SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #39,346 of 45,723
I have the EX1K, with the original cable re-terminated to 4.4mm balanced. The original plug had a broken/intermittent connection when I bought it 2nd hand, so I bought it with the intention of replacing the plug with a 4.4mm, which I did.
My personal opinion is that the EX1K's harshness in the treble makes it uncomfortable on a lot of music, and I suspect the 4.4mm may make that worse, as the balanced output has more definiton.
If you can re-terminate to 4.4mm for a cheap cost, then you can try, and see for yourself.
If it is going to cost any significant amount of money, I would not bother, as the EX1K is 10+ years old, and there are better IEMs to apply that money to.

Having said that, I also see that there are users who love the EX1K over many other modern IEMs, so for those people, it would be worth the money to re-cable, or re-terminate the plug to 4.4mm. Re-cabling is also difficult, as the earphone connectors are custom, and not available, except from 3rd party sources, which have proven to be very hit and miss in quality and compatibility. (I've tried some of them. 2 sets could not be soldered, due to the composition)

If you find the treble can already be harsh on the current 3.5mm, then I would definitely say it is not worth it to re-cable or re-terminate the plug. Instead, put the money you would have spent on this towards a modern IEM, and just enjoy the EX1K on the 3.5mm cable/plug.

Edit: Another option is to try the conversion plug from custom Sony to MMCX, which Lunashops has. I have tried that, and got the 2nd set to work.
Thank you :)

I think that answers me perfectly - if the converters are cost effective I will get some just to say I have tried :)

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #39,347 of 45,723
One of Bowie's very best...
Cover.jpg
Demands Volume, it's analogue because it is, clicks and all :sunglasses: WM1A presents the album superbly on stock 3.02 & J region. Can get totally lost in this one :ksc75smile: After all what's the point of talking about DAP's without referencing music...

Listening on Dunu 3001 Pro on 4.4 High Gain, 3001 elevates the mid's a touch, keeps the rest very natural. Nice synergy with the DD & BA great mid range IEM, nothing spectacular, equally nothing bad to note. WM1A on Direct, the DSP adds too much or too little sounds imbalanced, or maybe just my choice of DSP.

Switching the 4.4 to Low Gain, sharper, felt less analogue, staging a touch wider. Overall flipped back to High Gain as seemed to complement the analogue origins of the album more. 4.4 on High Gain warmer & smother like liquid gold....

Q-6

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #39,348 of 45,723
It's weird, people ask why do you need a DAP when you've got Bluetooth headphones, well - I decided to listen to a bit of Amazon Music HD on my Galaxy S10+ and Ananda BT, choppy as anything and muted volume.

Putting the WM1A in place of the Galaxy, instant rock solid connection, and more volume on tap than I can handle - oh, and sweet sweet sounds. The WM players really are the gift that keeps on giving!

Strangely I couldn't work out how to connect them via the the WMC-NWH10 connector, USB Audio popped up on the top left of the screen, but no audio out of the Ananda, but with BT sounding this sweet, not sure that I'm that bothered.

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #39,349 of 45,723
It's weird, people ask why do you need a DAP when you've got Bluetooth headphones, well - I decided to listen to a bit of Amazon Music HD on my Galaxy S10+ and Ananda BT, choppy as anything and muted volume.

Putting the WM1A in place of the Galaxy, instant rock solid connection, and more volume on tap than I can handle - oh, and sweet sweet sounds. The WM players really are the gift that keeps on giving!

Strangely I couldn't work out how to connect them via the the WMC-NWH10 connector, USB Audio popped up on the top left of the screen, but no audio out of the Ananda, but with BT sounding this sweet, not sure that I'm that bothered.

There's a certain magic with WM1A/Z, that's both engaging and musical. I've a Fiio M11 Pro, arguably a very accomplished TOTL DAP, it's going to be gifted to a friend soon as COVID allows. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the M11 Pro, however it pales in comparison to the WM1A. Forget the features, for me it's all about the music. I can get lost with the Sony. I don't want to continuously be analysing. I just want to experience and enjoy the music as it should be.

Q-6

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #39,350 of 45,723
That’s interresting as most who have heard both deffinately feel the 1Z is the warmer and more analog sounding of the 2 (I have never heard a 1A)
Maybe it comes down to the different region firmwares? I am surprised to hear the difference switching regions from E to J - so much that you could be fooled into thinking you were listening to a different device.

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #39,351 of 45,723
I have the EX1K, with the original cable re-terminated to 4.4mm balanced. The original plug had a broken/intermittent connection when I bought it 2nd hand, so I bought it with the intention of replacing the plug with a 4.4mm, which I did.
My personal opinion is that the EX1K's harshness in the treble makes it uncomfortable on a lot of music, and I suspect the 4.4mm may make that worse, as the balanced output has more definiton.
If you can re-terminate to 4.4mm for a cheap cost, then you can try, and see for yourself.
If it is going to cost any significant amount of money, I would not bother, as the EX1K is 10+ years old, and there are better IEMs to apply that money to.

Having said that, I also see that there are users who love the EX1K over many other modern IEMs, so for those people, it would be worth the money to re-cable, or re-terminate the plug to 4.4mm. Re-cabling is also difficult, as the earphone connectors are custom, and not available, except from 3rd party sources, which have proven to be very hit and miss in quality and compatibility. (I've tried some of them. 2 sets could not be soldered, due to the composition)

If you find the treble can already be harsh on the current 3.5mm, then I would definitely say it is not worth it to re-cable or re-terminate the plug. Instead, put the money you would have spent on this towards a modern IEM, and just enjoy the EX1K on the 3.5mm cable/plug.

