SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #38,676 of 45,723
Orion5 is so totally bang on the money for me, on my 1Az that it isn’t even funny - I can truly say that the only time it sounds bad is when it is a poor recording to begin with... if I were to sum it up in one word, it would either be “effortless” or “organic”... absolutely fantastic combo

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #38,677 of 45,723
Orion5 is so totally bang on the money for me, on my 1Az that it isn’t even funny - I can truly say that the only time it sounds bad is when it is a poor recording to begin with... if I were to sum it up in one word, it would either be “effortless” or “organic”... absolutely fantastic combo
Doesn't the 1Az get erased when you put Orion5 on?

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #38,678 of 45,723
Doesn't the 1Az get erased when you put Orion5 on?
I think he meant he has a 1A and switched the model to 1Z. If you load a tuning mod onto another then yes it gets overwritten.

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #38,679 of 45,723
I think he meant he has a 1A and switched the model to 1Z. If you load a tuning mod onto another then yes it gets overwritten.
That’s what I mean, thank you for clarifying on my behalf @aceedburn - will be clearer when noting this in future

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #38,680 of 45,723
That’s what I mean, thank you for clarifying on my behalf @aceedburn - will be clearer when noting this in future
Do you hear a difference between orion 5 on wm1a firmware vs wm1z firmware on the wm1a?
Confusing wording. I know haja

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #38,681 of 45,723
Do you hear a difference between orion 5 on wm1a firmware vs wm1z firmware on the wm1a?
Confusing wording. I know haja
I can say that I enjoy it more for sure, but being blunt, short of having two 1As with me, one with the A version, the other with the Z, my auditory memory isn’t good enough to play spot the difference...

i would say that it is smoother, more balanced with a more textured bass, but I can’t rule out expectation hype / bias from having WM1Z displayed on the Unit Information screen rather than WM1A.

what I can say, whether or no is that Orion5 for me is an awesome tune :)

Edit: Larkin Poe - Cure For The Common Cold - this track on its own redefines for me what textured bass can sound like - especially for a portable device! Also how much @RobertP ‘s tune can do for these players

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #38,682 of 45,723
I can say that I enjoy it more for sure, but being blunt, short of having two 1As with me, one with the A version, the other with the Z, my auditory memory isn’t good enough to play spot the difference...

i would say that it is smoother, more balanced with a more textured bass, but I can’t rule out expectation hype / bias from having WM1Z displayed on the Unit Information screen rather than WM1A.

what I can say, whether or no is that Orion5 for me is an awesome tune :)

Edit: Larkin Poe - Cure For The Common Cold - this track on its own redefines for me what textured bass can sound like - especially for a portable device! Also how much @RobertP ‘s tune can do for these players
p
Haha placebo effects are real. I guess ill have to experiment it myself. :)

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #38,683 of 45,723
p
Haha placebo effects are real. I guess ill have to experiment it myself. :)
Please do, and confirm for me that it isn’t in my head - to be fair, I’d be shocked if it was!

Another track that has redefined bass for me is Falling Free on the Slor album by Eivør - the plucky little 1A really can shine given the right ingredients!

YouTube won’t do this justice...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #38,684 of 45,723
Please do, and confirm for me that it isn’t in my head - to be fair, I’d be shocked if it was!

Another track that has redefined bass for me is Falling Free on the Slor album by Eivør - the plucky little 1A really can shine given the right ingredients!

YouTube won’t do this justice...

Great find. Have to download the album now :)

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #38,685 of 45,723
I would love to hear comparisons between a WM1Z and a WM1A with the 1Z change. Both as stock to not inject extra variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back