SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #38,236 of 45,723
Maybe, it's an expensive device that can be fully reset including operating hours, as ever you've got to buy the seller first and foremost.

Q-6
Is it better to buy it brand new?

May 26, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #38,237 of 45,723
May 26, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #38,238 of 45,723
May 26, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #38,239 of 45,723
I'm still charging my Walkman now and got my Battery Care activated. Will it indicate when it stops charging and then, from that point, is it a bad idea to charge to 100% as long as I carefully monitor the charging?

Thanks for the feedback, guys

May 26, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #38,240 of 45,723
I'm still charging my Walkman now and got my Battery Care activated. Will it indicate when it stops charging and then, from that point, is it a bad idea to charge to 100% as long as I carefully monitor the charging?

Thanks for the feedback, guys

The red light turns of when it stops charging.

If you want to recalibrate the battery turn battery care off and then use the player until it turns off and cant be turned on again (usually takes a couple of times turning it on before it refuses) and then charge until the red light turns off and enable battery care

May 26, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #38,241 of 45,723
Why I choose always Hi-res first?
Because it sounds more natural, more effortless, music has no restraints, decays natural, reverb, bass textures and responses much better,room cues and instrument separation/distancing cues, layering.

I think that we human beings hear the frequencies of Hi-Res audio but NOT AS TONES like a Bat or your dog but.more in the form of Harmonic modulations that translate into room cues, separation cues

That is so important but hard to realize cause there isnt no one to teach us and show the right way.
This is why there is so much misunderstanding.

What you are saying is what I call feeling the music and not just listening. I often say I feel and not listen.

This is where things are extremely important to get maximum feelings you need a native recording done at maximum resolution possible, microphones placed in such way so you get full dynamics and acoustics of the instruments.

In what environment was is it recorded plays a vast major roll as it all affects sound stage perception.

Then the equipment itself!

The mastering at end...
The chain keeps going and going!
That aside from you are already in high res format!
The chain is very long and all the aspects has to be done all accurately. Then! You can start comparing or simply enjoying.

The high res format gives us the ability to register that segment of the music that is present in real life as we hear it. So this is the reason why high res format exists! So we can perceive enjoy the music at its best!

But so many fella say they dont hear the difference its all the same snake oil diminishing returns and bla bla bla.

Well its because they got it all wrong using wrong gear and brain locked them selfs also to not believe in this from start...

Be open minded concentrate and feel it! Yes it not cheap it cost a lot of $ but there is a reason for that!

I specially picked my tia fourte noir + pw1960 4wires because it even enhances those harmonics we love so much! Musicality, bass waves and natural thick mids.

The way I feel my music with my equipment is simply mindblowing and ludacriously good its pure drugs seriously!
I can feel the waves and ripples! Fast dynamic punches of music and tithes nuts nuts.
Musical treble to the point you cant stop crying cause its so beautiful!

I can keep going and going 🙃
I try my best to share my experience and knowledge I acquired so you folks can save some time and go straight to the real DEAL and start enjoying this hobby to its best!

That was Tiger Ears mind&soul
🌿🐯🐾👑

May 26, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #38,242 of 45,723
The red light turns of when it stops charging.

If you want to recalibrate the battery turn battery care off and then use the player until it turns off and cant be turned on again (usually takes a couple of times turning it on before it refuses) and then charge until the red light turns off and enable battery care
Understood. It sounds like in general, it is better to maximize the battery WITH battery care on always. Would I be correct in assuming that most people never charge their batteries to 100% under the condition that they carefully monitor the red light status? Appreciate your info always, nc8000

May 26, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #38,243 of 45,723
That is so important but hard to realize cause there isnt no one to teach us and show the right way.
This is why there is so much misunderstanding.

What you are saying is what I call feeling the music and not just listening. I often say I feel and not listen.

This is where things are extremely important to get maximum feelings you need a native recording done at maximum resolution possible, microphones placed in such way so you get full dynamics and acoustics of the instruments.

In what environment was is it recorded plays a vast major roll as it all affects sound stage perception.

Then the equipment itself!

The mastering at end...
The chain keeps going and going!
That aside from you are already in high res format!
The chain is very long and all the aspects has to be done all accurately. Then! You can start comparing or simply enjoying.

The high res format gives us the ability to register that segment of the music that is present in real life as we hear it. So this is the reason why high res format exists! So we can perceive enjoy the music at its best!

