SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #38,701 of 45,723
This is another track that quite literally has just brought a tear to my eye, the quality of the bass that the firmware tweaks on the 1A afford the FiiO FH7 is phenomenal...

As before, YouTube really isn’t the best place to listen, however - even if the vocals don’t get you, the bass notes half way through should...

Need to try those Firmwares. I'll see how they mix with my IER-Z1R. In the meantime, cable or 4.4m headphone amp advice I shall await.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #38,702 of 45,723
Need to try those Firmwares. I'll see how they mix with my IER-Z1R. In the meantime, cable or 4.4m headphone amp advice I shall await.
As maybe an aside, maybe not - I know your musical preferences, you mentioned them a few pages back - for the sound that you’re after, are you looking for an emotional (log fire, warm, lush) type connection, or a technical (science lab, precise, analytical) one?

I kind of thought I was technical, in the past few weeks I’ve realised I’m quite the opposite

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #38,703 of 45,723
As maybe an aside, maybe not - I know your musical preferences, you mentioned them a few pages back - for the sound that you’re after, are you looking for an emotional (log fire, warm, lush) type connection, or a technical (science lab, precise, analytical) one?

I kind of thought I was technical, in the past few weeks I’ve realised I’m quite the opposite
Give yourself more credit than you realize. You’ve been an inspiration, thank you for that

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #38,704 of 45,723
Someone mentioned on this thread a workaround to install the new firmware tunings on a Mac...but i can´t seem to find that workaround, and the VM i had with WindBlows has expired already...i really want to try that new Orion!!!

Also cannot install WindBlows using bootcamp, keeps generating a stupid error message to verify my disk, and already run the disk utility several times, and no errors were detected on my disk....

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #38,705 of 45,723
Someone mentioned on this thread a workaround to install the new firmware tunings on a Mac...but i can´t seem to find that workaround, and the VM i had with WindBlows has expired already...i really want to try that new Orion!!!

Also cannot install WindBlows using bootcamp, keeps generating a stupid error message to verify my disk, and already run the disk utility several times, and no errors were detected on my disk....
Are you using a downloaded version? I actually bought a serial and downloaded the image from Microsoft’s website, I did the boot camp procedure and it worked flawlessly. Funnily, windows boot super fast but the track pad goes crazy with it, you could erase the partition and do it again

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #38,706 of 45,723
I cant rollback to WM1A

IT SAYS connected model WM1A
Wrote 64 bytes to file (mode 33, )

Updated the NW Model Switcher tool in order to fix this issue.

Also, edited the post in order to include some instructions: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15647585

There is now a link that includes a DMP-Z1 stock sound for WM1. However, please keep in mind the hardware differences between the two players. Nonetheless, being able to truly have the DMP-Z1 as a base for tuning mods on a WM1A, should be of help.

Edit: I hope that releasing this tool would serve as a reminder that sharing is caring, to people who feel like not sharing for one reason or another. We wouldn't have anything like this if everyone would start keeping things to themselves.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #38,707 of 45,723
This is another track that quite literally has just brought a tear to my eye, the quality of the bass that the firmware tweaks on the 1A afford the FiiO FH7 is phenomenal...

As before, YouTube really isn’t the best place to listen, however - even if the vocals don’t get you, the bass notes half way through should...

Totally agree, should always be about the music first and foremost. In this day & age we are spoilt by so many ways to enjoy. Some mediums are worse than others, however few are poor...

Q-6

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #38,708 of 45,723
Changed my 1A to the 1Z. Then applied stock 1Z, and then got orion stage 5 (1Z ver). Makes me feel like im sitting in the live crowd of adele's live at royal albert hall album :)

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #38,709 of 45,723
Updated the NW Model Switcher tool in order to fix this issue.

Also, edited the post in order to include some instructions: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15647585

There is now a link that includes a DMP-Z1 stock sound for WM1. However, please keep in mind the hardware differences between the two players. Nonetheless, being able to truly have the DMP-Z1 as a base for tuning mods on a WM1A, should be of help.

Edit: I hope that releasing this tool would serve as a reminder that sharing is caring, to people who feel like not sharing for one reason or another. We wouldn't have anything like this if everyone would start keeping things to themselves.
You're awesome. Thanks for making this hobby so awesome to be apart of. Wish I could buy you a coffee haha

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #38,710 of 45,723
Do you hear a difference between orion 5 on wm1a firmware vs wm1z firmware on the wm1a?
Confusing wording. I know haja
Glad to see you’ve done this :)
Changed my 1A to the 1Z. Then applied stock 1Z, and then got orion stage 5 (1Z ver). Makes me feel like im sitting in the live crowd of adele's live at royal albert hall album :)
If you had Orion5 as a 1A, then I guess you’re with me, and can confirm to me that its not my head :)

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #38,711 of 45,723
Thank you for all @morgenstern09, really appreciated! I was still using Solis version on my WM1A. I have a doubt after getting the WM1Z firmware on the WM1A: you talk about applying it's tunings, but where are they? Thank you again for all your dedication.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #38,712 of 45,723
Thank you for all @morgenstern09, really appreciated! I was still using Solis version on my WM1A. I have a doubt after getting the WM1Z firmware on the WM1A: you talk about applying it's tunings, but where are they? Thank you again for all your dedication.

For example WM1Z2 which is in morgenstern09s signature could only be installed on a WM1Z but by using the model switcher it can now be applied to a WM1A

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #38,713 of 45,723
For example WM1Z2 which is in morgenstern09s signature could only be installed on a WM1Z but by using the model switcher it can now be applied to a WM1A

OK, thank you! WM1Z stock firmware sounds great on WM1A. I think I will stay a couple of days with it.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #38,715 of 45,723
Are you using a downloaded version? I actually bought a serial and downloaded the image from Microsoft’s website, I did the boot camp procedure and it worked flawlessly. Funnily, windows boot super fast but the track pad goes crazy with it, you could erase the partition and do it again
I was using a dw version from WindBlows 10 from Microsoft website, no intention on paying, the idea was just to use it to install the tuning fw and then delete the all thing, as i´m not a fan of Microsoft, nor any of them shady products....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back