SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #41,446 of 45,723
Yeah, mastering is more important!

It annoys me when I see people on a very good sounding Youtube video of a vinyl record, and they say "vinyl is better than a CD".

Actually, CD quality or even less can be very good. I mean, you're listening to that "best-than-CD vinyl" on Youtube, which is the equivalent of an 192-256 kbps AAC file, if I'm not mistaken, and it sounds that good.
I have heard some very good CDs, but they still can't compare to a Hi-res version (greater than 16/44.1) or vinyl rips @ 24/96.

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #41,447 of 45,723
Out of curiosity, how does the WM1A (with WM1A+) sound on the IER-Z1R? I was considering these earphones as my "endgame" earphones and have been saving up for them.

But the 1A and the 1A/Z+ and 1Z Switcher just add to the soundstage and accuracy of the IER-Z1R. Everything sounds natural but very very huge, it must be the biggest soundstage I’ve ever heard? The IER also has the ability to make EDM and Electro super satisfying and correct. They are the best EDM IEMs I’ve ever heard ever.

They do great for classic rock and ost playback too. Just so much fun, they almost seem like they should be illegal or something?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #41,448 of 45,723
Welp, these showed up in the mail yesterday. I was able to get them under 100,000 yen and having a 6 month warranty included is just the cherry on top. It will be nice to listen to my 1Z with these cans. It’s my first time experience to own some open back headphones.

2662B00A-205C-40A2-8C06-B4065E310CD6.jpeg

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #41,449 of 45,723
Welp, these showed up in the mail yesterday. I was able to get them under 100,000 yen and having a 6 month warranty included is just the cherry on top. It will be nice to listen to my 1Z with these cans. It’s my first time experience to own some open back headphones.

I was looking at your signature, you're definitely a hardcore Sony fanboy. I approve :dt880smile:

I also have wireless Sony iem WF 1000XM3; it sounds really good considering its only sbc connection

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #41,450 of 45,723
@MrWalkman i just cannot describe what you have done with this new firmware mod...
I´ve bought my WM1A in 2016, it has been 4 years, and these new fw just brought a new "life" into this player...
Spent the afternoon listening with the 1z+ and its just unreal....mp3´s sound like heaven....vynil rips sound like heaven....everything sounds like heaven...the soundstage sounds like heaven....the 3D image you get from music sounds like heaven.....did we all just died and are in @MrWalkman heaven???
What kind of sorcery is this?!?!?!?!?

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #41,451 of 45,723
@MrWalkman i just cannot describe what you have done with this new firmware mod...
I´ve bought my WM1A in 2016, it has been 4 years, and these new fw just brought a new "life" into this player...
Spent the afternoon listening with the 1z+ and its just unreal....mp3´s sound like heaven....vynil rips sound like heaven....everything sounds like heaven...the soundstage sounds like heaven....the 3D image you get from music sounds like heaven.....did we all just died and are in @MrWalkman heaven???
What kind of sorcery is this?!?!?!?!?

Its funny that me spending the last 2 years with my 1z I am more attracted by the 1a+ on 1z hehe while 1a owners want to see the 1z side of things 🙃🙃🙃😋😛

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #41,452 of 45,723
Its funny that me spending the last 2 years with my 1z I am more attracted by the 1a+ on 1z hehe while 1a owners want to see the 1z side of things 🙃🙃🙃😋😛
I´ve followed your suggestion when we were testing the new fw, but yesterday i´ve decided to follow the Wizard of Wm1 FW and go with the 1z+ and it´s just another level of awesomeness!!!!!! I´m addicted to Music, i spent more than 14h per day listening to music, and only use the wm1a when i´m not at home, and with this new firmware you just loose yourself in the music! It´s surreal, unreal, magical, and i cannot use any other adjectives to express the JOY!!!!