Edit: Another option is to try the conversion plug from custom Sony to MMCX, which Lunashops has. I have tried that, and got the 2nd set to work.
Wow, shiver my timbers...
70C22505-63CA-4BDC-A944-4D63ADC29C29.png

I think this has to be done...

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #39,352 of 45,723
Maybe it comes down to the different region firmwares? I am surprised to hear the difference switching regions from E to J - so much that you could be fooled into thinking you were listening to a different device.

Some would say not. My ears have been with me for the last 56 years and they say very different

CN - All about resolution, trading off reduced mid bass
CA - Big & Bouncy, sounds great initially, mid bass spills over and tends to spoils the party
MX3 - Really good, well balanced, however no BT remote capacity, Nice U with great bass & treble.
J - Probably the most balanced with the best timbre (my choice)
E - Very V shaped, fine with the ZX300, on the more resolving WM1A not so much as can be piercing with some IEM's
U - More U shaped, nothing wrong, nothing exceptional
TW - Trades bass for high end resolution, equally banging if that's your thing

This is the beauty of the NW series as we can flip to our own personal taste. All 16 regions have a distinct flavour :)

Q-6

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #39,353 of 45,723
Feel that, been home since end Dec 19, no Thx to COVID. Already written the year off financially. We all gota start thinking and working smarter to beat this. Governments need to grow up and work together, STOP bickering and posturing. As ever united we stand, decided we fall...

Music being the one thing that takes the edge off, so keep em coming :o2smile:

Q-6

music and some good weed have really helped me get throught these weird, neurotic times - and ofc
One of Bowie's very best...

Demands Volume, it's analogue because it is, clicks and all :sunglasses: WM1A presents the album superbly on stock 3.02 & J region. Can get totally lost in this one :ksc75smile: After all what's the point of talking about DAP's without referencing music...

Listening on Dunu 3001 Pro on 4.4 High Gain, 3001 elevates the mid's a touch, keeps the rest very natural. Nice synergy with the DD & BA great mid range IEM, nothing spectacular, equally nothing bad to note. WM1A on Direct, the DSP adds too much or too little sounds imbalanced, or maybe just my choice of DSP.

Switching the 4.4 to Low Gain, sharper, felt less analogue, staging a touch wider. Overall flipped back to High Gain as seemed to complement the analogue origins of the album more. 4.4 on High Gain warmer & smother like liquid gold....

Q-6

let me pm you a vinyl rip of this one (plus a few more DB albums) by possibly the best vinyl ripper on the planet atm

imagine the crystal clear sound of cd mixed with the organic/analog warmth of the vinyl

best of both worlds , in other words.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #39,354 of 45,723
Some would say not. My ears have been with me for the last 56 years and they say very different

CN - All about resolution, trading off reduced mid bass
CA - Big & Bouncy, sounds great initially, mid bass spills over and tends to spoils the party
MX3 - Really good, well balanced, however no BT remote capacity, Nice U with great bass & treble.
J - Probably the most balanced with the best timbre (my choice)
E - Very V shaped, fine in the ZX300, on the more resolving WM1A not so much as can be piercing with some IEM's
U - More U shaped, nothing wrong, nothing exceptional
TW - Trades bass for high end resolution,equally banging if that's your thing

This is the beauty of the NW series as we can flip to our own personal taste. All 16 regions have a distinct flavour :)

Q-6

I just tested the CN+Orion9 combo, since I thought the overly warm Orion9 would benefit from CN region, but to my surprise the sound did not convince me at all. It was still too treble shy and "bouncy" in a weird way.

music and some good weed have really helped me get throught these weird, neurotic times - and ofc

let me pm you a vinyl rip of this one (plus a few more DB albums) by possibly the best vinyl ripper on the planet atm

imagine the crystal clear sound of cd mixed with the organic/analog warmth of the vinyl

best of both worlds , in other words.
best vinyl ripper? mmm Pbthal? haha

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #39,355 of 45,723
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #39,356 of 45,723
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #39,357 of 45,723
Pbthal rips are awesome yes!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #39,358 of 45,723
I just tested the CN+Orion9 combo, since I thought the overly warm Orion9 would benefit from CN region, but

best vinyl ripper? mmm Pbthal? haha

Ripping vinyl to digital is an art and requires very good gear plus software paired with skill and patience and can produce very good resulte

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #39,359 of 45,723
For users with WH-1000XM3, using a Sony walkman(any model) with LDAC sound quality mode is the closest you will ever get to wired mode.

In my experience, all other mobile phone, including Sony's own Xperia LDAC Bluetooth lacks the deep, emotive, musical bass which only Sony walkman Bluetooth LDAC codec can present.

The only part which is missing from the Sony ldac vs wired s-master hx 3.5mm, is the airy treble/high frequency sound which the LDAC codec can't reproduce in full.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #39,360 of 45,723
For users with WH-1000XM3, using a Sony walkman(any model) with LDAC sound quality mode is the closest you will ever get to wired mode.

Other mobile phone, including Sony's own Xperia LDAC Bluetooth lacks the emotive, musical bass which only Sony walkman Bluetooth LDAC can present.

The only part which is missing from the Sony ldac vs wired s-master hx 3.5mm, is the airy treble/high frequency sound which the LDAC codec can't reproduce in full.

Or the XM3 isen’t tuned to or able to deliver it. I did like the combo (could not tell any difference between feeding from 1Z or A45 on ldac) but the A45 and XM3 in the end were surplus to requirement and got sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back