SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #37,156 of 45,723
What you need with the 1Z and TA is the SONY Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 and Audioquest Carbon USB cable. This combo brings out the best in the 1Z and the TA since the dock has active USB clocking circuits and using the PC-USB opens up the TA to higher resolutions than the Walkman port.

Thanks dude. Looks like the cradle is only available from Japan, right?

Really, USB cable makes a difference? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I see a difference with upgraded HDMI on my 4KOLED, etc.

I was about to say that the Carbon cable was expensive, but then I saw the "Diamond" :smile:

And no doubt I'll be looking to upgrade the MDR-1ZR cable at some point - the Sony/Kimber doesn't seem too expensive, but it is a bit on the short side...

May 7, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #37,157 of 45,723

Really, USB cable makes a difference? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I see a difference with upgraded HDMI on my 4KOLED, etc.

I was about to say that the Carbon cable was expensive, but then I saw the "Diamond" :smile:

And no doubt I'll be looking to upgrade the MDR-1ZR cable at some point - the Sony/Kimber doesn't seem too expensive, but it is a bit on the short side...
The cradle only seems to be available in Japan but I bought mine thru Amazon.

The Carbon is a excellent upgrade for a reasonable price.

The best cable for the MDR-1ZR is the Kimber AXIOS Cu which can be custom made to any length. But the standard length is 2x the Sony/Kimber. But you also go from 8 wires to 16 wires and it's a work of art.

May 7, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #37,160 of 45,723
The cradle only seems to be available in Japan but I bought mine thru Amazon.

The Carbon is a excellent upgrade for a reasonable price.

The best cable for the MDR-1ZR is the Kimber AXIOS Cu which can be custom made to any length. But the standard length is 2x the Sony/Kimber. But you also go from 8 wires to 16 wires and it's a work of art.

Ugh - $1000 for that (balanced 2m) cable - I'm not tight or anything, but that's some money to pay to replace what is probably already a pretty decent stock cable. Would need to provide a seiorus sound upgrade, but then you'd be wondering why Sony would ship such excellent headphones with something sub-standard.

To be fair, I bought some Kimber speaker cables with my last hi-fi setup and they sounded magnificent... Anyone that says interconnects don't change the sound are, well, wrong.

May 7, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #37,161 of 45,723
Tour De France is one of my favourites
I prefer some of those originals to the 3-D compilation versions, but they sound awesome - all those different frequencies bouncing around really make me smile and enjoy this hobby.

May 7, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #37,164 of 45,723

We had an event last year with Sony and our rep brought the cradle. I said it was cool and if we could order them. He said it was an "Asia Exclusive" at the moment.

Asia getting all the cool accessories.

May 7, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #37,165 of 45,723
Ugh - $1000 for that (balanced 2m) cable - I'm not tight or anything, but that's some money to pay to replace what is probably already a pretty decent stock cable. Would need to provide a seiorus sound upgrade, but then you'd be wondering why Sony would ship such excellent headphones with something sub-standard.

To be fair, I bought some Kimber speaker cables with my last hi-fi setup and they sounded magnificent... Anyone that says interconnects don't change the sound are, well, wrong.
The stock cable is silver plated so it has a tendency to accentuate the highs which is a shame as an all copper cable like the Sony/Kimber or Kimber AXIOS Cu smooth it out.

May 7, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #37,166 of 45,723
We had an event last year with Sony and our rep brought the cradle. I said it was cool and if we could order them. He said it was an "Asia Exclusive" at the moment.

What models do you think will work with the cradle? I see them for sale on eBay and thinking of getting one for my NW-A55.

May 7, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #37,167 of 45,723
What models do you think will work with the cradle? I see them for sale on eBay and thinking of getting one for my NW-A55.

Any model with a WM Port should work. It comes with adapters to fit the width of different models. I’ve used it with WM1Z, ZX1 & ZX2 without a problem

May 7, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #37,168 of 45,723
Any model with a WM Port should work. It comes with adapters to fit the width of different models. I’ve used it with WM1Z, ZX1 & ZX2 without a problem

Yes, as far as I know, this adapter just has some circuitry that uses the digital output of the WM port while also providing current to the charging pins.

May 7, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #37,169 of 45,723
I'm peachy keen on the WM1A but as I add up the multiple extra costs of getting one to me it is a lot of $$, for the dap itself, ok, but the extras - ouch! A few pages ago I was selling it to myself regardless of age, but that voice of doubt creeps in. I know it's anybodies guess, but with the state of the world and the extra cost of freight and parts etc would it be likely that Sony would release a successor in the near future?

May 7, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #37,170 of 45,723
I'm peachy keen on the WM1A but as I add up the multiple extra costs of getting one to me it is a lot of $$, for the dap itself, ok, but the extras - ouch! A few pages ago I was selling it to myself regardless of age, but that voice of doubt creeps in. I know it's anybodies guess, but with the state of the world and the extra cost of freight and parts etc would it be likely that Sony would release a successor in the near future?
Just a guess, chances of new WM1A in 2020 is 0%, 2021 is 10-15%, 2022 is 15%-20%. Well, you get the gist of it...

Realistically, I think with the world economy going down the drain now, maybe 2023, and given how slow Sony does things, more realistically maybe 2024 or 2025, if we are talking about WM1XXX successors. And besides, modded 1A/1Z is just so ahead that it would take huge discoveries and implementation on Sony part to comfortably come with worthy successors.

Put it this way, it makes more sense for the world to discover vaccine or cure to Covid19 much earlier than Sony to come out with successor to 1A/1Z

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back