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #41,453 of 45,723
I´ve followed your suggestion when we were testing the new fw, but yesterday i´ve decided to follow the Wizard of Wm1 FW and go with the 1z+ and it´s just another level of awesomeness!!!!!! I´m addicted to Music, i spent more than 14h per day listening to music, and only use the wm1a when i´m not at home, and with this new firmware you just loose yourself in the music! It´s surreal, unreal, magical, and i cannot use any other adjectives to express the JOY!!!!
That's the magic of 1Z+!!!

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #41,454 of 45,723
I'm listening on 1Z+ using DSEEHX AI, MP3/CD scale On, Phase Linearizer: Type A high, dynamic normalizer off, Vinyl processor: Arm Resonance, Tone Control: 0:0:0

I think DSEEHX AI works very well. Per Mr. Walkman graphs, it add high frequencies that are missing in lower format. MP3 sounds alive, it sounds closer to live performance, I can hear the breath of the singers when they breath in and out, for lack of better word. It brings more positively impact although different compared to Direct: On. It just click right. Maybe its new toy syndrome, but I think it works as advertised. Need confirmation from others regarding if this is just a gimmick or its the real deal.

Edit: For fun, pull out your old iems, earbuds, headphones that you haven't touch and try listening again using 1A+/1Z+, many will be greatly and positively surprised. The lesson here I think is there is actually not that much differences between iems after they reach a certain threshold if you use 1A/1Z as Dap, you'll enjoy listening to you music either way, and don't sell your least fav iems/headphones too early, you may regret it and have to buy it back :smile:

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #41,455 of 45,723

Yes yes! Very addictive I was often saying this! In my observation I see many reconfirm this as it is hard to not get in love with this new sound!

I'm listening on 1Z+ using DSEEHX AI, MP3/CD scale On, Phase Linearizer: Type A high, dynamic normalizer off, Vinyl processor: Arm Resonance, Tone Control: 0:0:0

I think DSEEHX AI works very well. Per Mr. Walkman graphs, it add high frequencies that are missing in lower format. MP3 sounds alive, it sounds closer to live performance, I can hear the breath of the singers when they breath in and out, for lack of better word. It brings more positively impact although different compared to Direct: On. It just click right. Maybe its new toy syndrome, but I think it works as advertised. Need confirmation from others regarding if this is just a gimmick or its the real deal.

Remember its still artificial and Mr.Tiger Ears is against unatural and artificial sounds! It is my philosophy 🙂🙂🙃🙃😇

I only want real and organic sound! So be it mp3 or cd low quality or higher resolution files. You listen to what music is offering you! That is the true love!
Anything artificially added is all unatural and results in unrealistic unpleasant feel!

That is why I went moding my romi/1z to get that extremely organical feel!
Stock 1z is there but the BG caps is nuts! Specially with the bass and new 1a+ sound making it like a Huge Mega Hallelujah, wow how can this sound so good!

The reason why I am so highly after the new 1a+ on 1a. Its because it gives you all the benefits of what 1z is but with even a higher grade of naturalness to a point you seem to hear music like you would without any headphones! Its literally life like and so so natural and real! Closest sound to naturalist and purists!

With my Tia Noir I can feel an intensely natural and light sound out of 1a it impresses me so much. Feels light precise quick natural realistic.

1z is much more warmer and adds a layer of thickness to the sound with much biger wider and stretcher bass decay. For that I prefer 1a as its really realistic 1z is super duper fun but I like the side of the natural sound!

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #41,456 of 45,723
I am having an extremely hard time deciding what dap I love more!
My romi/1z or new 1a+
Its so hard to decide because both have something special! 1a is like clean and more realistic. Closer to the real life like sound.
While romi being a 1z has some warmth but offers such crazy bass responses that 1a cannot replicate!
Romi is less warm then stock 1z and also offers a very natural realistic sound presentation but with more warmy side then 1a+

But romi and 1a+ fighting 1 on 1 side by side for already few days ! This a serious battle of the Titans! And there is of course going to be only 1a king and leader to stand the throne!

But I Cant Decide yet WHOOO!

