SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #36,736 of 45,723
Seeing that I'm bouncing around all of the mods at the moment (I wish I'd have kept up with this thread!) - let me be the first to say that the WM1Az mod on very initial listening is fantastic @morgenstern09

The Diavlos version was a bit heavy for me - this WM1Az version is bang on the money - a delicious punch at the bottom end, and a generally more open (airy) feel than stock.

This has brought new life into my listening - making the balanced AK T8ie mkII sing even more sweetly than I'm used to :D

This is after 2-3 minutes of listening I must obviously say, but - with one of my absolutely favourite tracks that I know inside out and back to front :)

[edit] I don’t have a 1Z to compare to, so cannot say if this is mission successful, but my god, this makes female vocals sound good!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #36,737 of 45,723
Seeing that I'm bouncing around all of the mods at the moment (I wish I'd have kept up with this thread!) - let me be the first to say that the WM1Az mod on very initial listening is fantastic @morgenstern09

The Diavlos version was a bit heavy for me - this WM1Az version is bang on the money - a delicious punch at the bottom end, and a generally more open (airy) feel than stock.

This has brought new life into my listening - making the balanced AK T8ie mkII sing even more sweetly than I'm used to :D

This is after 2-3 minutes of listening I must obviously say, but - with one of my absolutely favourite tracks that I know inside out and back to front :)
Indeed. When I was testing it a while back, I had goosebumps. I’ve always liked a warm yet musical sounding dap and although I knew the 1Z has that signature it was out of reach when I picked up my 1A. Now I have no regrets. WM1Az firmware on 1A is quite simply unrealistically superb.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #36,738 of 45,723
I’m trying this new WM1Az,until now I used Solis/J 3.02...I must say that this touch of warmth on the low notes, the more airy sound and a wider soundstage...listening is absolutely wonderful,absolutely outstanding.
maybe/probably Solis is more revealing and has more punch, but simply they're two different types of listening, and I take this opportunity to thank those who dedicate their time to these mods/ tuning sharing them with all of us!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #36,739 of 45,723
Converted all Hi-res content in walkman to 16/44.1 or 16/48, library is 969GB approx
15879229274377302354317906429779.jpg

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #36,741 of 45,723
Wow! Those hours of use! I still wish that Bluetooth connectivity added to the stats.
Probably it has more hours, as in the first FWs from sony I experienced random crashes and lost like 800 to 1200h count

Apr 26, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #36,743 of 45,723
Really sorry if I'm being an idiot :frowning2:

I'm trying to update to Diavlos (U) - My WM1A reports the following:

K:\>scsitool-nwz-v25.exe H: dest_tool get
Model: NW-WM1A
Series: NW-WM1 Series
Destination: U (1)
Sound pressure: 0 (off)

...all the installer says is to connect the player to USB :frowning2:

What do I need to do? = I'm on stock 3.02 (have prior to this tried SolisSAE - just bouncing around to see which I like the most)

Thanks.
Go mx3 region and use universal installer mx3 its awesome!!!!!!

Apr 26, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #36,744 of 45,723
Go mx3 region and use universal installer mx3 its awesome!!!!!!
I’ve switched to MX3, alongside WM1Az, holy moly - I always thought that the T8ie mkII sounded like full sized headphones, now I know they do! What a brilliant day this has been! - a totally different listening experience to what I’ve been used to with the WM1A, it drives both harder and cleaner than I’ve ever given it credit for.

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #36,746 of 45,723
I watched Hawaiibadboy's Youtube review of the WM1A - he really sold it to me saying (not direct words) that other brands are always coming out with a something newer and better eg. newer chips etc, whereas Sony has their own technology, they do it well, and for him it's a keeper.

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #36,747 of 45,723
It’s difficult for me to express how much I love the forum here and all of our users.

I won’t mention any names because you all know all know who you are. Thank you to everyone contributing and making “old” technology remain the best technology.

Also, thank you Sony for bringing us all these incredible products. Aside from the little stuff, Sony has me as a fan for life.

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #36,749 of 45,723
Is the MX3 anther FW?
There is a Rockbox Tool that changes the firmware location of the WM1 players, changing tonality slightly depending on the market that you change it to (and enables removal of the volume limit / reminder if you’re in the EU)

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #36,750 of 45,723
Is the MX3 anther FW?
There is a Rockbox Tool that changes the firmware location of the WM1 players, changing tonality slightly depending on the market that you change it to (and enables removal of the volume limit / reminder if you’re in the EU)

You'll need to open CMD (Win+R and then type CMD and press Enter), then change directory to where you put the downloaded tool (move it to the Desktop for example and then do "cd Desktop" (no commas) in the CMD console). To change the destination, just do "scsitool-nwz-v25.exe G: dest_tool set MX3 0", where G: is the drive letter for the internal storage of the Walkman, after you enable Mass Storage on the device.

Before you do that, you can see what destination your device already is by doing "scsitool-nwz-v25.exe G: dest_tool get", just in case you want to set it back to the previous one.

To switch to J, for example, you do "scsitool-nwz-v25.exe G: dest_tool set J 0" (0 controls the sound pressure/volume cap setting - 0 means it's off).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back