SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #38,206 of 45,723
I coudnt really much tell the difference either, but I could definitely say a difference between mp3 and flac LoL common :)

The secret to my ability to feel the difference more prominently is the pw1960 4 wires cable, I am very impressed by this cable this cable showed me a lot of resolution and nuances that lays deep in to the music. I had a gps plus sound cable before it was a 4 wires type ( gold plated silver ) well the cost was 600 usd$ and I couldnt feel much the difference but once I got the pw1960 I was shocked it is there and very very perceptible.

Now are you willing to pay 2550 $ for a cable for this ability is your call :)
Nope. I’m good with my 1A and IER-Z1R

May 25, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #38,207 of 45,723
So just wondering, people who use this as their DAC for the PC, is it better than say the PHA-2A or 3A? Is it pretty much the best all around device for all audio needs minus music streaming which I don’t need? I’m wondering if the 1A or 1Z makes for a better DAC than the ifi hip dac that I bought. Thoughts? Maybe I didn’t need to get the ifi Hip DAC if that was the case since people say research first before you buy.

May 25, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #38,208 of 45,723
The TA-ZH1ES sounds really intriguing from everything that I'm reading about it.
What cable is it that is used to plug the WM1A into the TA-ZH1ES?
also, my guess is the TA needs to be plugged straight into the wall, and not into an extension cord/surge protector, correct?
thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

https://www.amazon.com/Walkman-Cradle-BCR-NWH10-NW-ZX2-Japan/dp/B00S94R5RK

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Carbon-USB-B-Plug-0-75m/dp/B0041EH0WW

TA comes with a side connection mini USB. Though the sonic upgrade is the rear USB adapter. The third and final best is the Cradle with the AQCarbon USB. Probably best to get the shortest USB possible.

The Cradle allows charging as well as reclocking and noise USB filters, and has a switch so you can choose to use your computer or Walkman as a digital transport for the TA. Don’t know about surge protection, but you don’t want to plug it into a power strip which has PC running off it. Probably direct to the wall best.
Cheers

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #38,209 of 45,723
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

https://www.amazon.com/Walkman-Cradle-BCR-NWH10-NW-ZX2-Japan/dp/B00S94R5RK

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Carbon-USB-B-Plug-0-75m/dp/B0041EH0WW

TA comes with a side connection mini USB. Though the sonic upgrade is the rear USB adapter. The third and final best is the Cradle with the AQCarbon USB. Probably best to get the shortest USB possible.

The Cradle allows charging as well as reclocking and noise USB filters, and has a switch so you can choose to use your computer or Walkman as a digital transport for the TA. Don’t know about surge protection, but you don’t want to plug it into a power strip which has PC running off it. Probably direct to the wall best.
Cheers
Thank you!! Would you happen to have a link to that rear USB adapter? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the TA.. What I'm reading is that with a set of headphones, I'm going to notice a world of difference, right? Anyone here listen to the TA through the HD660s?

May 25, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #38,210 of 45,723
Thank you!! Would you happen to have a link to that rear USB adapter? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the TA.. What I'm reading is that with a set of headphones, I'm going to notice a world of difference, right? Anyone here listen to the TA through the HD660s?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE?tag=headfi-20

Don’t use the HD660s. The difference in comparison to what? Most people do notice a small difference in comparison to a DAP. Your results may vary. As a whole we are trying to get small, extra changes when possible. The use of the cable listed allows for slightly higher bit-rate files at times. For starters there is nothing really wrong with the TA included cable.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #38,211 of 45,723
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE?tag=headfi-20

Don’t use the HD660s. The difference in comparison to what? Most people do notice a small difference in comparison to a DAP. Your results may vary. As a whole we are trying to get small and extra changes when possible.
Difference in comparison to just using the WM1A without any amp. Sooo, just a small difference? And is there a different open back headphone you'd recommend besides the HD660s? I'd really like to stick to open back..

May 25, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #38,212 of 45,723
Difference in comparison to just using the WM1A without any amp. Sooo, just a small difference? And is there a different open back headphone you'd recommend besides the HD660s? I'd really like to stick to open back..

