SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #36,752 of 45,723
Music always sounds better at night.

It will be awesome if after all this trip into newer and beter FW you went back to 3.00 just to check it

I was very sckeptical about that FW since it happened so fast the trsition but with my iem via SE still the best combo I spended a year in 3.01 and have tried the majority of FW and only can say its very shouty on some iems but on very capable ones with deep bass and not harsh highs its magical... will revisit 3.02 soon..

And if sony does a 3.03 I wish they look deeply on 3.00 for me they where very focus on that one since they instroduced the vinyl procesor I think they where afraid that users complain about changing their sound on a 1000 or 3000 US Gear so they focused very well.. and really succeded in making an awesome staging and also making the vinil procesor work as intended.... then 3.01 make bass users like me happy! and then 3.02 for my ears is really weird... its like balanced sound witha ton of finese no doubt but im already in love with 3.00 MX3 wich is a like a sound mondster it just screams reality to my ears and its the most shouty combo.. but the amount of Resolution it pulls out and bass is very deep after proper EQ...

I would only say after many comes and goes to 3.02 that 3.02 sounds fuller cleaner and constrained and 3.00 shouty but its 3D cues are further more real to my ears and iem combo.. and custom FW feels a little like overlaping if you get me...dough i insist on you guys keep it going since options are very wellcome i just wish someone really codes having 3.00 staging and balance in mind... just an idea.... I like all new FW and if sony decides 3.03 will be an option or hey what about a hole new 4.0 with some extra features wouldnt that be great?.. i always wanted a cassete emulator maybe some options or vary the staging widening knoob I noticed also in dmp 1.01 that there is this muddiness in the center some of you have described but when I tried my headphones on it simulates the empty space of my head really well so its like center is muddier it works like charm on headphones why not to use it as an option I wonder..

only company for me that took 3D audio seriously for me was sensaura wich was inmediatly bought and silenced by creative since i think it was their more serious rival you can read this... well if you se they worked a lot on binaural recordings I whish the company where still alive today and allways wanted some other giant like Sony to take a huge bite into their work. let me tell you if something i love about my 1A its they staging and how sound positioning its doned specially on 3.00 I just wish they include a little bit more of customization.. cheers and sorry for the long post i need to take this out and share. (leave you gusy some link to some of their work sorry if I went of toppic)

Untitled.png
images.jpg

Attachments

• devpc009.pdf
    285.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #36,753 of 45,723
Music always sounds better at night.

Love that album... but who doesn't.

And with your comment, I presume you are talking about the music from your walkman, through batteries...

That just made me reflect on the common believe of an "cleaner electrical power" from the mains at night - due to low grid usage - that makes audio equipment sound better at that time of the day. I have been aligned to that though for a while, since my home stereo sounds better at night.... but now that you mention it.... my walkman does it too! :astonished: LOL

Maybe as few other "audiophile" believes, it is all in my head...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #36,754 of 45,723
Hey guys I was looking to try out the firmware mod for the wm1a to change the region code but it seems I can't find any information on the software to use and the stuff I have found always had links that have stopped working so I'd appreciate if anyone could point me the way to the software.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #36,755 of 45,723
Maybe as few other "audiophile" believes, it is all in my head..

I would say it's more related to our state of mind at night, and not to a possible cleaner current or anything.

It will be awesome if after all this trip into newer and beter FW you went back to 3.00 just to check it

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of using previous firmware versions. But to each their own, I have no issue with that :)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #36,757 of 45,723
Hey guys I was looking to try out the firmware mod for the wm1a to change the region code but it seems I can't find any information on the software to use and the stuff I have found always had links that have stopped working so I'd appreciate if anyone could point me the way to the software.
Hi,

the most up to date information was posted on the previous page :)

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #36,758 of 45,723
Edit: In the meantime, another tuning mod was released for the WM1A (ZTAZ1), which is available here (click).

Hello again, this time with...

WM1A-z1

An attempt at bringing the nuanced and refined sound signature of
the DMP-Z1 to our awesome little WM1A. Lush, airy and live vocals
come forward majestically, surrounded by silky smooth treble and
superb definition and depth of bass. Feel the sound all around you,
thanks to the expansive sound stage and impressive imaging.

If you applied other tunings before, it's recommended that you first flash the stock 3.02 firmware (download here) before applying one of these tunings.

Feel free to give this a try, here (click). Feedback would be appreciated!

As for previous mods, this is based on stock 3.02, region J (though it may sound good with other regions as well).

Thanks once again to @aceedburn, for helping with testing and with the description for the mod :)

Enjoy 3000!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #36,759 of 45,723
Hello again, this time with...

WM1A-z1

An attempt at bringing the nuanced and refined sound signature of
the DMP-Z1 to our awesome little WM1A. Lush, airy and live vocals
come forward majestically, surrounded by silky smooth treble and
superb definition and depth of bass. Feel the sound all around you,
thanks to the expansive sound stage and impressive imaging.

Feel free to give this a try, here (click).

As for previous mods, this is based on stock 3.02, region J (though it may sound good with other regions as well).

Thanks once again to @aceedburn, for helping with testing and with the description for the mod :)

Enjoy 3000!
Fresh off the press. I think this is the fastest release post tuning and testing thus far. Enjoy guys! This will give you goosebumps too!

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #36,762 of 45,723
What is the ideal way to install all this FW? I keep flashing back to stock and I than install the new FW, is this necessarily?
Not necessary to reflash stock. I’ve flashed hundreds of times. Just run the installer over your existing and you’re done

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #36,764 of 45,723
This new world of possibility is making me wish I had a second WM1A to A-B!!!

WM1A-z1 (on MX3) seems to be cleaner, more linear sounding than WM1A-z - very pure...

Thanks again @morgenstern09 - seems I'm going to be having an enjoyable time under lockdown after all.

[edit] a question if I may - when I first got my WM1A I straight away swapped it to J, and had one helluva nightmare working out how to get it into English (hence my player ended up on U region) - if I switch you J to keep English language menus but don’t reset the player, do the sound differences (regional) apply? thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #36,765 of 45,723
to people who like electronic music , this is (for me) the Greatest Prog House compilation by the master of the genre

Released in 2001 , still sounds modern and cutting edge (to me at least)

CD 1 is a more druggy, dark type of Prog House but CD 2 is where the rollercoaster begins

Fantastic stuff , i have been coming back to this mix time after time for the last 19 years...

Thanks for your post!! There's me searching Tidal, Amazon and Qobuz to have a listen and realised I have this album on my NAS!! Giving it a listen right now! Was listening to John Digweeds Essential mix from 2010 just prior!

Quite a nostalgic period this lockdown!

20200427_102318_copy_907x1612.jpg

20200427_102421_copy_1600x614.jpg

20200427_102350_copy_885x1594.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back