SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #38,656 of 45,723
The theory is that you will have the 1Z stock sound, without needing to apply any other tuning.

Also, WM1Az is made for a 1A, with the sound signature of a 1A. After switching to 1Z, you could try tunings made for the 1Z.
Ah, ok. You're awesome dude. Can't wait to get my WM1A to try it out!

May 31, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #38,657 of 45,723
you FW guys are indeed awesome , it feels like i have 20 daps in one (with all those FWs at hand for my 1a)

and i haven't even touched this 'turn your 1a into 1z' wizardry yet

thank you all.

May 31, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #38,658 of 45,723
you FW guys are indeed awesome , it feels like i have 20 daps in one (with all those FWs at hand for my 1a)

and i haven't even touched this 'turn your 1a into 1z' wizardry yet

thank you all.

I concur.. Although I am currently enjoying my 1Z with its stock 3.02 J region setup, it's really cool to see all these mods (both both software and hardware) being explored for this DAP platform. :beerchug:

May 31, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #38,659 of 45,723
Has anyone here tried to switch to dmp-z1 and applied z1 tuning?

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #38,660 of 45,723
Allow me to introduce, the...

NW Model Switcher

What is this?

NW Model Switcher is a Windows CMD script that allows changing the model
of your player, working together with the Rockbox destination changing tool.

The main idea was to get the stock 1Z sound signature to the 1A. The process
is safe and easily reversible. In the case of a WM1A to WM1Z change, you could
apply tunings for a 1Z, exactly like you own a 1Z instead of a 1A.

To fellow sound tuning creators

The sound tunings are applied via the Software Update tool from Sony. If someone
has a WM1A, a WM1A code always has to be in the update files, not really allowing
you to get a pure stock WM1Z sound.

Changing the model of a WM1A to WM1Z, for example, will allow us to skip the WM1A
tuning lines, and use only WM1Z lines.

A WM1A Universal would normally require a WM1A 00000000 line. After changing the model,
WM1A 00000000 will not work anymore, and you have to use WM1Z 00000000.

Also, after experimenting with this, it seems that the model of the device matters when the
Software Update applies the tuning. If you have a stock WM1A, and switch to WM1Z, it is not
enough. You will also have to reapply the stock tuning, and only then the change is noticed in
the audio - this is because when flashing the stock as WM1Z as opposed to WM1A, the tuning
will be sent different to the device.

The tool can be found here (click) (updated - v1.2.1)

It should be simple, you'll only have to unpack the archive and launch (double-click) the
"nw_model_switcher_1.2" file. There is a menu set in the script, so everything should be
pretty straightforward.

After changing the model, you will have to restart the player and apply the stock firmware.
The stock firmware for the WM1A/Z can be found here (click).

However, don't hesitate to ask any questions that may arise and feel free to experiment.
And I hope there are not errors I didn't notice or anything, took me long enough to try and
iron everything out, lol.

I also invite WM1A users who will change the model to WM1Z, to try the sound tuning
that can be found here (click). :wink:

OMG, I away for a few days and 25pages fly by and such MASSIVE PROGRESS happened here!!!

Never has it been so good for 1a crowd, to now take part in full 1z tunnings!

The WM1 players will also display the new model in the Unit Information section:

This is so unreal its almost rediculous.
With this, and a hardware mod, you theoretically won't need a 1z anymore, (except for looks & prestige)... This is HUGE, and I am late to the party lol..

might be having my mind changed for me though, @morgenstern09 1A to 1Z conversion is seemingly quite magical... I think this could be love!
The reason I switched from a 1a unit, to a 1z, is for the more realistic organic sound...
Totally void of "solid-state" sound..
There was no going back...
I predict this move for 1a to use 1z, to be the route of choice.
This is really a turning point for the 1a ..
:)

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #38,661 of 45,723
So the 1Z is no longer worth it over the 1A assuming cost isn’t a factor?

May 31, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #38,662 of 45,723
Has anyone tested the NW Model Switcher with a 1A dap with 1Z firmware and compared it to a 1Z? Interested in seeing the results!

May 31, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #38,663 of 45,723
So the 1Z is no longer worth it over the 1A assuming cost isn’t a factor?
The only difference left would be the 1z hardware upgrades of resistors and capacitors, and copper body sheilding.
You get closer but would still need a hardware mod to possibly match it.
That's why the mod thread is worth following.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #38,664 of 45,723
The only difference left would be the 1z hardware upgrades of resistors and capacitors, and copper body sheilding.
You get closer but would still need a hardware mod to possibly match it.
That's why the mod thread is worth following.
Meaning the 1A with the firmware mods reduces that gap where the 1Z isn't needed?

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #38,665 of 45,723
OMG, I away for a few days and 25pages fly by and such MASSIVE PROGRESS happened here!!!

Never has it been so good for 1a crowd, to now take part in full 1z tunnings!

This is so unreal its almost rediculous.
With this, and a hardware mod, you theoretically won't need a 1z anymore, (except for looks & prestige)... This is HUGE, and I am late to the party lol..

The reason I switched from a 1a unit, to a 1z, is for the more realistic organic sound...
Totally void of "solid-state" sound..
There was no going back...
I predict this move for 1a to use 1z, to be the route of choice.
This is really a turning point for the 1a ..
:)

Same thing about this thread, I love to come back to it and find something cool, the switcher it’s an amazing new game changer, got right away to wm1+z and well, so far, I can feel a change, cannot describe it right away, I wish I could have a second unit for a/ b comparison.

Jun 1, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #38,667 of 45,723
z1.JPG

Doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back