+? If so, would the region affect the sound as it happens with the official FW?

Yes, you can change regions, and that should theoretically work the same in terms of changing the sound. Can't see any reasons why it would not, if I'm thinking of how it works right now (can't go into details about that though).

It should but I am on J and didn't have any desire to change it yet

Same, didn't feel the need to try that or tuning mods.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #41,429 of 45,723
I know I loved solis 3.0.2 a lot it was a quality resolution fw with overall a great balanced sound.

But new fw is on a new layer of balance in frequency. It mains the fun factors in music with a nice more firmer bass and amazing treble response.
The treble is the super star of the show and bass as its assistant 🙂

New fw offers better imaging and instruments positioning. Everything just sounds wow and super addictive!

@Ravenous
I am happy to see someone felt the little change as my self to I felt there is something improved with my new method. I feel the treble is ultra refined and cleansed. It also feels a little more detailed and more precise imaging...

The change is very minimal and super subtle but for someone sensitive in that area he will definitely feel it!!!

Pay close attention I say feel and not hear!

Yes, that is the whole thing going on here. I like how you explain it. The older firmware like Solis used tweaks and maybe tunes that were supposed to be borrowed from the DMP-Z1 to the add enhancements. And while these early firmware mods were great, now we are at a deeper and much clearer base level. We are closer to the true character as the music is relayed in a transparent highly detailed way. It’s the perfect example of better natural information (even if enhanced or extrapolated by technology) being better than what ever was the choice before.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #41,430 of 45,723
Oh no!

49230EC5-A18E-4DD7-93D7-270FB430B95C.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back