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #41,457 of 45,723
I am having an extremely hard time deciding what dap I love more!
My romi/1z or new 1a+
Its so hard to decide because both have something special! 1a is like clean and more realistic. Closer to the real life like sound.
While romi being a 1z has some warmth but offers such crazy bass responses that 1a cannot replicate!
Romi is less warm then stock 1z and also offers a very natural realistic sound presentation but with more warmy side then 1a+

But romi and 1a+ fighting 1 on 1 side by side for already few days ! This a serious battle of the Titans! And there is of course going to be only 1a king and leader to stand the throne!

But I Cant Decide yet WHOOO!
How about you get another Tia Noir and listen 1A on your left ear and 1Z on your right ear? Eargasm there! Hehehe

Or you could do the unprecedented; get another pair of Tiger Ears; use 2 pairs of Ears to reach Music Heaven! :o2smile: :dt880smile:

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #41,458 of 45,723
How about you get another Tia Noir and listen 1A on your left ear and 1Z on your right ear? Eargasm there! Hehehe

Or you could do the unprecedented; get another pair of Tiger Ears; use 2 pairs of Ears to reach Music Heaven! :o2smile: :dt880smile:

DUDE I can do that already 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Just need another cable !!! No need to have 4 tia noir 😛😛😛🤑🤑🤑

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #41,459 of 45,723
Here’s a little something to read on DSEE HX AI.

More about DSEE HX AI

Since 2018, DSEE HX AI, now with variants: DSEE Extreme (AI for 192kHz for wireless headphones) and DSEE Ultimate (AI for both 32 bit and 192kHz first used in Xperia 1 Mk2) has improved upon the old DSEE HX a lot. DSEE HX AI is like those software algorithms that can convert black and white photos/films into Color photos/films but works on audio data instead. It's really almost like a very experienced sound engineer is remastering your music collection in real time.

What Sony has done is they ran simulation models of what is lost during the conversion from their studio master DSD/DXD files and the end result consumer PCM / AAC format that we usually listen to. Then they came out with this DSEE HX algorithm that can restore the audio back to near studio master quality. It can deliver a sound closest to what you experience when you attend a concert in real life.

The old DSEE HX achieves smoothing only.

DSEE HX AI Effect has two parts:

One is the soundstage part which adds a natural sounding soundstage height feel to your songs that has recorded soundstage information to begin with. It doesn't seem to add any additional soundstage to songs that are electronically synthesized(eurodance music).

The other part is the transient attack and smoothing part. Vocals sound smoother and Transient sound e.g. Cymbals, sounds more immediate and drums sound more impactful.

And this is how I find the DSEE HX effect varies with file resolution:

Soundstage height improvement shows up in all lossy, normal 16bit resolution and high resolution music. DSEE HX will alter how the soundstage sounds for as long as the original music content has some form of soundstage info.

As for the smoother vocals and transient attack. With higher resolution files, DSEE HX doesn't seem to add much of a noticable difference as the music is already smooth and dynamic to begin with. As for normal 16bit resolution and lossy files, that's where DSEE HX effect has the most noticeable improvement to the sound.

Edit: For fun, pull out your old iems, earbuds, headphones that you haven't touch and try listening again using 1A+/1Z+, many will be greatly and positively surprised. The lesson here I think is there is actually not that much differences between iems after they reach a certain threshold if you use 1A/1Z as Dap, you'll enjoy listening to you music either way, and don't sell your least fav iems/headphones too early, you may regret it and have to buy it back :smile:

I happen to have an AAC 96kbps song, from a Coldplay EP (Easy to Please is the name of the song), and with DSEE AI it indeed sounds more alive, and not just another low resolution song. The sound opens up!

Turning it off and on during the song confirmed it.

I really recommend giving it an unbiased try.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #41,460 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017 wm1a user here , switched from 1z+ to 1a+ but without running the FW and yeah the sound is awesome

plus , i have had my wm1a for 3 years , and i have never heard the bass slam like it is now :xf_cool:

s l a m wham bam thank you ma'am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back