SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #37,141 of 45,723

if you mean the Digweed radio shows , i will pm you a torrent link to download them - if you like this specific genre (progressive House) i suggest you start with 2000-4 as these are the peak years , after 2004 the sound became more minimal/boring (imo)

listening to his 2002 shows atm (which is probably peak year for the genre) , damn they really made fantastic tunes then

May 7, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #37,142 of 45,723
if you mean the Digweed radio shows , i will pm you a torrent link to download them - if you like this specific genre (progressive House) i suggest you start with 2000-4 as these are the peak years , after 2004 the sound became more minimal/boring (imo)

listening to his 2002 shows atm (which is probably peak year for the genre) , damn they really made fantastic tunes then
I think he posted because people wanted the links to the seasons firmwares which are in his signature.

May 7, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #37,143 of 45,723
LPGT Firmware is another one that I really love on my 1A. Loved it since I heard it a couple of months ago. Loaded it again just now. Sings beautifully with 3.02. It just has a charm to it that I can’t describe. Warmth, check! Musicality, check! Smoothness, check!

p.s. always remember to load stock3.02 first before loading any other firmware. It makes a difference.
Wanted to give it à try (use Autumn+ at the time), but in seems installer does not work with EU WM1A ("connect USB" message...)... :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #37,144 of 45,723
By the way, which is the "warmest and smoothest" (no harsh highs, relaxing sound) FW for WM1A in your opinion ?

May 7, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #37,145 of 45,723
By the way, which is the "warmest and smoothest" (no harsh highs, relaxing sound) FW for WM1A in your opinion ?
I would say that vinyl may be a good one for you.

May 7, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #37,146 of 45,723
Any progress on Mac versions of the seasons FW?

May 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #37,147 of 45,723
Wanted to give it à try (use Autumn+ at the time), but in seems installer does not work with EU WM1A ("connect USB" message...)... :frowning2:
Use the Universal (U) installer. It should work fine.

May 7, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #37,148 of 45,723
Try WM1Az or Autumn+. These 2 are warm and smooth. In fact all the seasons firmwares are smooth without any harshness.

May 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #37,149 of 45,723
Use the Universal (U) installer. It should work fine.
By EU, I ment Europe...How can I can I change the installer that comes with the FW package (LPGT for instance) ?

May 7, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #37,150 of 45,723
May 7, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #37,151 of 45,723
Any progress on Mac versions of the seasons FW?
There hasn't been a large demand for them since they only work with macOS Mojave (10.14) or earlier.

May 7, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #37,152 of 45,723
By EU, I ment Europe...How can I can I change the installer that comes with the FW package (LPGT for instance) ?
Ahh. So you need the EU version. Well the seasons firmwares have all the necessary versions in the folders. As for the LPGT, I only have the Universal installer. I believe bro @nc8000 posted a google drive link for all versions some time back.

May 7, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #37,153 of 45,723
Ahh. So you need the EU version. Well the seasons firmwares have all the necessary versions in the folders. As for the LPGT, I only have the Universal installer. I believe bro @nc8000 posted a google drive link for all versions some time back.

Yes but only by pm

May 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #37,154 of 45,723
Interesting to know! i was going to say the same its an advantage the sound headphones produce... they say the better is speakers then headphones then iems but thats what i was thinking today if im missing my speakers do you guys have speaker setup why you chose iems over speakers and headphones? its a good question!

In my case I have a wife and three kids, but don't have a dedicated music room. I sold off my valve amp and gave my speakers away a few years ago and lived with iPhone and AirPods - yeah, they sound crap (Pro's not sooo bad), but recently pulled-out the Mini-Matric DAC I was using with my hifi, installed Audirvana (tousling from MacBook Pro) and plugged in my HD600's (which were being used on the electric piano up to that point), bought new ear pads, head-band and foam pads for the HD's to refurbish them.

But then, of course, when you jump back to something more revealing and precise, then you start listening to the equipment rather than the music and I felt that this combination was sounding rather harsh and really tiring. Even worse, because of the open nature of the HD's, I had to turn them up so loud to drown-out the noise from the family that it was becoming unpleasant.