But so many fella say they dont hear the difference its all the same snake oil diminishing returns and bla bla bla.

Well its because they got it all wrong using wrong gear and brain locked them selfs also to not believe in this from start...

Be open minded concentrate and feel it! Yes it not cheap it cost a lot of $ but there is a reason for that!

I specially picked my tia fourte noir + pw1960 4wires because it even enhances those harmonics we love so much! Musicality, bass waves and natural thick mids.

The way I feel my music with my equipment is simply mindblowing and ludacriously good its pure drugs seriously!
I can feel the waves and ripples! Fast dynamic punches of music and tithes nuts nuts.
Musical treble to the point you cant stop crying cause its so beautiful!

I can keep going and going 🙃
I try my best to share my experience and knowledge I acquired so you folks can save some time and go straight to the real DEAL and start enjoying this hobby to its best!

That was Tiger Ears mind&soul
🌿🐯🐾👑
I watched this video on Hi-Res and am wondering if Sony's marketing for the 1Z and price jack up is partially due to it being well.... a marketing gimmick.

In the case of the 1Z and 1A when used with the MDR-Z1R, I honestly did feel a difference in audio quality, recessed mids in the 1A versus more defined bass in the 1Z

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #38,245 of 45,723
Gold isn't cheap ain't it.
I thought it was only the outer service that has gold? Is it really a bunch of gold used in the chassis? Gold plated gives me the impression that it's just coated on the outer surface and not mixed with the copper.

May 26, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #38,247 of 45,723
It is just plated indeed. Especially because copper would oxidize if exposed to air.
It’s just after watching that YouTube video, I’m just thinking Sony just decided to beef up the weight of the 1Z with a brand name of Kimber Kable which I’m sure does help improve the sound, but also as a means to jack up the price a ton. The more I’m learning about the marketing for audio, the more I feel disappointed. I’ll get over it eventually

May 26, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #38,248 of 45,723
I watched this video on Hi-Res and am wondering if Sony's marketing for the 1Z and price jack up is partially due to it being well.... a marketing gimmick.

In the case of the 1Z and 1A when used with the MDR-Z1R, I honestly did feel a difference in audio quality, recessed mids in the 1A versus more defined bass in the 1Z

It is actually something to be skeptical about. The history of Sony is based on the buzz-words in a way. So you have to wonder if it’s just a Japanese company trying to market technology to the world, or truly putting names to innovation? It’s probably a little of both? But the innovation and differences of the 1Z do separate it from the 1A. So the differences are real; how important they are for you to pay for is subjective. But the ground-floor innovations like native DSD support, S-Master HX, and introducing 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced technology is different so why not name it? The emotional context that causes folks to spend will always be triggered by buzzwords; nothing different there. Every product for sale in the world has a sense of marketing attached to it, so nothing new to see here in that regard. Jars of pickles get new names, roofing tile gets composite brands, tires get names for tread technology, it’s everywhere.

Even though you have a new 1A, and you think you notice a 1Z difference......it maybe would not sink in till you had a 1Z for a week or two after burn-in and time alone. It’s all about how much that little extra is worth to you.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #38,249 of 45,723
Another metal head with good taste!!!

See, that to me is a total oxymoron right there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Just joking, don't form a lynch mob against me :)

I'm of the view that good music is good music and if the music is good enough, to some extent it won't matter which genre it comes from if one is open-minded enough.
There's genres I would say I like, and others that, if asked, I would probably say I didn't really like.
But even from the ones I don't really like, I have found songs that I hugely enjoy :)

May 26, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #38,250 of 45,723
Understood. It sounds like in general, it is better to maximize the battery WITH battery care on always. Would I be correct in assuming that most people never charge their batteries to 100% under the condition that they carefully monitor the red light status? Appreciate your info always, nc8000

If you enable battery care the battery never gets charged beyond 90% which is what Sony recommends and you should also not let it discharge completely. I have 3 1/2 years stand by and 3.500 hours play time on mine (has never been turned off except when a reboot has been required) and I still get roughly the same times as when it was new. Gerelmex also has over 3 years but over 8.000 hours play time and after a re calibrate also roughly get the same play time as when new. Another user is on his second battery and 18.000 hours play time. Sony specs the battery at 500 full charge cycles but it will likely be functional a lot longer than that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back