SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #41,386 of 45,723
Is there anyway to get the 1Z to play TIDAL?

Only as usb dac or as BT receiver as it has no wifi hw build in and no way to install apps

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #41,387 of 45,723
Only as usb dac or as BT receiver as it has no wifi hw build in and no way to install apps
At least, there is full fMAQ decoder included in the WM1A/Z firmware working fine for a destructive compressed format.
So as UBS DAC, it's quite nice to be able to apply some EQ to MAQ files to adapt the sound to your headphones.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #41,388 of 45,723
At least, there is full fMAQ decoder included in the WM1A/Z firmware working fine for a destructive compressed format.
So as UBS DAC, it's quite nice to be able to apply some EQ to MAQ files to adapt the sound to your headphones.

I think I tested it, and the MQA decoder doesn't work via USB DAC. Maybe in the next official firmware update?

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #41,389 of 45,723
I think I tested it, and the MQA decoder doesn't work via USB DAC. Maybe in the next official firmware update?

As I use only Qobuz, but I could test various MQA flac files...
Sorry for my wrong extrapolation, I didn't know that USB dac won't convert MQA stream.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #41,390 of 45,723
As I use only Qobuz, but I could test various MAQ flac files...
Sorry for my wrong extrapolation, I didn't know that USB dac won't convert MAQ stream.

No worries.

I use Tidal, which has MQA. As long as it's used only for streaming, and no one will force us to buy MQA files or something, I am ok with it.

Because MQA files are smaller than normal high-res files, MQA is good for streaming audio higher-than-CD quality.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #41,391 of 45,723
I support that! You should absolutely try wm1a/z+ on your wm1z switched to 1a !!! I am sure you will love it!
How would you compare it with Solis (on stock WM1Z) ?

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #41,392 of 45,723
How would you compare it with Solis (on stock WM1Z) ?
From my experience, solis was too revealing and harsh. It was very analytical in nature and very unforgiving of older recordings. In contrast, this is smooth and analogue yet fluid and very detailed.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #41,393 of 45,723
I have a Romi modded 1A and a stock 1Z, both with WM1A/Z+ so I am having 2 keys to heaven. :gs1000smile:

If you would have to let one of those two keys go, hypothetically speaking of course, which one would you keep and why?

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #41,394 of 45,723
If you would have to let one of those two keys go, hypothetically speaking of course, which one would you keep and why?
For me the improvement on my stock 1Z is even more significant. My 1A is intensively modified so the sound quality might be different with the stock one such that the additional leap with 1A+ is not as prominent. My 1Z+ is almost perfect now with organic, analogue, high resolution, smooth presentation with good extension of low and high. The sound is indeed quite different between the two while the modded 1A is more exciting but a bit bright for some tracks of music.

If I have to pick one to keep, I shall give my vote to my stock 1Z.

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #41,395 of 45,723
For me the improvement on my stock 1Z is even more significant. My 1A is intensively modified so the sound quality might be different with the stock one such that the additional leap with 1A+ is not as prominent. My 1Z+ is almost perfect now with organic, analogue, high resolution, smooth presentation with good extension of low and high. The sound is indeed quite different between the two while the modded 1A is more exciting but a bit bright for some tracks of music.

If I have to pick one to keep, I shall give my vote to my stock 1Z.
When you say "My 1Z+" = WM1A/Z+ applied to stock WM1Z, or with added switching to WM1A ?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #41,396 of 45,723
When you say "My 1Z+" = WM1A/Z+ applied to stock WM1Z, or with added switching to WM1A ?
It is stock 1Z with WM1A/Z+ applied without model switching.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #41,397 of 45,723
There has been an update, which brings the DSEE HX AI function to both WM1A/Z+ and WM1A to 1Z mods.

The DSEE HX AI function replaces the "Standard" option from the DSEE HX effect type menu. This function is
present in devices like the NW-A55, or the DMP-Z1.

Official description:
1595329888745.png

DSEE HX (AI, or not) works only for CD quality audio, or lower. DSEE HX will not have an effect for audio with
a sampling frequency over 44.1kHz or 48kHz, like "24 bit/96kHz".

DSEE HX (both AI or the other options) also works with the Bluetooth receiver or the USB DAC functions.

You can "see" the function in action by switching the visualizer to "Spectrum Analyzer", and monitoring the "HIGH"
spectrum of the sound.

There are also some improvements to the integrated switcher, and all the languages were updated to reflect the
DSEE HX AI function replacing the "Standard" option of the DSEE HX effect type menu, as well as the "Switch Device
Model" replacing the "Factory Reset" function.

Do I need to first switch back to stock before installing this?
No. Like always, this works like any other firmware update. Just install it and that's it.

Link to firmware in the main post: CLICK

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #41,398 of 45,723
There has been an update, which brings the DSEE HX AI function to both WM1A/Z+ and WM1A to 1Z mods.

The DSEE HX AI function replaces the "Standard" option from the DSEE HX effect type menu. This function is

Official description:
1595329888745.png

DSEE HX (AI, or not) works only for CD quality audio or lower. For example, DSEE HX will not have an effect for
audio with a sampling frequency over 44.1kHz or 48kHz, like "24 bit/96kHz".

You can "see" the function in action by switching the visualizer to "Spectrum Analyzer", and monitoring the "HIGH"
spectrum of the sound.

There are also some improvements to the integrated switcher, and all the languages were updated to reflect the
DSEE HX AI function replacing the "Standard" option of the DSEE HX effect type menu, as well as the "Switch Device

No. Like always, this works like any other firmware update. Just install it and that's it.

LINK

Main post link

Enjoy!
Dang, dude. The stuff of gold! I seriously need to download this! @Redcarmoose , still want to give this a shot!

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #41,399 of 45,723

Official description:
1595329888745.png

DSEE HX (AI, or not) works only for CD quality audio, or lower. DSEE HX will not have an effect for audio with
a sampling frequency over 44.1kHz or 48kHz, like "24 bit/96kHz".

spectrum of the sound.

LINK

Main post link

Enjoy!
I have an ALAC 88.2/24 file playing but the high indicator is still moving? Is it not supposed to move when it’s not in action?

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #41,400 of 45,723
I have an ALAC 88.2/24 file playing but the high indicator is still moving? Is it not supposed to move when it’s not in action?

Activity in the HIGH spectrum means high frequencies in the song. As the song is already at 88.2kHz sample rate, it has high frequencies, so you should see activity in that spectrum, yes.

That spectrum is not only for DSEE HX, but as the effect is meant to restore lost high frequencies, you will see that activity when the effect is on.

So check it with CD or lower quality music, or even Bluetooth audio and USB DAC modes.

You can easily make a comparison by turning the effect off an on. Of course, also listen to the sound. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back