SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #41,461 of 45,723
I think I am getting closer and closer with my favorite dap!

To me feels like 1a+ is the best all arounder. Sounds good with pretty much anything!

1z stock on 1a+ is somewhat oriented to sound best with edm music. Maybe because of the warmer and bassier nature.

Romi/1z is a more audiophile music master. It has a warmish natural feel to the music with a delicate vibranr touch to the bass. Also very holographic as all 3 daps.

I will give a few more days but I think by the end of this week I will post my daps for sale. If any one interested you can start pm me 🙃🙂

There will be 2 x 1a stock 1x 1z stock and 1 x romi/1z

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #41,462 of 45,723

To me feels like 1a+ is the best all arounder. Sounds good with pretty much anything!

1z stock on 1a+ is somewhat oriented to sound best with edm music. Maybe because of the warmer and bassier nature.

Romi/1z is a more audiophile music master. It has a warmish natural feel to the music with a delicate vibranr touch to the bass. Also very holographic as all 3 daps.

I will give a few more days but I think by the end of this week I will post my daps for sale. If any one interested you can start pm me 🙃🙂

Anyone looking for a used 1Z let me know?

9470720A-81C1-44A2-AA9D-D79F46B250E3.jpeg

Joking.....I’m joking. :)

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #41,463 of 45,723
Anyone looking for a used 1Z let me know?

9470720A-81C1-44A2-AA9D-D79F46B250E3.jpeg

Joking.....I’m joking. :)

NOOO WAY 🙃🙂

Didn't you tell me lock it UP in the safe and lose the keys 🤣🤣😅

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #41,464 of 45,723
Jul 22, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #41,465 of 45,723
From my experience, solis was too revealing and harsh. It was very analytical in nature and very unforgiving of older recordings. In contrast, this is smooth and analogue yet fluid and very detailed.
hahahaha.

No wonder the price of 1Z is keep dropping. Good time to invest one if you don't.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #41,466 of 45,723

You might regret it later, selling the Toni 1z?

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #41,467 of 45,723
Nice work @MrWalkman

Subjectively, WM1AZ+ (3.02) [DSEE AI] worked well with my acoustic, slow pace music. It was enjoyable. On more complex songs however, I thought the DAP lost its fluidity and as a result, the presentation wasn't as effortless as with official 3.02. Also, I noticed a sort of "compressed", "space-less" sound, which I thought it was similar to the way I feel and perceive sounds when I am in an airplane taking off and my ears get congested. I know this is weird but please keep in mind these are subjective statements.

I also gave DSEE HX AI a try. It was hit or miss.
All in all, it is amazing how far these mods have come. Please keep the good work :beerchug:

Note: I would love a switching tool in the settings to flip between the different tunings of the official firmwares.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #41,468 of 45,723
Thanks for the feedback!

Note: I would love a switching tool in the settings to flip between the different tunings of the official firmwares.

That is not really possible at the moment, as nobody knows how those tunings work yet. But hopefully we'll find out.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #41,470 of 45,723
Just try the DSEE AI function on both mod FWs and I prefer 1A to 1Z more for type of genres I do normally listen. This new AI function is actually really good. I like it because it makes everything sound more natural. If bass are not as boomy and slightly less aggressive on high then this would be a solid FW to recomend.

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #41,471 of 45,723
Just try the DSEE AI function on both mod FWs and I prefer 1A to 1Z more for type of genres I do normally listen. This new AI function is actually really good. I like it because it makes everything sound more natural. If bass are not as boomy and slightly less aggressive on high then this would be a solid FW to recomend.

The DSEE AI function is also added to the WM1A to 1Z mod, which only enables switching the model, while the sound is the stock 1A or 1Z sound. You might want to give it a try with the stock sound as well, otherwise :)

And you can also have tunings on top of that mod.

Edit: you actually mentioned you tried it on both mods, my fault. I guess that by boomy and aggressive on highs, you were talking about WM1A/Z+, and not about WM1A to 1Z.

Also, the boomy and highs aggressiveness should really depend on your gear, as with Shure SE846 or with Sony Z7M2 it really just sounds so nice. It's really like a veil has been lifted of the sound.

You might wanna try different regions, it might help.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #41,472 of 45,723
Listening to “put my heart on the line” by Elkie Brooks, the difference between HX AI being on or not is staggering (the most difference I’ve heard up to this point) - switching off direct sound is to me like having a naughty cigarette...

I don’t want to like it (from a purist perceptive), but switching on HX AI makes the music sound more... “there” - it sounds quite thin and distant without.

Just maybe it’s time for me to go buy a pack of smokes!

edit: a large proportion of my listening is via YouTube on my Samsung TV (SBC connection), I think this is the best place for AI - does the trick nicely!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #41,473 of 45,723
You might regret it later, selling the Toni 1z?

It depends. I might for ever have the thought of it my mind but I ussualy at end go by what suits me best in terms of usability and all arounder best match...

1a and romi and 1z are 3 different sound signature they are all different from each to another. And it will be what you prefer at end

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #41,475 of 45,723
Just tried some regions in combo with wm1a/Z1+,including MX3,J,and CN.
I always liked CN for his monster resolution,but the low frequencies were missing and the soundstage wasn't holographic...but now with this combo It sound awesome;someone tried CN region with wm1a/z+?i would like to hear your impressions :)
P.s i digitalized my Nightwish-decades vinyl,and i neve heard my recorded album in high quality like this...thanks to DSEE AI....ok,i felt an huge improvement with 16/44.1,but the real improvement i felt with my AIFF. files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back