SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #38,626 of 45,723
Mac version is now available. Enjoy!

Huge thank to you @RobertP and everyone who continues helping out us Mac users who may not have the knowledge/time to convert Windows-based FW's to Mac ones :)

May 31, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #38,627 of 45,723
No settings are reset during flashing a fw. Doing a Factory reset from the meny on the player will reset all settings except the region as that is not a setting Sony ever intended to be user adjustable. The “modded fw” which aren’t really modded fw but only new fpga tunings are overwritten when installing a Sony fw as they are part of the Sony fw together with the functional part
When I talked about tuning settings I meant just the fpga tunings you have mentioned. You say Sony never intended the region to be user adjustable but the fact is we change it and now we can change the unit model too and these changes doesn’t revert to original status after a firmware reload and neither with a factory reset. So I‘m asking if any of the firmware modders over here when tuning the fpga settings have checked that all of these fpga tuning (values?) are restored to its original form when the original firmware is loaded again (I assume they are numerical values and easy to copy its original status before modding and then,and after modding, easy to compare between after and before loading original firmware ro see if those values get really back to original status).
So at the end everybody’s saying that after an original firmware reload all fpga “modded” settings goes back to original status but I am asking if somebody have checked this
Thanks!

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #38,628 of 45,723
I think I need to leave this thread now...

WM1Az with Orion5 - seemingly bang on the money for me, moreso than any other combination / permutation - makes the FiiO FH7 sing beautifully...

I know that my gear is not really that great (or high end) compared to some of the combinations in this thread, but the synergy is off of the charts, pushes my previous thoughts of the FH7 being giant killers even more apparent - the AK T8IE mkii, RHA CL2 and JH Layla that I have do not offer half of the enjoyment of the FH7 on this setup.
In my case, I actually prefer Classical and reverted back to it. For my current hardware, Classical is able to produce better separation and staging. I asked Robert and he told me that Classical was being tuned with higher hardware in mind, people with less modification will not like it so Orion is made for that gap which tends to satisfy most people

May 31, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #38,629 of 45,723
When I talked about tuning settings I meant just the fpga tunings you have mentioned. You say Sony never intended the region to be user adjustable but the fact is we change it and now we can change the unit model too and these changes doesn’t revert to original status after a firmware reload and neither with a factory reset. So I‘m asking if any of the firmware modders over here when tuning the fpga settings have checked that all of these fpga tuning (values?) are restored to its original form when the original firmware is loaded again (I assume they are numerical values and easy to copy its original status before modding and then,and after modding, easy to compare between after and before loading original firmware ro see if those values get really back to original status).
So at the end everybody’s saying that after an original firmware reload all fpga “modded” settings goes back to original status but I am asking if somebody have checked this
Thanks!
I think you will have to use the tool they found again...

May 31, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #38,630 of 45,723
I think you will have to use the tool they found again...
Seeing stuff like this makes me wonder if it's worth experimenting with the Firmwares. Hmm...

May 31, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #38,631 of 45,723
Seeing stuff like this makes me wonder if it's worth experimenting with the Firmwares. Hmm...

It is very much worth it and in my opinion perfectly safe, I have tried most of them with no bad side effects that I’m aware of

May 31, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #38,632 of 45,723
It is very much worth it and in my opinion perfectly safe, I have tried most of them with no bad side effects that I’m aware of
Good to know. Thanks

May 31, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #38,633 of 45,723
mmm its really advanced stuff I remember when we use to pray for Sony to release new fw.... its nice to have people who actually cares for the device many people have been here helping us users sqeze the last bit of sound out of our 1A who knows if new people comes in reads, then and step into their sholders helping back with a sort of synery and feedback power

I guess in the end its a win win situation since some users began to be curious about how good is moded firmware and tunings they just go and buy a GREAT DAP such as 1A and 1Z.

if wish that could go a step further and sony Aknoledges that and let users play with options might be a bright future imagine booting your 1A and have a menu of Region select FW select A/Z Tuning select staging select or just go as last time wont it be awesome? it will add so much value to the device...

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #38,635 of 45,723
Anyway some comments from the tuning developers about these concerns will be great

Indeed but the best advice if you don't feel comfotable trying the different tunings is just don't as the players in stock form are still great

May 31, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #38,636 of 45,723
mmm its really advanced stuff i remember when we use to pray for Sony to release new fw.... its nice to have people who actually cares for the device many people have been here helping us users sqeze the last bit of sound out of our 1A who knows new people comes in reads and step into their sholders helping back with a sort of synery and feedback power so I guess in the end its a win win situation since some users began to be curious about how good is moded firmware and tunings they just go and buy a GREAT DAP such as 1A and 1Z so if that could go a step further and sony aknoledges that and let users play with options might be a bright future imagine booting your 1A and have a menu of Region select FW select A/Z Tuning select staging select or just go as last time wont it be awesome? it will add so much value to the device...
Really? Sony is cool with changing the regions? Awesome! Since when?

May 31, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #38,637 of 45,723
Really? Sony is cool with changing the regions? Awesome! Since when?

I doubt it. I think Mindstorms was saying it would be nice if Sony implemented the option to select in their own firmware.

May 31, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #38,638 of 45,723
I just tested Orion 5 with my 3.02 1Z (J). I come from a version of Autumn+. I was surprised by the openess in sound. It's a really open sound tuning with great clarity. It lost a touch of "brutality" in comparison with Autumn+ (which is appreciable in some metal songs), yet that's not necessarily a bad thing. Definitely a very nice option to have. I actually find myself torn between it and Autumn+. It would be so nice if we could have an option to switch between tunings without having to go full USBietnam.

May 31, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #38,639 of 45,723
I just tested Orion 5 with my 3.02 1Z (J). I come from a version of Autumn+. I was surprised by the openess in sound. It's a really open sound tuning with great clarity. It lost a touch of "brutality" in comparison with Autumn+ (which is appreciable in some metal songs), yet that's not necessarily a bad thing. Definitely a very nice option to have. I actually find myself torn between it and Autumn+. It would be so nice if we could have an option to switch between tunings without having to go full USBietnam.

I’m also trying it now on my 1Z 3.02 J coming from 3 weeks of Autumn+ and really liking it. It is now a toss up between Autumn+, Orion or Solis but all are great

May 31, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #38,640 of 45,723
Snow Patrols “Eyes Open” album has great tracks but has always sounded like hot garbage to me - with the 1Z trigger on my 1A, and the Orion5 mod (J Region), it sounds fantastic...

I know that things are good, I’ve moved from bass tips and treble filter on the FH7 to neutral filter with SpinTips, and - switched off all of the DSP, and it still sounds fantastic... no more artificial boosts, manipulations or otherwise :)

I’m genuinely impressed / staggered by what the plucky little 1A is truly capable of, and I’d have never known without the modders here...

A personal special mention goes to both @morgenstern09 and @RobertP - and an honorary mention to everyone else who has brought all of the magic to the party!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back