SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #36,766 of 45,723
This new world of possibility is making me wish I had a second WM1A to A-B!!!

WM1A-z1 (on MX3) seems to be cleaner, more linear sounding than WM1A-z - very pure...

Thanks again @morgenstern09 - seems I'm going to be having an enjoyable time under lockdown after all.

For a sound that's a bit more relaxed, I sugest you also try the J region. :wink:

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #36,767 of 45,723
For a sound that's a bit more relaxed, I sugest you also try the J region. :wink:
Funnily I just edited my previous post, I don’t understand Japanese, so I was wondering if I switch region but don’t reset, do the regional tonal differences get applied?

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #36,768 of 45,723
Funnily I just edited my previous post, I don’t understand Japanese, so I was wondering if I switch region but don’t reset, do the regional tonal differences get applied?

Oh, you don't have to reset, by the way. A restart is enough, after changing the region.

So choose English, set region to J, and then just turn off/on or restart.

J region disables the possibility of choosing another language, but it will keep the language you had before changing the region.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #36,769 of 45,723
Oh, you don't have to reset, by the way. A restart is enough, after changing the region.

So choose English, set region to J, and then just turn off/on or restart.

J region disables the possibility of choosing another language, but it will keep the language you had before changing the region.
Great! Yes, J version alongside WM1A-z1 wow!

I’ll just need to remember in future times to NOT reset the player, I remember it took me something like an hour to fumble my way through the menus to be able to reset to U hehe

You are a legend!

edit - yay! The remote control option is now there, just need to find one...

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #36,771 of 45,723
Apr 27, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #36,772 of 45,723
Hello again, this time with...

WM1A-z1

An attempt at bringing the nuanced and refined sound signature of
the DMP-Z1 to our awesome little WM1A. Lush, airy and live vocals
come forward majestically, surrounded by silky smooth treble and
superb definition and depth of bass. Feel the sound all around you,
thanks to the expansive sound stage and impressive imaging.

Feel free to give this a try, here (click). Feedback would be appreciated!

As for previous mods, this is based on stock 3.02, region J (though it may sound good with other regions as well).

Thanks once again to @aceedburn, for helping with testing and with the description for the mod :)

Enjoy 3000!
Thanks so much. It is another lovely FW with smoothness, airy presentation, great soundstage and resolution for my modded 1A, 3.02 Region J.

My new favourite now!

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #36,773 of 45,723
Thanks so much. It is another lovely FW with smoothness, airy presentation, great soundstage and resolution for my modded 1A, 3.02 Region J.

My new favourite now!

Fully agree, these are some great Firmwares.
I’ll be listening to them more in the next few days, but I’m definitely liking what I’m hearing. Very nice timbre and soundstage.
Awesome job @morgenstern09 @aceedburn
Stock MW1A Region J.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #36,774 of 45,723
Go mx3 region and use universal installer mx3 its awesome!!!!!!

Yep, WM1A sounds really nice with MX3!

Always torn between J & MX3, tend to fall back to J as is more balanced & resolving with my IEM's/hearing, either ways top two regions IMO. You get a good bass boost with MX3 and a smooth U shaped sound signature, however the likes of cymbal crashes are slightly veiled, with a shorter presentation, doesn't sound as accurate to me as J.

Music feels a little less energetic with MX3 versus J, don't have a feeling of any lack of bass on J Sound\garden's Spoonman bangs it out without the bass spilling into the mid and the highs remain clear. If I want to trip out on bass I'll switch to the XBA-N3, already strong on single ended, with Sony's 4.4 Kimber cable inbound...

As ever just personal impressions and totally subjective.

Audioslave, aren't we all :)
600x600bb.jpg
Banging....

Special Request - Vortex
600x600bb.jpg
55 seconds in will reveal if your tuning and or gear is up for bass, album builds and builds...

WM1A, Sony 3.02, Region J, High Gain, DC Phase Lineariser - Type B Standard, Vinyl Processor - Surface Noise, IEM's in the signature.

If your getting lost in the music, your already there...

Q-6

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #36,777 of 45,723
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #36,778 of 45,723
Always torn between J & MX3, tend to fall back to J as is more balanced & resolving with my IEM's/hearing, either ways top two regions IMO. You get a good bass boost with MX3 and a smooth U shaped sound signature, however the likes of cymbal crashes are slightly veiled, with a shorter presentation, doesn't sound as accurate to me as J.

Music feels a little less energetic with MX3 versus J, don't have a feeling of any lack of bass on J Sound\garden's Spoonman bangs it out without the bass spilling into the mid and the highs remain clear. If I want to trip out on bass I'll switch to the XBA-N3, already strong on single ended, with Sony's 4.4 Kimber cable inbound...

As ever just personal impressions and totally subjective.

Audioslave, aren't we all :)
600x600bb.jpg
Banging....

Special Request - Vortex
600x600bb.jpg
55 seconds in will reveal if your tuning and or gear is up for bass, album builds and builds...

WM1A, Sony 3.02, Region J, High Gain, DC Phase Lineariser - Type B Standard, Vinyl Processor - Surface Noise, IEM's in the signature.

If your getting lost in the music, your already there...

Q-6
so you have to pick a winner or you can allways come and go... 3.00 its the mx3 of the FW IMO awesome song You guys know who are my winners lol

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #36,779 of 45,723
I’m staying on J but still can’t make up my mind if I prefer Solis or Autumn+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back