SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #36,721 of 45,723
My A1 just reached 202hrs today. Just checked it right now. Going to be testing it again against the ZX300 once I'm recovered enough to listen for long sessions. I'm coming out from what I assume is the coronavirus and have only really listened to the A1 when the Tylenol alleviated the headache.

It's been a fever dream kinda week for me but at least my A1 has reached it burn in period. I know people on here say that it sounds better with more than the required burn in but for now, at least I can hear its fuller sound signature.

I know about the firmware mods too but for now, I'll enjoy fw 3.01

Ive been listening to some orchestra pieces, mostly Yoko Shimomura but I have other stuff too and on the A1 it all sounds soo damn good! My neurons flare like crazy when I hear the separation between the instruments or when I can focus on certain sounds without them being "blended" into the rest of the music.

I love this little thing.
Your health is the most important thing. Please take good care of yourself.

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #36,722 of 45,723
sure , i'll send you a PM with this one (plus 2 more) later on

That was some good stuff adding it to the proedros collection hhehe

I have audiophile sound card on my PC and capture it to wav: (well avi) then edit them. Convert them in 16bits but it suck. 24bits works well enough when compared to original. Youtube live streams are suck. Just try to preserve quality as much as possible. Good space vs quality.

They have remastered in studio version from Amazon prime but it doesn't capture live performance feel in it.

Dude youtube is youtube haha, dont even wast ya time with this !

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #36,723 of 45,723
I've been playing around with my stock WM1A, I have to say for stock user, on 3.02 base FW, the AVLOS is more warmer Autum+, and Davalos has more of an aggressive bit to it in the treble.
I cannot pick between Autum+ and Avlos, but I think Autum+ is my favourite so far.Thank you @morgenstern09, looking forward to future releases.

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #36,724 of 45,723
With classical fw, you should be able to hear every notes and instruments. Smooth and a bit of warmth. Good separation and focus. 3D space and depth should be more than Vinyl. Object tones are more life like.

Vinyl should do well on all type of musics. Analog records will shine more with this fw. It's an attempt to be sound more like class A/B amplifiers.

I'll upload solis if someone needed
Thanks for the descriptions. So vinyl is supposed to have more bass than classical?

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #36,726 of 45,723
So you trust Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) Harddrives? Supposedly all hard drives from 2016 afterwards are SMR and not perpendicular recording... I read SMR overlaps tracks and order to write data if overlapping the drive must rewrite the whole strip.. some say they are more prone to bad sections quite frequently.. I stor all my music in two 4TB WD my passport external HDD

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #36,727 of 45,723
I was browsing the website of Audirvana, apparently is no longer MAC-only toy. They have also made windows version. Has some one tried it on W10? Whoops they recommend 8GB RAM

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #36,728 of 45,723
Really sorry if I'm being an idiot :frowning2:

I'm trying to update to Diavlos (U) - My WM1A reports the following:

K:\>scsitool-nwz-v25.exe H: dest_tool get
Model: NW-WM1A
Series: NW-WM1 Series
Destination: U (1)
Sound pressure: 0 (off)

...all the installer says is to connect the player to USB :frowning2:

What do I need to do? = I'm on stock 3.02 (have prior to this tried SolisSAE - just bouncing around to see which I like the most)

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #36,729 of 45,723

What do I need to do? = I'm on stock 3.02 (have prior to this tried SolisSAE - just bouncing around to see which I like the most)

Thanks.
That’s the rockbox tool for changing region. To update your firmware just run the diavlos installer and it will update to it. Nothing else to do. If the U installer doesn’t work try the EU installer as your unit may be from that region or J even.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #36,730 of 45,723

Thanks.

U in the mod's name is for the "Universal" variants of WM1A, while U in the "Destination" field in the Rockbox tool means the region of the device, which is USA. Region ≠ Variant :D

And yes, if the installer just says to connect the player, it means that you got the "wrong" mod for your device. You must choose the variant matching your device's factory region (if you ever changed it to U from something else).

In this case I just recommend also trying with JP/EU, one of them has to match your device (just because I have no idea if you changed the destination previously).

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #36,731 of 45,723
Thanks @aceedburn

To be clearer of my own original post - My WM1A can be seen with Rockbox (and also the SolisSAE installer - but, not with the installer for diavlos or aclos installers :frowning2:

You're right in fairness, that this is an EU originating player - I hope that doesn't mean that I have to install the EU version, and nerf the high gain :frowning2:

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #36,732 of 45,723
Thanks @aceedburn
You're right in fairness, that this is an EU originating player - I hope that doesn't mean that I have to install the EU version, and nerf the high gain :frowning2:

Yep, you need to install the EU version. However, your destination will still remain U and you won't get the volume cap, it's just that you have to match the mod with the original destination of your device (which seems to be one from the European variants).

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #36,733 of 45,723
Thanks @morgenstern09 - I'll download the different packages now :)

[Edit] - Diamond - thanks for that - my naivety got the better of me - cheers for the instant help :)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #36,734 of 45,723
Thanks @morgenstern09 - I'll download the different packages now :)

Yes the fw installers are based on the hard region that is on the lavel on the side of the player and not the soft region set by the rockbox tool

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #36,735 of 45,723
Edit: In the meantime, another tuning mod was released for the WM1A (ZTAZ1), which is available here (click). Also, feel free to check out WM1Aᶻ revision B, here (click).

I'm also back with yet another tuning.

Meet the...

WM1A

Get the organic, lush, and warm sound signature of WM1Z, with
increased sound stage and impeccable imaging, on your WM1A.
Truly balanced sound that transforms your 1A to 1Z, without having
to spend anything to modify your precious DAP*. This could be the
ultimate upgrade firmware for anyone who likes a warm sound that

is unlike any other on your 1A.

If you applied other tunings before, it's recommended that you first flash the stock 3.02 firmware (download here) before applying one of this tuning.

Feel free to give it a try,
here (click).

As always, feedback would be really appreciated, as it may also help others in deciding
to give this a try :)

Also, as for other previous mods, this is based on stock 3.02, region J (but it sounds good on MX3 as well, give it a try). Also, this is only for WM1A, as the point
is to make the 1A sound as close as possible to 1Z, with improved soundstage.

Thanks again, @aceedburn, for helping with the testing and with the description for the mod!

I almost forgot, enjoy! :)

*Just want to mention that I have nothing against hardware modding, everyone is free to do as they wish with their hardware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back