So I first started looking for a new DAC. Initially I was thinking of a valve-headphone amp with integrated DAC, the Quad PA-One+ was on my list and the Woo Audio WA7, but getting hold of these in Belgium, certainly during C19 lockdown seems impossible. I stumbled across the TA-ZH1E, which looked interesting and tried to buy one cheap from Amazon, but it turned out to be a scam (I realised early enough). During the course of searching for reviews, I somehow stumbled across the NW-WM1Z and loved that it was so stupidly expensive, and gold, plus seems to have a analogue/value sound to it that I like. Under normal circumstances I'd never drop that kind of money on a "walkman", but I've done rather well on the stock-markets these last few months. I first ordered the WM1A as I found it for a good price on Amazon NL.

By pure luck I searched other EU Amazon stores and found the WM1Z for €2000 from Spain - even less for me as I'm VAT registered. Seemed to me that I would no longer have to mess about with streaming and my MacBook, but I could also use it away from the family, in the bedroom, so would solve the HD600 open-back issue. But then one thing lead to another and I ended up ordering the 1ZR's too, on the basis that I could listen anywhere due to closed-back. And then I though "screw-it" and ordered the TA_ZH1E too. The 1ZR's were relatively cheap from Amazon UK at £1350, the ZA from Amazon FR €1450.

The NW-WM1Z arrives va UPS tomorrow - the rest is supposed to be end of next week... Can't find the IEM-1ZR's for the moment, stocks are low everywhere due to C19, but I'm not ruling-out getting those at some point. If the TA- doesn't add anything I'll return it - that's why I like Amazon for these things.

So sorry for the long post, but you have the full story now. Will be interesting to see how the 1Z sounds with my HD600's, if it can drive them, they're 300ohms, I think, so need some juice...

May 7, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #37,155 of 45,723
In my case I have a wife and three kids, but don't have a dedicated music room. I sold off my valve amp and gave my speakers away a few years ago and lived with iPhone and AirPods - yeah, they sound crap (Pro's not sooo bad), but recently pulled-out the Mini-Matric DAC I was using with my hifi, installed Audirvana (tousling from MacBook Pro) and plugged in my HD600's (which were being used on the electric piano up to that point), bought new ear pads, head-band and foam pads for the HD's to refurbish them.

But then, of course, when you jump back to something more revealing and precise, then you start listening to the equipment rather than the music and I felt that this combination was sounding rather harsh and really tiring. Even worse, because of the open nature of the HD's, I had to turn them up so loud to drown-out the noise from the family that it was becoming unpleasant.

So I first started looking for a new DAC. Initially I was thinking of a valve-headphone amp with integrated DAC, the Quad PA-One+ was on my list and the Woo Audio WA7, but getting hold of these in Belgium, certainly during C19 lockdown seems impossible. I stumbled across the TA-ZH1E, which looked interesting and tried to buy one cheap from Amazon, but it turned out to be a scam (I realised early enough). During the course of searching for reviews, I somehow stumbled across the NW-WM1Z and loved that it was so stupidly expensive, and gold, plus seems to have a analogue/value sound to it that I like. Under normal circumstances I'd never drop that kind of money on a "walkman", but I've done rather well on the stock-markets these last few months. I first ordered the WM1A as I found it for a good price on Amazon NL.

By pure luck I searched other EU Amazon stores and found the WM1Z for €2000 from Spain - even less for me as I'm VAT registered. Seemed to me that I would no longer have to mess about with streaming and my MacBook, but I could also use it away from the family, in the bedroom, so would solve the HD600 open-back issue. But then one thing lead to another and I ended up ordering the 1ZR's too, on the basis that I could listen anywhere due to closed-back. And then I though "screw-it" and ordered the TA_ZH1E too. The 1ZR's were relatively cheap from Amazon UK at £1350, the ZA from Amazon FR €1450.

The NW-WM1Z arrives va UPS tomorrow - the rest is supposed to be end of next week... Can't find the IEM-1ZR's for the moment, stocks are low everywhere due to C19, but I'm not ruling-out getting those at some point. If the TA- doesn't add anything I'll return it - that's why I like Amazon for these things.

So sorry for the long post, but you have the full story now. Will be interesting to see how the 1Z sounds with my HD600's, if it can drive them, they're 300ohms, I think, so need some juice...
What you need with the 1Z and TA is the SONY Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 and Audioquest Carbon USB cable. This combo brings out the best in the 1Z and the TA since the dock has active USB clocking circuits and using the PC-USB opens up the TA to higher resolutions than the Walkman port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back