The only openback I use once in a while is the AKGk701 but the TA will not drive them, not enough power. The difference is debatable as it’s more important/noticeable to some than others. It’s for sure a headphone by headphone issue, where it’s a bigger change with different headphones. But added damping factor can at times clean up the lower midrange adding definition to the bass. Imaging gets clearer and the bass maybe gets 1dB louder but seems like more due to it being better delineated amongst the low end. Power also gets you better pace and transient response.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #38,213 of 45,723
The only openback I use once in a while is the AKGk701 but the TA will not drive them, not enough power. The difference is debatable as it’s more important/noticeable to some than others. It’s probably a headphone by headphone issue, where it’s a bigger change with different headphones. But added damping factor can at times clean up the lower midrange adding definition to the bass. Imaging gets clearer and the bass maybe gets 1dB louder but seems like more due to it being better delineated amongst the low end. Power also gets you better pace and transient response.
Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend the HD660S with the TA? Would the TA not be enough to drive them? or you just don't think the HD660s would do the TA justice? So, what you're saying is, to hear the real difference with the TA, I'd be looking at needing to get the Z1R, huh?

May 25, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #38,214 of 45,723
I was excitedly waiting for my Benks TPU case and screen protector to crawl through the mass of parcels the courier service is trying to work through and my parcel finally arrived, with a pair of small sized ultra cheap Chinese quality woman's plastic sandals.... sigh

May 25, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #38,215 of 45,723
Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend the HD660S with the TA? Would the TA not be enough to drive them? or you just don't think the HD660s would do the TA justice? So, what you're saying is, to hear the real difference with the TA, I'd be looking at needing to get the Z1R, huh?
What? I never said I don’t recommend the HD660? I simply don’t know about them. I don’t know about everything, only the few headphones I’ve had experience with.

Neve tried the HD660 with the TA, normally we just don’t recommend stuff we don’t know about?

Like I said before adding a TA may be the endgame for some, but others don’t seem to notice a giant difference. I’m happy with it and can recommend it. Most of success here is taking chances and owning stuff long term.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #38,216 of 45,723
What? I never said I don’t recommend the HD660? I simply don’t know about them. I don’t know about everything, only the few headphones I’ve had experience with.

Neve tried the HD660 with the TA, normally we just don’t recommend stuff we don’t know about?
Oh, my apologies, when you replied, "Don't use the HD660S," I read that to mean that you didn't recommend them with the TA, and were advising against using them in this instance. I understand what you'd meant now. So, it sounds like the difference made by the TA, in comparison to the WM1A alone, really depends on the headphones. okay, good to know.

May 25, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #38,217 of 45,723
Oh, my apologies, when you replied, "Don't use the HD660S," I read that to mean that you didn't recommend them with the TA, and were advising against using them in this instance. I understand what you'd meant now. So, it sounds like the difference made by the TA, in comparison to the WM1A alone, really depends on the headphones. okay, good to know.

For most of us discovering what works has been a journey. Maybe for some they are never satisfied? Though some people have gelled with the Sony sound, it’s always a question and a mystery. The MDR-Z1R continues to be controversial but many love them. It’s safe to say that some are totally happy with the MDR-Z1R and a DAP. Or maybe the HD660 and a DAP. Much of the end happiness comes from being satisfied and you have to take chances and make mistakes to figure it out. Though many on the Sony threads seem to have found groupings of Sony gear that goes together and becomes synergistic with itself. Are we delusional or confused? It’s a basic concept that a house sound can be spread out over a company product base, and people will all find agreement in discovering it. Is it for everyone? No.

May 26, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #38,218 of 45,723
Can anyone describe their experience with the 1A and 1Z as their DAC?

May 26, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #38,219 of 45,723
Can anyone describe their experience with the 1A and 1Z as their DAC?

I’ve used the DAC feature with both Mac and PC. Unfortunately for movies there is a lag causing talking synchronization to be off. So movies are Bluetooth. Though if someone was adamant about using the DAC feature there are programs like VLC that allow you to change the syncing of speech. You want to be in DAC mode before you attach cable.

Bluetooth has some fairly noticeable lack of sound quality. Obviously with music DAC with a computer is the way to go as sync doesn’t matter. But playing Apple “AAC files” on iTunes with the DAC is noticeably better than if you switch to Bluetooth. IMO

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #38,220 of 45,723
I’ve used the DAC feature with both Mac and PC. Unfortunately for movies there is a lag causing talking synchronization to be off. So movies are Bluetooth. Though if someone was adamant about using the DAC feature there are programs like VLC that allow you to change the syncing of speech. You want to be in DAC mode before you attach cable.

Bluetooth has some fairly noticeable lack of sound quality. Obviously with music DAC with a computer is the way to go as sync doesn’t matter. But playing Apple “AAC files” on iTunes with the DAC is noticeably better than if you switch to Bluetooth. IMO
It would be used for music. The Audeze Mobius is more for games and movies. Variety is good :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back